Sad News Out of the Contemporary

Damn, I didn't think I could love Pete more, but his speech about suicide today was out of this world fantastic. This is what really makes The DIS so unique. I guarantee every other Disney World podcast will completely ignore this story, or maybe mention it for like 10 seconds and just say it's sad. But Pete puts a spotlight on an incredibly uncomfortable and tragic situation, and speaks about it with elegance and compassion. Not only that, but revealing his own personal battles as well. Pete opens himself up to his audience in a way that is beyond what anyone could and should ask for. I am so friggen happy that Pete is happy and has (at least seemingly) beaten down those demons; you can really tell he's got a passion for life. Long live Pete and long live the DIS.

But why make such a private thing so public? Just thinking about all the children that could have been around to see this makes me sick.

We do not know the state of mind that the victim was in prior to the incident - and as Pete said, for many of us, we can never really understand it. This may have been the only option that they saw for them.

Pete did an amazing job on the show with his speech though. Major props to him.

I understand Pete's point about if you've never been to the point of attempting suicide, then you don't really know what it's like, etc. But why make such a private thing so public? Just thinking about all the children that could have been around to see this makes me sick.

You are showing the full truth about what Pete said on the show today about people not being able to rationalize or empathize with the mindset of someone willing to go through with suicide. And I don't mean that as an attack or insult in the slightest, I think this is a very common and understandable mindset. And I'm not saying I totally disagree, mainly because I cannot fathom what made him take his life at Disney World. But again, just like Pete said.... we have no idea what this guy was thinking, and what type of unrelenting pain he was in. Maybe jumping in front of the monorail made total sense to him, we don't know.

Just wanted to add that I really appreciate Pete being as open as he was and thought he stated things perfectly. I especially liked towards the end when he said "You can't understand what is going through that person's mind ... and that is ok" I think sometimes you can feel powerless in these situations because you can't identify but hearing from Pete that it is ok and that just letting that person know you are there for them, etc. can help and obviously not to shame it or anything or minimize what they are going through

A daughter of a goof friend of my wife's is going through this now (she set a date to kill herself, had been cutting herself, etc.) and I know I had been having trouble processing it b/c she always seems upbeat when I see her (this is the result of cyber-bullying so another smack in the face of the impacts that can have for me as well)

I really appreciated it too. As someone who has treated depression, has considered suicide, and had a grandmother who committed suicide, I appreciate Pete's candor and his appeal for understanding. It's really impossible to understand the situation unless you have been there. If we can remove the shame associated with depression and treat it like a health issue, instead of a character flaw, then we can help reduce incidences like this. My heart goes out to everyone involved, and I hope for more empathy and better understanding.

Count me as another person who appreciates Pete sharing his story. I have struggled with depression my entire life. I did not receive help until very recently because of the shame I felt and the feeling of weakness. I always thought I should just be able to make myself snap out of it. My depression not only affected me, it took a toll on my family and I also felt that taking my life was a viable option. Mental illness is exhausting and requires regular treatment. With therapy and medication I finally feel like I'm living my life. I don't offer up that I treat for mental illness but if the topic comes up I will say I take meds with no shame. We need to normalize this illness and not treat it with secrecy and shame.

I will also say that even during my saddest days this podcast and the Dis community has always been a ray of light and I am grateful for all of you.

My brother committed suicide on October 29, 2009. It's something you never get over. If I had only known and understood the depth of his anguish - maybe I could have helped. I tend to be a perpetually happy individual so I didn't understand how debilitating depression, and what I think was undiagnosed bi-polar, could be.

I know that some of you guys are just trying to be funny, but let's please be respectful with this very sad and unfortunate situation. Someone died on their Disney vacation - it's really not appropriate to make light of that. :sad1:

Some of the "...and at a Disney resort, of all places" comments are breathtaking in their insensitivity.

I wanted to chime in with my thanks to Pete for his commentary on this topic. Three years ago now my mother attempted to take her life (not for the first time, but for the first time in my adult life). Fortunately, I found her soon enough and she was able to receive the medical and psychological help she needed.

While my mother was in the ICU, the day after her attempt, the watch-nurse said to my mother that it wasn't my job to take care of her, it was her job to take care of me. I was in too much shock after such a hard experience and after such a heartless comment that I didn't respond. I think about this often now - what I would say to this woman if I had the chance now. I would tell her that she should not be a nurse. I would tell her that my mother suffers from an extreme mental illness that has impacted her entire life and will continue to do so for the rest of her life. And I would tell her that it is my privilege to care for my mother, in the same way I would care for her if she was on her death bed with cancer.

The stigma surrounding mental illness persists, and is especially prevalent for suicide. It's a stigma with an overwhelming impact on the person who suffers from mental illness. It's also a stigma that impacts those who love that person.

Not only is there a stigma to mental illness, the access to care is horrendous and horribly expensive when it is available. How many people can really manage weekly visits for $150 each? As a family practice physician, I have dozens of patients who desperately need mental health care and simply can't get it. There just aren't enough providers to go around. Many patients opt to "self-medicate" with drugs and alcohol that could have been avoided had quality mental health care been available. As a result, many end up in the legal system and it's just a downward spiral from there.

Not only is there a stigma to mental illness, the access to care is horrendous and horribly expensive when it is available. How many people can really manage weekly visits for $150 each? As a family practice physician, I have dozens of patients who desperately need mental health care and simply can't get it. There just aren't enough providers to go around. Many patients opt to "self-medicate" with drugs and alcohol that could have been avoided had quality mental health care been available. As a result, many end up in the legal system and it's just a downward spiral from there.
I want to 'like' this, except that I don't like it. :( But it's the truth, Steve, and it's really a sad state of affairs.

Count me as another person who appreciates Pete sharing his story. I have struggled with depression my entire life. I did not receive help until very recently because of the shame I felt and the feeling of weakness. I always thought I should just be able to make myself snap out of it. My depression not only affected me, it took a toll on my family and I also felt that taking my life was a viable option. Mental illness is exhausting and requires regular treatment. With therapy and medication I finally feel like I'm living my life. I don't offer up that I treat for mental illness but if the topic comes up I will say I take meds with no shame. We need to normalize this illness and not treat it with secrecy and shame.

I will also say that even during my saddest days this podcast and the Dis community has always been a ray of light and I am grateful for all of you.

Thank you for sharing this. Huge and love! I hope to see you post more here!!

I think many of us feel a better connection to this issue because of Pete's speech. It was in no way a rant, but a heartfelt tale, and probably hit closer to home because we know Pete as he is today and not him in his 20's. Hearing the stories of his past shows what someone can overcome, and how things can turn around. There is a part of me that wishes Pete had kept his job as a counselor in NJ or worked with the VA because I am sure he would help so many people but his job is too important to me now.

I think many of us feel a better connection to this issue because of Pete's speech. It was in no way a rant, but a heartfelt tale, and probably hit closer to home because we know Pete as he is today and not him in his 20's. Hearing the stories of his past shows what someone can overcome, and how things can turn around. There is a part of me that wishes Pete had kept his job as a counselor in NJ or worked with the VA because I am sure he would help so many people but his job is too important to me now.

Although given the reach he has with his platform know, one could argue he actually reaches more people and makes an even bigger positive impact

I heard Pete's comments on the way home from work today. Wow! This show has had some truly amazing moments over the past 10 years and this surely ranks near the top. Pete's words were probably the most heartfelt, articulate, honest, intelligent, and compassionate I have ever heard on the subject of suicide. His speech should be required listening for anyone who struggles to gain some level of understanding of this topic. Kudos to you, Pete, for once again using this show about something as whimsical and light-hearted as Disney as a platform to broach a difficult and delicate subject in an astounding way.

Having just heard this portion of the podcast on the drive to work this morning, I'd just echo many of the wonderful comments in this thread thanking Pete for his loving and insightful words. And frankly I'd like to thank so many other posters for their compassionate comments here. I think this may have been Pete and the Dis at some of their best.

Thank you Pete, and blessings to all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter