Sad News Out of the Contemporary

Not only is there a stigma to mental illness, the access to care is horrendous and horribly expensive when it is available. How many people can really manage weekly visits for $150 each? As a family practice physician, I have dozens of patients who desperately need mental health care and simply can't get it. There just aren't enough providers to go around. Many patients opt to "self-medicate" with drugs and alcohol that could have been avoided had quality mental health care been available. As a result, many end up in the legal system and it's just a downward spiral from there.

This is absolutely true, and some psychiatrists are unbelievably dismissive. I have severe depression. Severe enough that I've had a full plan for suicide and was planning the best time to do it. I tried to get help, I saw psychiatrists. They all put me on SSRIs or SNRIs even though they made me hallucinate. They told me to "just ignore the hallucinations" or "just learn to live with them". I spiraled deeper and deeper into depression. I hit a point where I just couldn't feel any emotion anymore. Everything was just grey, everything was hopeless. I got the motivation to see one more doctor, to try one more time. I'm lucky enough that I found an amazing psychiatrist who has worked so closely with my neurologist and me to find a medical plan that works. I still have bad days, but I actually laugh again and have some hope for the future.

This is absolutely true, and some psychiatrists are unbelievably dismissive. I have severe depression. Severe enough that I've had a full plan for suicide and was planning the best time to do it. I tried to get help, I saw psychiatrists. They all put me on SSRIs or SNRIs even though they made me hallucinate. They told me to "just ignore the hallucinations" or "just learn to live with them". I spiraled deeper and deeper into depression. I hit a point where I just couldn't feel any emotion anymore. Everything was just grey, everything was hopeless. I got the motivation to see one more doctor, to try one more time. I'm lucky enough that I found an amazing psychiatrist who has worked so closely with my neurologist and me to find a medical plan that works. I still have bad days, but I actually laugh again and have some hope for the future.

I am happy you found a doctor. I agree that it's hard to find someone who works and when you aren't feeling well even the thought of bothering to seek treatment feels like an insurmountable task.

Sorry to hear about what you went through/are still going through - but glad you found the right person for you

Also glad that you will be attending the Hershey meet ... I will be sure to say hi!

Kudos to Pete for calling attention to the "stigma and shame" of mental illness that unfortunately does still exist, have dealt with it myself over the years. Hugs and love to all those out there who are suffering - either in the unfortunate grips of your own psyche, or dealing with someone who is. May your suffering come to an end soon. And again - loving sympathy to the friends and family of this news story's victim.

Thank you for sharing this. Know that this is a place you can come to for a smile. Big hugs.

I just listened tonight to the podcast and was struck by Pete's words.. In a former life (up until 4 years ago), I practiced psychiatry and remember well the anguish and despair my patients would describe and the long hard journeys traveled back to health, as well as those who were lost to their disease.
Well said, Pete, well said.

I almost didn't open this thread--figured it was a zombie. My gosh, some amazingly insightful comments here. I am way behind on my podcasts, so I'll have to go listen. But lots of you guys have been very eloquent here as well. Hope you're sharing that information in other places, too. It really is the stigma and shame that keep depression from getting the attention it needs in the insurance world--people aren't willing to fight as hard for coverage when it means admitting to such a derided "condition." My kudos to all you survivors, the sufferers and the friends/family alike. Hopefully your sharing in this forum will touch someone in need of a light.

Was this not on the main show? If like too hear it but I can't find it?

I understand Pete's point about if you've never been to the point of attempting suicide, then you don't really know what it's like, etc. But why make such a private thing so public? Just thinking about all the children that could have been around to see this makes me sick.
Because they are not thinking clearly. They are trying to do the only thing they think they can to make the pain stop. If they were able to think about anyone else, they wouldn't be able to follow through. Mental health needs to get talked about. Bring it out in the light of day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter