Seafood restaurants

I absolutely love King's Fish House, but they are a chain. Not a huge one, I think we have 2 locations within an hour radius of us, maybe 10 total. Their New Orleans shrimp are to die for and they always have about 10 different oyster varieties and tons of fresh catch options.

I'm sure there are a ton of independent seafood places, especially along the coast, I've just never been to any to give an opinion.

While Roy's is a chain, there is one in Anaheim. We haven't been to that location, but have been to many other Roy's and always enjoy it. They do have sushi, but lots of other fresh fish, as well.

While Roy's is a chain, there is one in Anaheim. We haven't been to that location, but have been to many other Roy's and always enjoy it. They do have sushi, but lots of other fresh fish, as well.

I love Roys. We ate at the one on Oahu by Aulani a few times. I think I had the best sushi of my life there. I’ll check it out. Never thought to see if there was one there.

I love Roys. We ate at the one on Oahu by Aulani a few times. I think I had the best sushi of my life there. I’ll check it out. Never thought to see if there was one there.

We always mean to go, and then don't want to leave the Disney bubble! We have been to the Roy's in Orlando, Sarasota, Chicago, Phoenix, Ko Olina, and the original in Hawaii Kai. (Yeah, we really like Roy's.) They're all great, but Orlando (when we lived there) always had the best service.

Oh yeah. We ate in Hawaii Kai too. I forgot about that one. W must have eaten once in ko’olina and once in hawai’i kai I’m pretty sure there was also one on Beachealk in Waikiki too.

THe first time I went to Roy’s it was a pretty late reservation in the middle of the week. There were 8 of us and we were seated at a table overlooking the kitchen. The chef kept sending out things we didn’t order, “to try”, and it was so amazing to have that experience just by random.

Fresh, local fish is rare even in So Cal. It may be on the Pacific Rim, but the OC is still on large urban/suburban sprawl with 3.5 million full-time residents, and you will find their seafood options not much different that any other large metropolitan area. The most popular places aren't serving local fish, they serve cod from the Atlantic, salmon from Alaska, mahi-mahi from Mexico, and tons of shellfish and raw bar options from whatever. Fish arrives at commercial distributors already frozen on commercial fishing boats (though, legally, this is still "fresh fish"), and there aren't enough local-caught fish markets/distributors to supply large demand. There are consumer-focused fresh fish markets so the locals can buy can cook their own, but hard to find prepared.

Around DL, Roy's would be my suggestion. But there is Bear Flag Fish Co. which has a few places around Newport Beach, which is part fish market, part restaurant.

Last edited:
That's so interesting. I never would have guessed. In Massachusetts most of our fish comes in through boston, fished somewhere in the Atlantic, and brought in fresh daily. When i lived in Honolulu, all the fish came in directly through there. I never would have expected that so cal didn't have a thriving fish business of pacific fish caught there and "fresh."

Thanks to all who took the time to offer suggestions. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter