• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selecting Airline Seats

Thank you!!! I tried signing Baby Girl up via Every Day Rewards but she was too young, but this worked! :)

Little side question - last year she flew twice with VAustralia as a 'lap child', I am a Velocity card holder, so would the points for her have gone on my card or should I sign her up (try and find the darn tickets lol) and be able to claim the points for her (does a lap child get points? I paid for her)

You don't earn points unless you have your own seat, so no point trying to claim retrospectively :)

As gogo65 said though, sign her up next time as you can pool e points and status credits so you get the benefit!

I still recommend you book/pay for your international seat selection. Yes Qantas may sit you all together, but row 73 in the center may not be the most ideal for a long haul flight. But never assume that they will seat you together as stuff does happen...I would rather be the captain of my own destiny ...

also USA domestic carriers are notorious for changing seat allocation multiple times due to equipment change so check daily in the last 30 days or so.

YMMV.

Has anyone else used the free FF link successfully. I enter the details and then it just gives me a 404 error page :( I was going to do WW rewards - didn't realise there was an age limit.

Sally

Has anyone else used the free FF link successfully. I enter the details and then it just gives me a 404 error page :( I was going to do WW rewards - didn't realise there was an age limit.

Sally

I signed my Baby Girl up using it the other night okay. Tried going through Everyday Rewards but she was too young.

Sally

Were you trying from work? I often get screwy errors when doing things online from work - the system they use to block unacceptable content seems to block other random stuff from time to time. Maybe try again from home? The link definitely works.

I still recommend you book/pay for your international seat selection. Yes Qantas may sit you all together, but row 73 in the center may not be the most ideal for a long haul flight. But never assume that they will seat you together as stuff does happen...I would rather be the captain of my own destiny ...

also USA domestic carriers are notorious for changing seat allocation multiple times due to equipment change so check daily in the last 30 days or so.

YMMV.

yep...delta changed the equipment/aircraft yesterday for my sept flight,so i checked my seats and they were across the aisle from each other...so it pays to check constantly. I moved them back to where I wanted..sorted!

this is a full time job monitoring my flights :upsidedow

ahhh the joys of travelpirate:

Thanks for the reassurance that it worked. I tried again today with Safari and had no luck and then thought I would just give it a go on Chrome and Mercury - had success with one of them. Computers confuse me sometimes.

I really need to do my qantas seats - there is economy and there is sitting with her back on the loo's with the door slamming every 2 minutes!

51 days until we fly out! Just to the UK and DLP. Not quite up for WDW yet!

Sally

We travelled to USA in march on Qantas, I didn't book our seats, flight over were second row from the back in the middle rows,(which we wanted as there were 4 of us,2 adults 2 children,11,and 4).
Flight back middle rows again in the middle of plane, which I highly recommend as its a lot smoother ride in the centre of the plane.
My dad always tries to fly over the wings, (big plane buff,lol).
Have a great holiday.

I do like to be over the wing too but DH likes being forward of the wing.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It really is so stressful for some of us less experienced travellers to stay on top of things. Thank goodness for you and your constantly alerts Karen :rotfl:

When we flew VA last year we made sure we were at the airport to be one of the first in line for check-in. We then requested the seats we wanted.

fFor the reward buff people out there, we are flying Virgin Atlantic this year - I am guessing our Aus FF program will cover this... but what about Swiss Air - any recommendations on who we should join - or any options for lounge access?

When we flew VA last year we made sure we were at the airport to be one of the first in line for check-in. We then requested the seats we wanted.

fFor the reward buff people out there, we are flying Virgin Atlantic this year - I am guessing our Aus FF program will cover this... but what about Swiss Air - any recommendations on who we should join - or any options for lounge access?

swiss air are part of the star alliance...ie air new zealand, singapore airlines etc..so if you are a member of those ones you can get your flight credit attached to those programs.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/ :coffee:

heres also a site that you can have a look at re swiss air..hopefully you'll get some lounge infor here..http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-airlines-502/

Thanks Karen, both DD's have travelled with Singapore this year, so I will see if they can get retrospective points.

Thanks Karen, both DD's have travelled with Singapore this year, so I will see if they can get retrospective points.

to get the points retrospectively they have had to be already signed up with FF program, and then just send a copy of their boarding pass for those flights to FF thingy...YMMV.

I also find the Air new zealand program good as well...although its taking me forever to get enough for one of us to fly PE to LAX...maybe by 2016...:idea:

Singapore airlines has a fantastic FF program, we have all our Amex points go to either virgin or Singapore airlines.
Singapore have great seat availabilty although high taxes(similar to qantas) however the redemption rates are low. We are flying business class from Rome to Sydney for 64000 points and $350 in taxes,:cool1: in comparison qantas is 128000 points from London and around $450 in taxes.

to get the points retrospectively they have had to be already signed up with FF program, and then just send a copy of their boarding pass for those flights to FF thingy...YMMV.

I also find the Air new zealand program good as well...although its taking me forever to get enough for one of us to fly PE to LAX...maybe by 2016...:idea:

Thanks :thumbsup2 - oldest DD signed up before she went to Tokyo earlier this year. Youngest DD was on a school trip, and we were told no FF would be collect so I didn't sign her up. SHe is heading off to Italy in October with school on SA, so I will sign everyone up today and try and get retrospective on her next trip.

I don't know why we were told no FF on the first school trip.

last year we flew vaustralia and got to the airport before the counter staff and asked really politely for 3 seats on the left hand side of the plane close to the loos in the middle... we were seated approx 2 rows in front of the galley, left hand side, 2 rows up from the loo :)

this year, we get to do seat selection for free, so i picked the seats we wanted (after some research on seat guru). will keep checking them right up until we fly, and we will still rock up to the airport waaaayyy before we need to, and ensure that we ask politely for the seat allocation...

i know it's never ever ever guaranteed, but it's a little bit of peace of mind for some of us.

those that travel just as a couple or as grown adults might find it less of a stressful thing to not have seat allocation sorted, but i understand for those that travel with children etc, it can be quite stressful thinking about your kids being stuck next to strangers for 14+ hours...

Singapore airlines has a fantastic FF program, we have all our Amex points go to either virgin or Singapore airlines.
Singapore have great seat availabilty although high taxes(similar to qantas) however the redemption rates are low. We are flying business class from Rome to Sydney for 64000 points and $350 in taxes,:cool1: in comparison qantas is 128000 points from London and around $450 in taxes.

Thanks Gogo - we have a Amex - linked to our CBA/MC. I have not checked if I can transfer the points to Virgin/Singapore. I will have to have a look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter