Saturday, In the Park - I Think it was the Fourth of July… Wrapping it Up 6/26

Yep.

I’m back. To writing trip reports (TRs) again.

If you read my last one, you may remember that I decided to take a break from the TR circuit in favor of trying my hand at blogging about a wider variety of topics.

If you followed me to said blog… you know by now that I’ve pretty much abandoned that project. Why? Don’t know. It just felt stilted; the words weren’t flowing freely like they had here on the DIS. Is it possible my creative writing only presents when talking about Disney World trips??? Maybe. Who knows – maybe one day I’ll put all these reports together and it’ll make a great book. Goodness knows I’ve read worse. (NO Don Quixote)

At any rate, I’m here again, ready to tell some tales. And I’ve actually got some good stuff with which to work. New stuff, even. If you’ve read a few of my previous reports, I think you’ll be surprised by quite a bit of what comes to pass in this one. If you’re a new arrival, I hope you’ll be as entertained as I am when venturing into new trip reporters’ offerings. To all, welcome and don’t be shy – I love feedback! :flower3:

I suppose I should start with some disclaimers.

1. I totally and completely ripped off the title. It happens to be from a song I’ve adored forever (thanks Chicago!). Here’s hoping I don’t get hit with any copyright infringements. You won’t tell, will you?

2. The lyrics/title don’t make a lot of sense. Because July 4th is on a Sunday, not a Saturday this year. I could’ve ripped off “Sunday in the Park (with George)” instead, but I don’t know George and I don’t plan on setting foot in a park July 4th.

3. It’s gonna be a while before this thing gets started for real. If you haven’t noticed, July 4th is still two-ish Fuzzy months away. Good thing I’ve got a little weekend trip to WDW to throw in until then. ;)

Coming soon: Introductions and Planning & Testing

Looking forward to more!

Thanks for the PM! Cadet Biscuit reporting for duty Cap'n!

Can't wait to get started.

AHHHHHHHHH! I knew you couldn't stay away.;)
Right?! :rotfl:
Looking forward to more!
Thanks for coming back! :goodvibes

Ah, she's back. :banana: Missed ya around here. :hug:
Thanks CE - it was a much-needed break, but I'm glad to be back at it, too! :hug:

Thanks for the PM! Cadet Biscuit reporting for duty Cap'n!

Can't wait to get started.
Woo hoo! Thanks for coming along GB... now where do I start?!

:hippie: Ooh...bet this is gonna be good!! popcorn::popcorn::
::yes:: Here's hoping!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Whadya, mean LL? You KNOW this is going to be good!:lmao:
If you all do your part, it'll be freaking GREAT! :rotfl2:

Funny thing - I took a break from reading TR's. :rotfl2: Glad you are back at it. You ARE the master ya' know! :worship::darth: Thanks for sending me the directions. :rolleyes1

Hi PrincessV!! :cheer2:I am new to your TRs but I have been seeing you around here for years and I am so IN!

Funny thing - I took a break from reading TR's. :rotfl2:
:rotfl: I kind of did for a while, too - I think I needed a break from the whole genre. Thanks for coming back! :hug:

Hi PrincessV!! :cheer2:I am new to your TRs but I have been seeing you around here for years and I am so IN!
Hi there! :wave: Isn't it weird - I've seen you on the DIS for years, too, but it's like strangers on the street until a TR comes along, lol! Thanks for joining in! :flower3:

You're back! :banana:
I am - thanks for reading again! :goodvibes

Uh... DUH!! Of COURSE I'm in!! And looking forward to the ever-insightful Princess V reports!!

:dance3:

And, just for the record, I knew immediately where your title came from. LOVE that song!:love:

But I wasn't going to sub to anymore TR's, I'm trying to stop reading them :mad: And then you do this :headache: so I'm here popcorn:: :rotfl:

I like to start my reports by introducing the main characters. And by “characters,” I don’t mean life-sized rodents in tuxedos. At least not usually. :rolleyes:

3799944276_33514a0f86.jpg

V – hi, that’s me. :wave: I first visited WDW in the late 70’s while spending the summer with my dad, who lived in Florida. We returned for another visit sometime in the 80’s and that was it… until I moved to Florida for college. I spent a good amount of time with The Mouse then, and experienced Epcot for the first time. To say I was smitten would be a gross understatement; I fell head over heels in love with the place! I briefly moved back to NY before making FL my permanent home some 17 years ago. And that was that – WDW quickly became my primary vacation spot.

In the early days, when money was tight, my WDW “vacations” consisted of many, many day trips. Yes, I’m lucky enough to live within two hours of The Happiest Place on Earth. As jobs became careers and I was able to expand those day trips into, first, long weekends, and, later, into 5 – 6 night trips, I began to experience WDW as so many others do… as a true resort vacation.

But I’ll caution this: I’m still a FL resident. Which means that we take the good with the bad when it comes to the theme parks in our state. There are a lot of folks who despise Disney and how it almost single-handedly morphed a sleepy, rural Central Florida based on agriculture into tourism central. I get it. I absolutely sympathize with those folks. For generations, their families worked the land to produce the best citrus on the planet; it’s had to be incredibly frustrating to watch that land be eaten up by hotels, souvenir shops, restaurants, and – yes – theme parks.

At the same time, WDW’s presence, along with that of Sea World, Universal, Gatorland, Dinosaur World and the like, has provided the state with countless jobs, an incredible influx of money, and an economic base that’s been able to weather most any type of storm. (NO Bernie Madoff, Goldman Sachs, Hurricane Charley. Or not.)

So I admit, my view of WDW isn’t seen through rose-colored glasses. I’ve derided the Mickey Regime for more than a few moronic decisions. And I’ve cheered the Suits Behind the Cheese for making good on ol’ Walt’s vision. As you read along, you’ll no doubt hear me express some angst, even as I applaud the many terrific experiences WDW brings my way. Like I said – we take the good with the bad down here. But we keep going back. :goodvibes

4529915148_dbcb7f386c.jpg

Leo – my soon-to-be eight year-old son. Poor Leo never had a choice; he was born into the Disney life. When he came along, I’d only just begun to get my toes wet in the Disney resort experience. His dad and I had taken a few long weekends at WDW before he was born, and that continued with Leo for the first few years of his life. Thus far, all but a couple of his birthdays have been spent at WDW. He’s done the day trips, the long weekends, and, in more recent years, the extended, week or more long vacations. Leo can map most of The World without assistance. Trust me – when he says “turn right here to get to the nearest ladies’ room,” I listen.

Are you wondering if so much Disney time may have gone to his head? I’ve wondered the same. And I think I can honestly answer “no.” I haven’t the faintest idea what I’ve done to encourage it, but he does seem appropriately thankful for our times there. Which isn’t to say he’s not a typical young boy; not a chance. We’ve had our fair share of Disney meltdowns: nasty faces over riding what someone else wants to ride, a sullen mood thanks to not getting that $85 Transformer from the Japan pavilion, tears, tears and more tears over dining choices (actually, I’m with him on that one). Yep, we’ve had all that and more. Remember taking the good with the bad? Well, that goes for bringing your child to Disney world, too. Trust V.

I’m sure you’ll learn lots more about Leo and me than you would ever care to as this story progresses, but I think that’s enough to start our journey. There will be a host of additional characters involved in this saga, and I’ll be sure to introduce them as they arrive.

Next: Venturing into the Dark Side.

I'd say sometime after "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth" and sometime before "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantanganse alejado de la puertas." You're welcome.
Oh yes, most helpful. :rotfl: Thanks GB!

I'm here:cool1: Late, as usual..but here none the less:thumbsup2
Um, you've seen how long I take to get these things done.... you're nowhere near late! :hug:

And, just for the record, I knew immediately where your title came from. LOVE that song!:love:
Isn't it great?! Makes me want to throw a frisbee in the park. :goodvibes Thanks for being here Susie!

But I wasn't going to sub to anymore TR's, I'm trying to stop reading them :mad: And then you do this :headache: so I'm here popcorn:: :rotfl:
Aw, Jo! :hug: Thanks for making an exception for me! :goodvibes

Um... I didn't get the memo that you started another TR... and LOOK! I'm on page 2. :sad1: At least I get to see you in a couple weeks. :hug:

...and I know what the 'Dark Side' is. ;) Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter