San Juan Cruises

Could they add a foreign port for the NY-SJ repo and end it in Miami instead of SJ?

I believe CC actually counts as a foreign port. Nassau certainly does.
they do NOT count as a "Distant Foreign Port", for a one way cruise (Beginning and ending in the USA). They are sufficient for a closed loop cruise (Embarkation and Disembarkation at the SAME Location).

Last year when DCL did the Hawaii cruises after the Alaska Season, you could not get on the Ship in Hawaii, Sail Back to Vancouver BC and then on to San Diego. (Hawaii to San Diego without the Distant Foreign Port).

For the Caribbean I believe that only the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) count as Distant Ports for the pvsa law. For the Caribbean - the Distant Foreign Ports CANNOT be in 1) North America (therefore Vancouver & Halifax don't qualify - neither does Mexico),
2) Central America (Guatemala / Belize down through Panama)
3) Bermuda
4) The Bahamas
5) Every Caribbean island EXCEPT the "ABC's"

Yes, the USA needs to ditch the PVSA law(s) but it's not going to happen any time soon, and I can't imagine the USA waiving these rules temporarily with the exception of people and supplies going to work on relief aid in the USVI / PR and other Caribbean countries (and even then I don't see it happening - boarder protection and all of the jazz).

After all of that with regards to the PVSA - how are the "Repo" cruise from Galveston to San Juan counted?!! :confused3 We stopped at Coz, Unable to stop at GC and we docked in Jamaica - and really PR is considered part of the USA? And then the following cruise went from PR to CC to Port Canaveral. Again PR is part of the USA. Them NOT being a state at this point makes those cruises OK? I know that we could not have stayed onboard and returned to PC after leaving Galveston on the first part of the cruise.
-- OK I just read some more about the PVSA and Puerto Rico: and foreign flagged ships have been granted a waiver to sail to and from PR as long as there are NO USA Flagged ships sailing this route (which won't happen)

Last edited:
Carnival has cancelled cruises out of San Juan through Oct 8. The port received extensive damage and no timeline yet for it being fixed. January is still a long way off For dcl cruisers. To think we still have two more months of hurricane season is scary. We're not even into October yet.

Walk me through this. We have travel guard gold insurance. If Disney decides a few weeks before my cruise in January, that they can't go to Puerto Rico, changes it to a Western Caribbean out of Miami, would I be able to cancel everything? Or would insurance only cover a flight change since the cruise isn't being cancelled, just changed?
Unfortunately, we can't tell you. You have to read your specific policy to see what's covered and how it's worded.

If it covers "changes" or "cancellations" makes a difference.

As every policy is different, only you can figure out what your policy says.

they do NOT count as a "Distant Foreign Port", for a one way cruise (Beginning and ending in the USA). They are sufficient for a closed loop cruise (Embarkation and Disembarkation at the SAME Location).

Last year when DCL did the Hawaii cruises after the Alaska Season, you could not get on the Ship in Hawaii, Sail Back to Vancouver BC and then on to San Diego. (Hawaii to San Diego without the Distant Foreign Port).

For the Caribbean I believe that only the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) count as Distant Ports for the pvsa law. For the Caribbean - the Distant Foreign Ports CANNOT be in 1) North America (therefore Vancouver & Halifax don't qualify - neither does Mexico),
2) Central America (Guatemala / Belize down through Panama)
3) Bermuda
4) The Bahamas
5) Every Caribbean island EXCEPT the "ABC's"

Yes, the USA needs to ditch the PVSA law(s) but it's not going to happen any time soon, and I can't imagine the USA waiving these rules temporarily with the exception of people and supplies going to work on relief aid in the USVI / PR and other Caribbean countries (and even then I don't see it happening - boarder protection and all of the jazz).

After all of that with regards to the PVSA - how are the "Repo" cruise from Galveston to San Juan counted?!! :confused3 We stopped at Coz, Unable to stop at GC and we docked in Jamaica - and really PR is considered part of the USA? And then the following cruise went from PR to CC to Port Canaveral. Again PR is part of the USA. Them NOT being a state at this point makes those cruises OK? I know that we could not have stayed onboard and returned to PC after leaving Galveston on the first part of the cruise.
-- OK I just read some more about the PVSA and Puerto Rico: and foreign flagged ships have been granted a waiver to sail to and from PR as long as there are NO USA Flagged ships sailing this route (which won't happen)
Regarding cruises into/out of San Juan - the PVSA has a waiver for those cruises. I'll look for the exact wording.

Found it:
EXCEPTIONS
Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

Also, you couldn't take the Galveston/PR b2B with PR/PC - that would violate the PVSA since (in the eyes of the law) the whole trip is from Galveston to Port Canaveral and there's no distant foreign port.

Last edited:
Could they add a foreign port for the NY-SJ repo and end it in Miami instead of SJ?
Only if the foreign port is a "distant" foreign port. Any port NOT in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2).

Not a lot of those along the line of travel from NY to PR.

It is such a sad situation. I was surprised to see that Royal is planning to sail a 3 night out of San Juan on 9/27...the original 7 night that was supposed to depart 9/23. I can't imagine wanting to bring tourists in so soon when so many locals are without the basic necessities.

It is such a sad situation. I was surprised to see that Royal is planning to sail a 3 night out of San Juan on 9/27...the original 7 night that was supposed to depart 9/23. I can't imagine wanting to bring tourists in so soon when so many locals are without the basic necessities.
And the dam about to burst...

Royal has done some strange things during these hurricanes. Hurricane Harvey was a complete debacle for them. I think Carnival has done a good job of canceling cruises far in advance with full refunds and discounts on future cruises, providing updates on their website, giving their customers the exact time for their next update, and putting out videos. You're never going to make everyone happy, but keeping people informed, being proactive and showing some compassion goes along way. Hopefully there are no more hurricanes and they can get the port up and running before January. If not I hope DCL handles this is a way that makes it easy on everyone booked.

We are on reposition cruise out of SJ on January 9 2018.

I am just wondering - if things are so bad everywhere in Southern and Eastern Caribbean - I would think Disney would not need to move the ship to SJ anymore?

So I am prepared that they would just cancel the cruise. I can't really book another cruise in the nearest future. But compared to people who leave on Caribbean Islands - I certainly am just fine.

But still - any thoughts or knowledge from the experience - how this may be handled?

I would certainly prefer itinerary change instead of cancelling. Disney still needs to make money, right?

We are on reposition cruise out of SJ on January 9 2018.

I am just wondering - if things are so bad everywhere in Southern and Eastern Caribbean - I would think Disney would not need to move the ship to SJ anymore?

So I am prepared that they would just cancel the cruise. I can't really book another cruise in the nearest future. But compared to people who leave on Caribbean Islands - I certainly am just fine.

But still - any thoughts or knowledge from the experience - how this may be handled?

I would certainly prefer itinerary change instead of cancelling. Disney still needs to make money, right?

I personally wouldn't be worried much about your cruise.

The area needs money. Tourists have money. I can imagine SJ being an incredible priority for PR, and that they'll be up and running among the first.

Or cancel it and fly to Antigua. They weren't hit and are working to help their neighbors (they have taken in the people of Barbuda and Dominica), and need the tourism dollars to do so. The tour company we went through while there, Adventure Antigua, has kept their FB followers apprised of their status and how they are helping.

I personally wouldn't be worried much about your cruise.

The area needs money. Tourists have money. I can imagine SJ being an incredible priority for PR, and that they'll be up and running among the first.

Or cancel it and fly to Antigua. They weren't hit and are working to help their neighbors (they have taken in the people of Barbuda and Dominica), and need the tourism dollars to do so. The tour company we went through while there, Adventure Antigua, has kept their FB followers apprised of their status and how they are helping.

Thank you very much for your opinion!

I have kind of the same thoughts about SJ.

My concern would be that the whole area is devastated by all those hurricanes. So even if SJ will be O'K to take ships (which I think they will be) - the other islands might not do that well in January yet. So Disney would not bring people there, and they would not move the ship there.

I am kind of not concerned too much about the itinerary, I booked this cruise as a "lazy" one as I am going to be with my 73 yo mom and my 18 yo daughter (who has some issues and not really adventurous). So reposition cruise with almost no ports was fine for us as long as it was in January when there would be college winter break (for my daughter) and the price was real good. We weren't even planning to do anything in SJ as my husband could not go with us. So our flight is supposed to leave SJ at 11 am and we have short WDW stay after that planned.

So if Disney not cancel but just change itinerary - it will totally work for us. We will just need to change the flights with Southwest if the destination port will change. And it might be not cheap if Disney waits till the last moment to change the itinerary.

But I still will be happy - as long as the cruise is not cancelled and we keep the same dates and room :fish:

I found this article. Hope the info is reliable.

https://blog.shermanstravel.com/2017/update-caribbean-islands-damaged-by-hurricane-irma/

"...Islands Not Impacted By Hurricanes Irma and Maria
  • Jamaica
  • Aruba
  • Curacao
  • St.Lucia
  • Barbados
  • The Cayman Islands
  • Grenada
  • Haiti
  • Trinidad & Tobago
Islands Minimally Impacted by Hurricanes Irma and Maria

The Bahamas: Hotels, airports, and marinas are open on Nassau and Grand Bahama as well as most out islands. Most of the damage from Hurricane Irma happened on the small southern out islands. As of Friday, Sept. 22, Hurricane Maria is expected to pass northeast of the Bahamas through Sunday.

Antigua: The island only experienced some minor wind damage in Hurricane Irma. Although the entire population of Barbuda has been evacuated to Antigua, all hotels and airports are open.

The Dominican Republic: The island did experience some structural damage, flooding, and fallen trees in Hurricane Maria. The country’s major tourist destinations, including Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, and Samana are operating normally..."

Actually I might be just worried for nothing.

It seems like the cruise Wonder starts on January 14th - the day ship arrives to SJ (last day of our cruise) is 7-day Southern Caribbean with ports which are in the list from the article I mentioned above. So this cruise should not change the itinerary if SJ will be taking ships by then.

The next one is on January 21 and it does include St John and St Kitts, so that might be changed. But the other ports look fine too.

And the last one on January 28th looks the same as the one on January 14th, so all the ports seem to be O'K.

And then on February 4th Wonder gets repositioned again from SJ to Port Canaveral - to do Western Caribbean cruises.

So whoever is on that cruise from Galveston to SJ on January 9th 2018 - it looks like we should be O'K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter