Self care before vacation?

Shave, nails (usually done by myself), and blowout (done by me, my mom - she's great!, or the salon).

I regularly wax and get facials.

What's self-care? lol

As a mom of 4 I spend the days leading up to vacation doing laundry, packing clothes for the boys, myself, and DH. Working a full time job, doing the weekly commitments (scouts, etc.), cooking, tidying up the house, and then IF I have time I might paint my toe nails. Really, I'm just happy if my clothes and toiletries make it to the vacation.

I got a pedicure because I will be wearing sandals. That’s it. I don’t need to “prep” for vacations.

I used to be young and poor and have been late on a bill before. I’ve never heard of anyone having their electricity shut off due to being a week or two late. Must be some strict utility company!

I got a pedicure because I will be wearing sandals. That’s it. I don’t need to “prep” for vacations.

I used to be young and poor and have been late on a bill before. I’ve never heard of anyone having their electricity shut off due to being a week or two late. Must be some strict utility company!

It was a couple of months late. DH had changed banks and forgot about the electric bill, so yeah. I was not so very happy with him. I swear, the kids would be repossessed if it wasn't for auto-pay.

Depending on the trip I may get some new clothes and shoes. I try to get a haircut two weeks before a trip because that's usually when my hair looks at its best. I do my own nails. My eyebrows are apparently a wonder of nature and don't need a thing ever, not even so much as a pencil.

I have to come home to a clean house or I will be cranky and it will spoil all of my happy vacation glow.

Depending on the trip I may get some new clothes and shoes. I try to get a haircut two weeks before a trip because that's usually when my hair looks at its best. I do my own nails. My eyebrows are apparently a wonder of nature and don't need a thing ever, not even so much as a pencil.

I have to come home to a clean house or I will be cranky and it will spoil all of my happy vacation glow.

I'm so jealous of your brow situation! I can put on a full face of makeup (I don't contour much or anything fancy) in much less time than I can do my freaking brows. I have a scar on one side that I'm self conscious about so it's not really something I want to skip.

I'm so jealous of your brow situation! I can put on a full face of makeup (I don't contour much or anything fancy) in much less time than I can do my freaking brows. I have a scar on one side that I'm self conscious about so it's not really something I want to skip.

Apparently my brows are my good feature. I shall brag about them to make sure their self esteem stays healthy.

What's self-care? lol

As a mom of 4 I spend the days leading up to vacation doing laundry, packing clothes for the boys, myself, and DH. Working a full time job, doing the weekly commitments (scouts, etc.), cooking, tidying up the house, and then IF I have time I might paint my toe nails. Really, I'm just happy if my clothes and toiletries make it to the vacation.
I actually feel as I get into bed for every vacation—Is it all worth it? I even have a passing feeling of not wanting to go. I asked dh if he ever feels that. He said, “Yes. There’s a lot of s*** to get done.” Going is always worth it, but the self care is the vacation. It doesn’t start until I’m on holiday.

I’m actually trying to get away with dh for a night next weekend. We’ve been so busy and with my dd’s new school schedule, we have not vacationed enough this year. It’s taking moving heaven and earth to make it happen. But I’ll do it because it’s good for us.

I get a haircut/color about 5 days before and have my eyebrows waxed. But I time the appointment/vacation so that it's my regularly scheduled trip to the salon (every 8 weeks) anyway. I will not do nail polish of any kind because it wrecks my nails.

Wow, this thread is making me feel like a total slob. When I saw self-care I was thinking about mental things like taking regular walks for stress relief or maybe a massage - not personal grooming. I have however learnt that I don’t like my photos if my hair hasn’t been cut in too long.

As for everything else, I like to swim a lot so I actually do a lot less while away - no straightener is worth it if my hair is getting wet once or more per day! Also salt and chlorine strip colour so I would get that done the day after returning not before going.

I am inclined to clean my house though. Sometimes that’s so it’s easy for the house sitter if I’m planning a longer trip, and for a shorter trip it’s so there’s one less thing to do while jet lagged and unpacking.

I actually feel as I get into bed for every vacation—Is it all worth it? I even have a passing feeling of not wanting to go. I asked dh if he ever feels that. He said, “Yes. There’s a lot of s*** to get done.” Going is always worth it, but the self care is the vacation. It doesn’t start until I’m on holiday.

I’m actually trying to get away with dh for a night next weekend. We’ve been so busy and with my dd’s new school schedule, we have not vacationed enough this year. It’s taking moving heaven and earth to make it happen. But I’ll do it because it’s good for us.

I feel that way too. I LOVE to travel, it's my number 1 hobby and where most of my money goes. I love planning, but usually a day or two before I get this really overwhelming feeling that doesn't go away until I'm up in the air with a drink. At that point, there's nothing I can do about anything I may have forgotten so I just relax and enjoy the trip.

To the OP, all I do is like many others, make sure the house is clean before I leave. I try not to shop for groceries in the week leading up to going so as not to have a bunch of food go to waste, but rather use up what we have. I may get a pedicure if it's a warm destination and where I'll be wearing mostly sandals, but that's about it! I try to keep up with my normal grooming habits so there's really nothing extra to do before a trip.

I can relate! We are so busy with jobs and life and it's a PITA to get away sometimes. I'm always so glad once I'm out the door. I just have to keep reminding myself how good it will feel to get away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter