Sad Day - voice of Mickey has passed

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
just saw this on the comcast news site....

LOS ANGELES — Wayne Allwine (AHL'-wine), the actor who voiced Mickey Mouse for more than 30 years, has died.

The Walt Disney Co. says Allwine died Monday of complications from diabetes. He was 62.

His wife of 20 years and the voice of Minnie Mouse, Russi Taylor, was by his side.

Allwine has voiced Disney's main mouse since 1977. He joined the company in 1966 when he took a job in the mail room and went on to work in the sound effects department, where he began trying his voiceover talents.

so very sad - i feel so deeply for his family....and for all of us he brought so much joy to over those 30 years.

ahhh that's sad.

i saw them interviewed a few months back - it was so cute - they were saying that mickey and minnie weren't married but their voices were.

:(

If he has done Mickey's voice for 32 years, does that mean nobody else has? And who will replace him?

I love that his wife is Minnie...

:sad1:

OMG...I never really thought about Mickey having a real live human voice:guilty:

This is horrible! That's the voice of Mickey I grew up with! And I always loved that Mickey and Minnie were in love in real life too...

This breaks my heart, it truly does. Rest in Peace sir, you were a true artist to bring that kind of life to Mickey.

I wonder what the future holds for our mouse now. I wonder if they'll find someone who can do the voice almost identically or if the voice of Mickey will change, yet again as we know it.

RIP....

Wayne Allwine, the actor who voiced Mickey Mouse for more than 30 years, has died. The Walt Disney Co. says Allwine died Monday of complications from diabetes, with Russi Taylor, his wife of 20 years and the voice of Minnie Mouse, by his side. He was 62.
Skip over this content
Recent Losses in TinseltownStephen Shugerman, Getty Images20 photos Wayne Allwine, May 18: The actor, was only the third man behind Mickey Mouse's falsetto, died of complications of diabetes at age 62. At his side was wife Russi Taylor, who for years voiced Minnie Mouse. If you heard Mickey after 1977, there's a good chance it was Allwine.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

"Wayne dedicated his entire professional life to Disney," chief executive Robert Iger said in a statement Wednesday. "Over the last 32 years, (he) gave so much joy, happiness and comfort to so many around the world by giving voice to our most beloved, iconic character, Mickey Mouse."
A Southern California native, Allwine joined Disney in 1966 when he took a job in the mail room. He went on to work in the sound effects department and began voicing the company's main mouse in 1977.
His falsetto can be heard in 1983's "Mickey's Christmas Carol," 1988's "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and at Disney theme parks around the world. He won an Emmy Award in 1986 for his sound editing on the NBC series "Amazing Stories."
Allwine was the third man behind Mickey's voice. The first was Disney himself, then Jimmy MacDonald, who became Allwine's mentor and passed him the reins after voicing the mouse for 30 years.
Skip over this content

'Mickey's Christmas Carol,' 1983

Three Mickeys

"He said, 'Just remember kid, you're only filling in for the boss,"' Allwine once recalled. "And that's the way he treated doing Mickey for years and years."
"Mickey's the real star," Allwine continued. "You know you just have to love the little guy while you have him, because he won't be yours forever."
Roy E. Disney, director emeritus for The Walt Disney Co., said Allwine did more than give Mickey a voice. He "gave him a heart and soul as well."
"He did an incredible job of bringing emotion, humor and appeal to the character, and superbly carried on the tradition originated by my Uncle Walt, and later by sound-effects wizard Jimmy Macdonald."
Besides Taylor, Allwine is survived by five children from a previous marriage: Erin, Alison, Peter, Christopher and Joshua.
2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. // Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. // Copyright

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter