Scooter Parking in a BCV Studio

If you park it by the foot of the murphy bed, as in the above photo, is there a plug there to charge it overnight? I often travel solo, and tend to just park it by the kitchenette, and plug it in by where the coffee pot gets plugged in. But I've recently decided (along with DH's reminders) that that area makes it virtually impossible for me to get out if there's a fire in the middle of the night. So I've vowed to find a safer place to park the ECV.
I believe there is, but it may be behind the TV cabinet, but still reachable. We usually park in the kitchenette area because the scooters wold have to go with us anyway, no way would we be able to walk those distances with a fire or even just fire alarm not to mention all the standing involved, so really parking it in that area is not bad for us.

If you park it by the foot of the murphy bed, as in the above photo, is there a plug there to charge it overnight? I often travel solo, and tend to just park it by the kitchenette, and plug it in by where the coffee pot gets plugged in. But I've recently decided (along with DH's reminders) that that area makes it virtually impossible for me to get out if there's a fire in the middle of the night. So I've vowed to find a safer place to park the ECV.

OK in most Deluxe & Moderate level Guest rooms at Disney, you will find easy to access outlets in one of these places:
- under the TV, on the dresser
- next to the adjoining-room door
- on the nightstands
- on the desk (if so equipped)

Additionally, in rooms (like the DVC studios at Poly) where you have a second “bathroom”, you can plug in overnight in that room, again if so equipped. On our last Poly visit, we backed my chair into that room every night and charged it in there. (Right now, I can still use a rollator I bring for in-room movement, since it is usually just a few steps)

Most often, at Deluxe hotels, we will parallel park my chair next to the adjoining-room door for charging overnight. I will use the outlet next to the adjoining door to charge; if that happens to not exist, I will use the outlet on the dresser, under the TV, or in the “coffee area”, which is typically on top of the beverage cooler. Since I have a second battery + charger setup, I charge that on a separate outlet across the room, to try and make sure I don’t overload a circuit.

At Moderate hotels, we will typically push the chairs under the table, and smoosh all that in the corner next to the a/c unit, and that gives me plenty of room to back my chair (or even one of my Travelscoots) in next to the dresser for overnight charging. I will use the outlet under the TV, on top of the dresser in that case.

IF we had a second device in any of those scenarios, we would most likely call Housekeeping to remove as much “loose” furniture as possible from the room. Given that all of my devices can be charged while collapsed, we could theoretically collapse a device and charge it under the desk or table if needed.

Furniture can be moved or even removed if needed. Housekeeping can assist.

It is important to keep your equipment in your room and not in the hallway. There was a recent thread by a regular poster who experienced a delay evacuating an alarm in the night because of an ECV parked in the hallway created a logjam as people tried to get through.
Yes, I saw that thread a while ago. I totally understand.

Be sure you don't use a switch controlled outlet to "charge" your scooter. Turn off the lights before you sleep and your scooter stops charging
Good advice! I'm sure that would be quite the surprise to have a low/dead battery in the morning.

Good advice! I'm sure that would be quite the surprise to have a low/dead battery in the morning.

Yes - it’s so important to charge your battery(s) overnight so that you don’t have to worry the next day. It’s really frustrating if you have to constantly search out outlets to plug in to, and then hope the battery charges enough while you are able to charge.

It’s just not a great vacation memory to take home: “Oh remember how we searched for outlets every day on that trip?”

Having said all that, if either of your ECVs seem like they just won’t hold a charge properly, don’t hesitate to call your rental vendor, and ask for a new scooter to be brought out. A full charge overnight should get you through a full day at Disney.

Just to add to what @mamabunny said... If you are traveling during one of those rare times when it actually gets really cold in FL, the battery on your ECV will drain faster.

So it's always a good idea to practice good battery habits:
1 - Always charge overnight in a non-switch controlled outlet.
2 - Turn off ECV (and remove key) when using Disney transportation
3 - Watching a show or parade? Turn it it off.
4 - Anytime you are stopped in a queue... Turn it off.
5 - Basically, if you are going to be in the same spot for more than 30 seconds, turn it off.
6 - Having a sit-down meal and you are going to sit at the table in a chair rather than the ECV? Ask a Cast Member if there is somewhere you might be able to top off the battery.

Last edited:
Yes - it’s so important to charge your battery(s) overnight so that you don’t have to worry the next day. It’s really frustrating if you have to constantly search out outlets to plug in to, and then hope the battery charges enough while you are able to charge.
Yes, it's really frustrating. It can really distract from your enjoyment of the entire day. I know because one night I was so tired, I just plain forgot to charge my scooter (this was in my early days of ECVing) Fortunately, my scooter stayed charged until lunchtime the next day. Although it was still fine, I wasn't-I was so afraid that my scooter would suddenly die on me, I went back to the resort at lunchtime and sat in my room with my scooter charging all afternoon. Lesson learned-I never forgot to charge my scooter overnight after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter