SeaWorld stock down by 24% - what does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine1

Viva Marie!
i just read this - not sure if it true but link is below.

Is a company in trouble if stock is down by almost a quarter over the past year?

Or is this nothing to worry about.

I am not sure what these figures mean!

SeaWorld was always in the top three theme parks - disney, universal then seaworld that people would visit.

(although i am not sure of their attendence figures lately)

https://www.thedodo.com/taking-stock-seaworlds-dismal--658706082.html

I believe it may be related to the "documentary" criticizing Sea World over its treatment of killer whales.

i just read this - not sure if it true but link is below.

Is a company in trouble if stock is down by almost a quarter over the past year?

Or is this nothing to worry about.

I am not sure what these figures mean!

SeaWorld was always in the top three theme parks - disney, universal then seaworld that people would visit.

(although i am not sure of their attendence figures lately)

https://www.thedodo.com/taking-stock-seaworlds-dismal--658706082.html

It can mean many things --- including a lower cost outlay for their big next door neighbor......;)

Can SeaWorld recover from this?

Is this just a blip?

They have been a successful theme park for years now.

I agree it is probably the documentary - after we saw it DD (age 14) declared we would never ever go there again.

It probably is the documentary.

I wish some public awareness would be raised on the treatment of those dolphins at Epcot. That tank is too small. They never get to feel fresh air or sunshine. Just tragic. I wonder how Disney gets away with that without any negative PR.

No, stock price is nothing to worry about, unless you hold this stock and just saw this dropped by 25%.
Stock market is run by the expectations of all investors in the future profitability of a company. Right now investors seem te be scared that the docu on the Killer Whales will prevent people from visiting the parks and lowering revenue --> lowering profits, which is relevant for stock owners. If the visitors number hold the stock will go up again.
Stock price has nothing to do with day-to-day business of a company. Sea World didn't loose any cash by this and will not gain any cash if the stock price rises.
So just go there en enjoy your holiday. :thumbsup2

I live an hour south of Orlando and I don't know about anywhere else in the country but here we are seeing Sea World commercials emphasizing how well the whales are treated and loved plus much Sea World does for marine life. I know park attendance is down which probably is due to Blackfish, which probably led to the stock dropping as mentioned above.

I wish some public awareness would be raised on the treatment of those dolphins at Epcot. That tank is too small. They never get to feel fresh air or sunshine. Just tragic. I wonder how Disney gets away with that without any negative PR.

yes i saw those too.

disney has such great immaculate theme parks - yet they have dolphins in a tank that looks very dirty with no natural sunlight. :-)

No, stock price is nothing to worry about, unless you hold this stock and just saw this dropped by 25%.
Stock market is run by the expectations of all investors in the future profitability of a company. Right now investors seem te be scared that the docu on the Killer Whales will prevent people from visiting the parks and lowering revenue --> lowering profits, which is relevant for stock owners. If the visitors number hold the stock will go up again.
Stock price has nothing to do with day-to-day business of a company. Sea World didn't loose any cash by this and will not gain any cash if the stock price rises.
So just go there en enjoy your holiday. :thumbsup2

thanks for explaining that to me!

ITA with this. It makes my heart hurt when I think of those poor dolphins. Honestly, I'm hoping that Disney quietly relocates them in order to avoid the PR problems that Sea World is currently facing.

As for Sea World...I'm really thinking that it's the end of an era for them. I do think that Blackfish isn't going to be a recoverable event for them, unless they totally change the offerings in their parks. I think the final nail in the coffin will come if/when another trainer is injured or killed, but they may be able to struggle along until then.

I live an hour south of Orlando and I don't know about anywhere else in the country but here we are seeing Sea World commercials emphasizing how well the whales are treated and loved plus much Sea World does for marine life. I know park attendance is down which probably is due to Blackfish, which probably led to the stock dropping as mentioned above.

They're running similar ads here in MA too, they're like interviews with the trainers talking about how they love making a difference and their experiences working with the whales, stuff like that. They're really pushing to undo the damage that Blackfish has done to their reputation.

I went on the dolphin tour at epcot and I have to agree. On a side note, that dolphin tour was basically a scared straight tour rather than an actual informative dolphin tour. They wouldn't stop talking about how dolphins are more dangerous than sharks and they aren't cute like all of you think. I hoped that they would have taught us about their habitat/behaviors etc. but it wasn't that at all.

Attendance seems to be down at many parks including Cedar Point, Busch Gardens and Six Flags. It's hard to say how much the Blackfish bit has affected SeaWorld.

I think it's a blip. They've been a class act for 50 years.

I'm glad I gave them our money this year.

How is Discovery Cove doing?....

I read somewhere that although guest numbers were down, spending per guest was up recently, but I guess shareholders didn't like it.

In terms of park numbers I think Universal have also stolen people away from SeaWorld.

It's more than just Blackfish. In Orlando the Boy Wizard has stolen lots of visitors and their Antarctica attraction was a major flop. The other parks in the chain have also seen declining attendance, even at the Busch Gardens parks.

We're season pass holders at the sister parks here in Virginia: Busch Gardens and Water Country. I'll tell you we were at WC yesterday. I've never seen a weekday so packed. I bet the park was at sellout, or near sellout status. When we drove in around 11:30, they were parking people in the furthermost lots. I've never seen that happen on a weekday. Overall, it's been a bit busier this summer than in years past. Same with BG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter