Sea Sickness Threat

I'm the same. I don't use gravol, it doesn't work well enough. I use Dramamine and seabands for flying and for cruising I use bonine, Dramamine and sea bands and am still sick. I'm going to try the patch next time I cruise.

Op: I definitely recommend getting seabands, they are inexpensive and do help. Also get bonine as recommended by others.

Sometimes with Bonine, I do feel a bit cloudy, but I guess that's better than the alternative.

I give my daughter a half the night before because we've found a couple of years ago, that she feels a ill during the first dinner. But after that she's fine. I always keep the second half in case she needs it, but she hasn't needed a second dose so far. I was going to try to just take a few in the beginning and see if I would be like her, but I'm just too nervous that I'll feel bad and ruin my experience. I don't take it for anything else and I love roller coasters, so I don't really get motion sickness anywhere else.

Do you know what the brand of motion sickness they recommend in Canada if we don't have Bonine?

The pharmacist said that there really isn't an alternative. The ingredient in Bonine is meclizine hydrochloride which is apparently no longer available in Canada. The only suggestion he gave me was Gravol...anything stronger would need to go through a physician.

DH & I both use the prescription Scopolomine patch (the same patch the anesthesiologist put on DH prior to his last surgery after DH reported that he is sometimes nauseous coming out of anesthesia). Works like a charm for us whether on a roller coaster or a cruise. The only side effect we notice is (very) dry mouth (primarily at night), so I take Biotene mouth spray along to help with that. We apply the patch when we arrive at the cruise terminal and by the time the ship sails, we're good to go. The medicine enters your system reasonably quickly. You do need to be very mindful to wash your hand thoroughly after applying the patch and NOT to touch your eyes before doing so s the medicine can cause vision issues if it gets in your eyes.

The pharmacist said that there really isn't an alternative. The ingredient in Bonine is meclizine hydrochloride which is apparently no longer available in Canada. The only suggestion he gave me was Gravol...anything stronger would need to go through a physician.

Wow. That’s shocking that you can’t get Bonine in Canada but you can get Domperidone over the counter , which my son described as “Zofran on steroids.”

I find it helpful to remember that I’m on a ship at sea - which sounds stupid, but hear me out. The Disney ships are so beautiful, it’s easy to think you are in a posh hotel on land. Then when you see the curtains swinging in the theater or the ice cubes in your water glass sloshing around, it plays with your head. But don’t give into that head game: remember that you are on a constantly moving ocean, in a ship which moves, so everything in it must move, including you.

The first night and the last night they’re really moving, because they need to get where they’re going. But after that I’ve always found us to have be in smooth waters.

But I’m not stupid - I do take a Bonine every night. The only time I got a little woozy on the wbpc last year was on the final night, when we not only moved from side to side, we were moving front-to-back. I quickly put aside some silly thoughts about going up on deck for ice cream and decided I was better off staying out in my bed

Wow. That’s shocking that you can’t get Bonine in Canada but you can get Domperidone over the counter , which my son described as “Zofran on steroids.”

I find it helpful to remember that I’m on a ship at sea - which sounds stupid, but hear me out. The Disney ships are so beautiful, it’s easy to think you are in a posh hotel on land. Then when you see the curtains swinging in the theater or the ice cubes in your water glass sloshing around, it plays with your head. But don’t give into that head game: remember that you are on a constantly moving ocean, in a ship which moves, so everything in it must move, including you.

The first night and the last night they’re really moving, because they need to get where they’re going. But after that I’ve always found us to have be in smooth waters.

But I’m not stupid - I do take a Bonine every night. The only time I got a little woozy on the wbpc last year was on the final night, when we not only moved from side to side, we were moving front-to-back. I quickly put aside some silly thoughts about going up on deck for ice cream and decided I was better off staying out in my bed

Definitely agree about the Bonine.

As many people suggest moving with the sway helps in keeping your balance when the water is rough. It definitely helps me, so I don't push my husband as we walk together. The strange thing with me is that I don't feel ill in that case. I don't feel well when I'm sitting at the MDR for dinner or I'm sitting watching a show. The sight of performers and stage curtains swaying back and forth doesn't bother me at all. Walking is not pleasant, but it's not what makes me feel ill.

If there is a lot of movement as the time we went during a hurricane, I would go to bed as well. And I would keep some sickness bag (that was available in almost all restrooms on the ship) in my pocket at all times.

Whatever medicine you take for motion sickness, I would try it out ahead of time for any reaction. My daughter got car sick when younger and took Bonine and it completely knocked her out to the point where she was a walking zombie. They do have free patches that you put behind your ear down by the sick bay on the cruise. They should be out for anyone to take. I felt a bit queasy my first cruise and could not look out at the ocean while we were moving. It got easier with the second cruise. I read an article by a cruise ship worker who told of their experience. They started working on the cruise ship and got very sea sick. They were miserable but they just had to keep working. They said the best cure for sea sickness is to pretend like you don't have it. Easier said then done but I think it is important to not focus on it. Try to distract yourself. Good luck.

Whatever medicine you take for motion sickness, I would try it out ahead of time for any reaction. My daughter got car sick when younger and took Bonine and it completely knocked her out to the point where she was a walking zombie. They do have free patches that you put behind your ear down by the sick bay on the cruise. They should be out for anyone to take. I felt a bit queasy my first cruise and could not look out at the ocean while we were moving. It got easier with the second cruise. I read an article by a cruise ship worker who told of their experience. They started working on the cruise ship and got very sea sick. They were miserable but they just had to keep working. They said the best cure for sea sickness is to pretend like you don't have it. Easier said then done but I think it is important to not focus on it. Try to distract yourself. Good luck.

Trying the medication is great advice!

When we started cruising, I decided to only take half per day because since I don't take a lot of medication, everything seems to be strong for me. If I take an Advil for a headache, I'm out.

After a few cruise, I began taking the full pill and although, to this day, I still feel a little cloudy/lightheaded, I can still enjoy my day. Perhaps after a few more cruises, I won't even feel sleepy.

With regards to the advice of trying not to let it get to you, I've tried that. And I also agree it's not easy. Although, what really helps me if I feel a little bad is to go on deck or verandah for fresh air. Otherwise, if it's late, I just go to bed.

Add me to the list of people that swears by Bonine (meclizine)! I get motion sick riding in vehicles, watching poorly done videos on YouTube, at the movies -- you name it. I start taking it the night before the cruise and continue taking it regularly for the duration of the trip. While I'm always aware of the motion of the cruise ship I have never gotten sick. *knocks on wood* And we've cruised through some pretty inhospitable weather with lots of people getting sick, including crew, who normally don't suffer from motion sickness.

I agree with the person who suggested trying it out ahead of time for a reaction. Especially with a child.

For the Canadians -- I make sure I schedule a stop at Walgreens (or any other store like that) before we get to the port. It was a sad day when Bonine went off the market in Canada.

Actually, I just checked Amazon.ca and you can buy it there. I have other OTCs that I need that aren't available here and that's how I get them so thought I would check and sure enough Bonine is available.

Ok, I’m nervous about sea sickness and this post has me convinced about trying Bonine. But, I have a VERY important question! I was reading the label and see that it mentions avoiding alcoholic beverages:guilty::sad2::furious:
Say it isn’t so?!?! Do all of you who take Bonine on the cruise not drink? I don’t plan on being hammered but was looking forward to some cocktails. However I’m usually prettt big on following rules/labels so I feel conflicted! Take Bonine & don’t drink? Skip the Bonine and pray I’m not sick and have a few cocktails? Or break the rules and do both?

Ok, I’m nervous about sea sickness and this post has me convinced about trying Bonine. But, I have a VERY important question! I was reading the label and see that it mentions avoiding alcoholic beverages:guilty::sad2::furious:
Say it isn’t so?!?! Do all of you who take Bonine on the cruise not drink? I don’t plan on being hammered but was looking forward to some cocktails. However I’m usually prettt big on following rules/labels so I feel conflicted! Take Bonine & don’t drink? Skip the Bonine and pray I’m not sick and have a few cocktails? Or break the rules and do both?

I'm not a big drinker but in the past have had one or two drinks a day and not had a problem while taking Bonine.

This one is easy for me since I don't drink.

But just because you are concerned about sea sickness, it doesn't mean you will feel ill. I have relative who have motion sickness that feel nothing during a cruise. And with me, I don't really have motion sickness in other places except for cruises.:confused3

Nope, not a drinker here either... :confused3

I'm not a big drinker but I tend to have 2-3 drinks per day while on a cruise. I've taken Bonine and not noticed any issues. But I only take the Bonine at night before going to bed, and the issue with mixing Bonine with alcohol is it intensifies the sedative effect. So if you plan on taking Bonine during the day and having a couple drinks, you may want to plan on naptime.

Seasickness is a “sometimes you do/sometimes you don’t” thing. As a family we’ve been fortunate and have been queasy-free. That said, I sail (racing) and there was a time (once) when I really felt it. I have a friend who was a career navy officer and he got sick once in calm seas. It just happens.
On our first cruise we came around the point in Cabo and seas got crazy. The ship was seeing 70kts and was rolling pretty severely. They closed off the outside decks and the word was there were a lot of ppl feeling it. We were lucky and felt nothing. But that confirmed our choice to bring Zofran just in case and we have on every cruise - just in case.

On our first cruise I didn't feel nausea, but would get vertigo and dizziness only at night while trying to fall asleep. I didn't immediately associate this with motion sickness since that's not my usual symptom. I never took anything, and think I would have gotten much better rest if I had a dramamine each night - so that is my plan for the next time - dramamine at night before bed.

I know some people have commented that it doesn’t matter where on the ship you are if you suffer from sea sickness, which I do know people who suffer so badly they can’t cruise at all. Yes, there are times when you may feel motion on all decks (especially in the Mediterranean) but overall, I do think stateroom location makes a difference.

Nobody in my family suffers from sea sickness, however we were on a Panama Canal Cruise on the Magic when we ran into the outer bands of a hurricane. We had 30 foot waves, we were also staying on deck 1 midship which was a life saver! We weren’t allowed on deck, so we spent part of our day on deck 4 going in the shops and Walt Disney theatre. The Forward of the ship definitely had far more motion and we actually started feeling unwell. We returned to our room on deck 1 midship where we basically couldn’t feel any motion.

We typically stay on deck 2 which is about the same. We have also stayed on higher decks on the fantasy and magic where we definitely felt more motion. But in reality, everyone is going to handle it differently and it really depends how sensitive you are to motion.

Don’t forget about “land sickness” when you get home - I do the hula standing at the sink or while I’m shopping for at least two days after a cruise. I just become so used to the sway that I do it automatically, and it plays with my head when I’m back on land.

I'm going to address your question with this answer:

Whatever medicine you take for motion sickness, I would try it out ahead of time for any reaction.

As I understand it, the warning on the label is because some people have a reaction when they take this medicine and also drink. (Remember, when constructing those warning labels they report any reactions that people tell them they experienced, perhaps they drank a TON of alcohol with the meds.)

So therefore, to keep you safe, and out of concern for your personal safety, :rolleyes1 I assign you the task of getting some Bonine ahead of time. Take it for a day or so, and then go have a few drinks, in the name of SCIENCE, to make sure it doesn't cause an issue for you personally. It's just a sacrifice you have to make, for safety. LOL.

Personally, Bonine and moderate levels of alcohol have always worked fine for me.

P.S. As a lifetime motion sickness sufferer, I have personally found large cruise ships to be much less of an issue than cars, boats, amusement rides, planes, etc, unless they get to close to a big storm.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter