San Diego Zoo

mickeytai

DVC Member
First time to SD Zoo and very excited. We are a family of 4 (2 kids age 5 and 7) and will be visiting in June. Just wondering how long does it take generally to get the most experience at the zoo? We are planning to arrive 9a.m. first thing. Is the San Diego Natural History Museum worth a trip? Since they are both in the Balboa Park and I am wondering if it is possible for us to do both on the same day given both closed at 5p.m.

ANy advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
mickeytai

Since this is your first visit to the zoo I would just plan on spending the whole day there. My advice is do the bus tour first. It gives you a very good overall view of the park. You can then go back and hit what you want. The bus takes about 40 minutes so be prepared.

I like the NHM and they do have a Titanic exhibit. I haven't seen it yet so I do not have an opinion. But like I said, plan on pending the whole day at the zoo and if for some reason you leave early, then the museum is a good fall back.

The Zoo will close at 6, unless you are there the 16th (when we will close early for a private event).

I usually recommend 4-6 hours, depending on you and your family - how fast they walk, how long you stop and watch each animal, etc.

The Natural History Museum is very nice also.

One thing you can do, is go to the Zoo, as we open at 9 (gate opens at 8:30 for guests to come in and purchase breakfast), then you can leave maybe noonish, MAKE SURE TO STAMP YOUR HAND AT THE EXIT, go to the NHM then return to the Zoo for the rest of the day. Might be a nice way to cool off if it is a warm day and the walk is only about 5 minutes or so

We just went to the zoo for the first time a week ago. Both of my kids LOVE animals and we spent the whole day there (9 to about 4). There was so much to see and so much walking that I can't imagine trying to do anything else the same day but maybe that is just me.

I would recommend getting there a couple of minutes early to see the "rope drop"; they have a little pre-show and then they release a bunch of macaws; BEAUITUFL!

We just went to the zoo for the first time a week ago. Both of my kids LOVE animals and we spent the whole day there (9 to about 4). There was so much to see and so much walking that I can't imagine trying to do anything else the same day but maybe that is just me.

I would recommend getting there a couple of minutes early to see the "rope drop"; they have a little pre-show and then they release a bunch of macaws; BEAUITUFL!

Just have to say that the macaw flight at rope drop was for Play Days which ended on April 15th. My team is currently working on something for the summer, but depending on when the OP is going, there may not be anything happening at rope drop.

Just have to say that the macaw flight at rope drop was for Play Days which ended on April 15th. My team is currently working on something for the summer, but depending on when the OP is going, there may not be anything happening at rope drop.

Good to know; thanks! We just loved the playdates one; it was great!!

what bus tour are ya'll referring to? It will be our 1st time at the zoo and we only have a day to spend. Does this tour cost extra? I looked at the website and I see Discovery Tour for $39? I'm sure it's not the inside tour for 2 hrs. :confused3

The guides bus tour. Takes your over 90% of the zoo. If you purchase on line, it looks like for $42 you get admission, guided bus tour, express bus and sky-ride.

The guides bus tour. Takes your over 90% of the zoo. If you purchase on line, it looks like for $42 you get admission, guided bus tour, express bus and sky-ride.

Not quite 90%, it's closer to 70%. It covers most things, but you will have to see the children's zoo, pandas, gorillas, orangutans and several others on foot. It's a great way to start your day and see what the zoo has to offer, then head back to the areas that interested you on foot.

The guided bus tour, as llump mentioned, is included with most general admission tickets (as well as the express bus and skyfari). There are exceptions if you're using some types of discount tickets, but for the most part, it will be included.

...just to chime in and offer another option.

You can also visit the Wild Animal Park which operates along with the Zoo but provides a little bit of a different experience than the Zoo. It's further away from downtown but depending on where you're traveling from (if driving down from Los Angeles), it might be a little closer for you. It's in the North County area and they also have a tram rides around some of their exhibits and they also have a truck tour which basically allows you to ride in the back of a flat-bed truck and feed aniamls such as giraffes. I would recommend you look into the Wild Animal Park as well.

So the guide bus tour cost money? How much? We have the 3-day San diego pass, does it include the bus tour?

So the guide bus tour cost money? How much? We have the 3-day San diego pass, does it include the bus tour?

Before I answer, what pass do you have exactly? A CityPass? A Go Card? MOST tickets include the guided bus tour for free. You only have to pay for it if you are using comp tickets or other types of special promotional tickets.

To tack onto this thread, I have a couple of other questions, if anyone can help:
1) Is the "Backstage Pass" worth the $100/person it costs? I guess that's kind of subjective. I know you get to feed a rhino but how close do you get to other animals, like the cheetah?
2) If one parent were to do the Backstage Pass with one kid, the other would need to occupy the younger one for an hour and a half. Does the zoo have a playground or something similiar, or is there something like this nearby in Balboa Park?

Also, I found out today that it looks like there is going to be a whole set of China-themed activities (parade, acrobats, etc.) going on at the zoo this summer. I think that's sure to make it an all-day activity for our family... Others might be interested to know about this also (I hadn't heard of it before!).

To tack onto this thread, I have a couple of other questions, if anyone can help:
1) Is the "Backstage Pass" worth the $100/person it costs? I guess that's kind of subjective. I know you get to feed a rhino but how close do you get to other animals, like the cheetah?
2) If one parent were to do the Backstage Pass with one kid, the other would need to occupy the younger one for an hour and a half. Does the zoo have a playground or something similiar, or is there something like this nearby in Balboa Park?

Also, I found out today that it looks like there is going to be a whole set of China-themed activities (parade, acrobats, etc.) going on at the zoo this summer. I think that's sure to make it an all-day activity for our family... Others might be interested to know about this also (I hadn't heard of it before!).

Good questions Keyser. I used to work briefly at Backstage Pass before switching to my current department, so I can offer a fair amount of insight. Yes, it's expensive, but compared to what places like Sea World charge for close animal encounters, it's still a bargain in my opinion. BSP has a variety of animals in their collection and it's different every day. The constants are feeding and petting the rhinos and seeing the cheetah. The other animals vary, but the possibilities include howling with a wolf, feeding and petting a binturong, seeing clouded leopards, having your picture taken with a serval, feeding flamingos, having your picture taken with a zebra, meeting a porcupine, and a few other animal possibilities. You typically meet about 7 or 8 animals per show. Each show starts with a free photo typically with a parrot, donkey, or hawk, and then you have the option of purchasing the entire CD of your experience at the end of the program. You can take your own photos as well, but obviously you can't be IN your photo with an animal if you're taking it, so it's really nice to have the professional photographers there.

You get fairly close to the cheetah (within a few feet), but there are USDA guidelines (not zoo guidelines, but national ones) that require a certain amount of space between you and the cheetah and also require a trainer to be standing between you and the cheetah. You're still very close, you just can't be RIGHT next to the cheetah for obvious reasons.

Every summer the zoo has Nighttime Zoo and is open late. During the day, they have the typical shows and activities, but at night there are additional shows and bands that play throughout the evening, so yes, I'd definitely recommend spending most of the day as there will be a lot to see. As far as what to do with the other kiddo for an hour and a half, yes, there is a playground in the Children's Zoo along with a petting zoo that the younger one might enjoy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks! That was extremely helpful. We are really looking forward to our zoo visit.

I will be using TA discounted tickets and my parents and kids will use the AAA discount, so will we need to pay extra for the bus tour?

I will be using TA discounted tickets and my parents and kids will use the AAA discount, so will we need to pay extra for the bus tour?

About 95% of the tickets sold for the Zoo include unlimited rides on the guided bus tour ( 30 minutes, covers about 70% of the Zoo), the Express Bus (kind of like a shuttle that you can hop on and off of at 5 stops throughout the Zoo) and the Skyfari Ariel Tram (less than 5 minutes each way - hanging cars on a thick wire. Usually a good way to tell is if the ticket is a One Day Pass. PM me if you have a specific question about your tickets and I will try to answer it, as this is one of things I deal with when working.

About 95% of the tickets sold for the Zoo include unlimited rides on the guided bus tour ( 30 minutes, covers about 70% of the Zoo), the Express Bus (kind of like a shuttle that you can hop on and off of at 5 stops throughout the Zoo) and the Skyfari Ariel Tram (less than 5 minutes each way - hanging cars on a thick wire. Usually a good way to tell is if the ticket is a One Day Pass. PM me if you have a specific question about your tickets and I will try to answer it, as this is one of things I deal with when working.

Camonkeygirl, my cousin's significant other works at the zoo and got us free passes. I am assuming they do not include the bus tour. Is that correct? :confused3 I didn't ask my cousin as I didn't want to appear anything but appreciative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter