• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Say Good Bye to Maelstrom....A 'Frozen' Ride is Definite

It's not baffling at all...

It's reducing operational costs whenever they can... And adding a straight giftshop centered area in another.

Less cost...more profit.

Which I found as definition #31 for "Magic" in the Merriam Webster

It's not baffling at all...

It's reducing operational costs whenever they can... And adding a straight giftshop centered area in another.

Less cost...more profit.

Which I found as definition #31 for "Magic" in the Merriam Webster

Forgive me... I need to lay off the "Pixie Dust" and get my expectations more in line with reality...

Maybe the majority of the renovation $$$ will be spent equipping the boats w/ touch-screen monitors taking you directly to DisneyStore.com, with full Magic Band / I-Pay functionality. You'll be so busy shopping while on the boat, that you won't even notice that Olaf is really just the old Maelstrom Polar Bear in a cheap Halloween costume. This would be the ultimate definition of "Magic", and would eliminate the need for those costly giftshop attendants...

pixiedust:

Forgive me... I need to lay off the "Pixie Dust" and get my expectations more in line with reality...

Maybe the majority of the renovation $$$ will be spent equipping the boats w/ touch-screen monitors taking you directly to DisneyStore.com, with full Magic Band / I-Pay functionality. You'll be so busy shopping while on the boat, that you won't even notice that Olaf is really just the old Maelstrom Polar Bear in a cheap Halloween costume. This would be the ultimate definition of "Magic", and would eliminate the need for those costly giftshop attendants...

pixiedust:

You're coming along, my boy...that's "magic" at work...

You know - I'm sorry...I probably come off as the biggest frozen and avatar hater on earth - I'm not at all.
I just think there are thinly veiled ulterior motives that have a "stink" to it behind the moves.

At least at fantasyland they shoved more princesses on us and only lied upfront about the scale, budget, and innovation - they get a pass on that.

And they mothballed PI to save minor operational costs, and then admitted that downtown is 100% dependent on stupidity spending by canning Hyperion wharf after the real estate crash...
Now they're building a straight collection of mall shops - but I'm ok with it because they haven't lied and called it "breathtaking" or "innovative"

And they canned flamingo crossing for awhile for the same reason... And that's just 192/I drive action over on the "far side" of the property. But at least they haven't hoopla ed that yet.

Ahhhh...I'm getting SOFFFTTT in my old age.

RIP Maelstrom. Won't miss outdated movie though...

But that was part of the charm of the attraction. Could you avoid the baracade of Norweigan CMs and exit before it started? Could dad refuse the cute Norweigan girl asking him to stay and watch a movie about her homeland?

I do know my two boys are quite upset about the "troll ride" going away. And it really didn't help when I told them what was replacing it. DS10, asked, isn't there enough princess stuff? He'll probably change his tune about the princesses in a couple more years. :love:

The thing about Mexico for me, is it's a beautiful pavilion inside. Besides being the coolest place in Epcot, it's just charming to me. The birds don't bother me, because like previously stated, they were designed to promote Mexico.

What bothers me about Frozen is that Norway was inspiration, but it wasn't set in Norway. The movie wasn't intending to get ppl interested in Scandinavia, or to teach about the culture. So we're putting a fake land into a real country. I dunno. Maybe cause I'm 1/4 Norwegian, I take a little more pride in the pavilion than I should. It'll be the only one with a fake land in it. The Fairy tale part doesn't bother me.

But *sigh* Epcot. FW is starting to remind me of abandoned World's Fair sites.

The thing about Mexico for me, is it's a beautiful pavilion inside. Besides being the coolest place in Epcot, it's just charming to me. The birds don't bother me, because like previously stated, they were designed to promote Mexico.

What bothers me about Frozen is that Norway was inspiration, but it wasn't set in Norway. The movie wasn't intending to get ppl interested in Scandinavia, or to teach about the culture. So we're putting a fake land into a real country. I dunno. Maybe cause I'm 1/4 Norwegian, I take a little more pride in the pavilion than I should. It'll be the only one with a fake land in it. The Fairy tale part doesn't bother me.

Ding Ding Ding... You can collect your prize at the door.

:worship:

I'm 1/4 Norwegian too. I really enjoy that part of my family and it just burns me up to see Disney disrespecting that country so much. :furious:

I remember going to EPCOT shortly after it opened. I was with a friend and we were around 8 at the time. We have a great picture of us beneath the ball looking mightily disgruntled. We hated it. HATED. This was not the Disney were looking for! God, it was dull. I'm sure some have fond memories and as I got older, I actually came to really love some of the rides (World of Motion and my beloved Horizons). But as a young child? It sucked. Big time.

Anyway, DD is super-excited about the Frozen ride. That's really all I care about at this point. We'll be on the Magic next year to see some of the real Norway. Not looking for that at a theme park. Just looking for fun and entertainment. We liked Maelstrom, but it was hardly a must-do for us. This? OMG, it is going to be insane. If you could've seen DD's face when I told her there was going to be a Frozen ride...well, that's what it's all about, as they say.

I remember going to EPCOT shortly after it opened. I was with a friend and we were around 8 at the time. We have a great picture of us beneath the ball looking mightily disgruntled. We hated it. HATED. This was not the Disney were looking for! God, it was dull. I'm sure some have fond memories and as I got older, I actually came to really love some of the rides (World of Motion and my beloved Horizons). But as a young child? It sucked. Big time.

Let me give you the flip-side to that. So as adults who are bombarded with princesses, characters and bibidty bopidty boutiques at every other turn outside of EPCOT World Showcase, where will we go to escape the Disney-derived Fantasy that is found everywhere else? Currently, World Showcase is that escape, but it looks like Disney is going to slowly erode that over time.

Anyway, DD is super-excited about the Frozen ride. That's really all I care about at this point. We'll be on the Magic next year to see some of the real Norway. Not looking for that at a theme park. Just looking for fun and entertainment. We liked Maelstrom, but it was hardly a must-do for us. This? OMG, it is going to be insane. If you could've seen DD's face when I told her there was going to be a Frozen ride...well, that's what it's all about, as they say.

No one is denying the fact that your daughter and countless others like her will enjoy the new Frozen ride. I think even many of us who loved Maelstrom will admit that it was dated and could have used a "refresh" of sorts. That's not the crux of the argument. The problem that we all have is that princess rides have zero place in World Showcase, or anywhere in EPCOT for that matter. If placed in the appropriate park (MK NFL would have been ideal, HS would have been the second best option), no problem.

And FWIW, I hope your daughter won't be too disappointed to learn that it's most likely (97% certainty) going to be the exact same boat ride with a Frozen overlay. If Maelstrom didn't do much for you guys in simple terms of ride quality/excitement, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any new, exciting ride technology that's really going to knock your socks off.

And FWIW, I hope your daughter won't be too disappointed to learn that it's most likely (97% certainty) going to be the exact same boat ride with a Frozen overlay. If Maelstrom didn't do much for you guys in simple terms of ride quality/excitement, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any new, exciting ride technology that's really going to knock your socks off.

I also hope she's still into Frozen by the time they get this done.

My likes and passions changed so much, and so quickly when I was a kid.

And sabrecmc, you just HAD to mention Horizons, didn't you? Now I'm all sad. and on a Friday too. :)

I also hope she's still into Frozen by the time they get this done.

My likes and passions changed so much, and so quickly when I was a kid.

And sabrecmc, you just HAD to mention Horizons, didn't you? Now I'm all sad. and on a Friday too. :)

Aw, sorry about the Horizons shout-out. *sob* I still miss that one, though even I had to admit it had gotten way outdated. Loved it though.

One thing about most of Disney's animated stuff is that it is fairly timeless. I mean, I still enjoy the Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo rides, even as an adult. I'm sure her passion for Frozen will temper over time (one would hope...), but I think most of us are here on this forum b/c we still love so much about Disney from our childhoods. I don't think the ride track was the issue. The dip was nice, not too steep for her. One time on Splash Mountain and she refuses to do it again, lol. Just the ride itself was not that exciting. I mean, obviously, for us. That's totally a personal thing. I'm sure some loved it as much as I loved my stupid Horizons.

As for adult stuff being taken over, I can appreciate that concern. I still miss Pleasure Island and the Adventurer's Club, but ultimately, as a parent, it is about DD for me, so as long as they don't take away my Grey Goose slushie from the French pavilion, I'll make it work. Want to take out that movie and add in a Remy ride like Disneyland Paris? Fine by me. Don't mean to suggest that people can't be saddened by the changes though. I just assume nothing but the castle is permanent. And even then, look at what they did to it for the 25th birthday!!! My mind is still scarred.

Some kids actually do enjoy Epcot. DS did. He adored Spaceship Earth and the original Journey Into Imagination and Food Rocks in particular. He didn't have much use for World Showcase even though we did always have to ride Maelstrom and El Rio del Tiempo. I'm grateful that he found it all so fun at every age.

As for a Frozen ride, I think that that is way overdue. I just wish it was going in somewhere else. (Wonders of Life?)

By the way I loved Horizons too. When Disney let that ride get so shabby and then tore it down I was pretty bummed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter