Sending Kids to School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how it is in all countries, but I've sees pictures of some troubled or problematic people in some countries chained up inside their homes by their families in order to keep them reigned in. It would be very interesting to see how other countries deal with mental illness.

Meanwhile, here in the U.S. we've de-institutionalized a large portion of our mentally ill popluation, and it's very hard to force services on individuals who don't want them. We've also focused on mainstreaming and resist things like "labeling" people, which puts societal pressure on acting a certain way, and difficult to identify and work toward getting help and services for people who need them. (And that's speaking non-politically. To add in political factors make it even harder.)

I think there are solutions but they're not easy ones and there has to be buy-in coming from a lot of different angles. That just isn't going to happen unless people can start by actually talking to one another and quit with the name calling and other foolishness that does little to help the cause. This problem will not be solved from just one angle.

I don't know how it is in all countries, but I've sees pictures of some troubled or problematic people in some countries chained up inside their homes by their families in order to keep them reigned in. It would be very interesting to see how other countries deal with mental illness.

Meanwhile, here in the U.S. we've de-institutionalized a large portion of our mentally ill popluation, and it's very hard to force services on individuals who don't want them. We've also focused on mainstreaming and resist things like "labeling" people, which puts societal pressure on acting a certain way, and difficult to identify and work toward getting help and services for people who need them. (And that's speaking non-politically. To add in political factors make it even harder.)
Western European countries do not chain mentally ill people up at home or institutionalize most of them any more than the U.S. does, and they do not have these issues with gun violence.

Canada is right next door to the U.S., they speak the same language and share the same culture as us in many respects, but they do not share our permissive gun laws. And they do not share our school shootings. What a coincidence...

I'm a gun owner, btw. I'm not advocating making guns illegal for all. But much, much more regulation is needed. It should be hard, not easy, to get a gun. That is the case in Europe, Canada, and most other countries in the world, and as a result, their gun violence rates are much lower.

Last edited:
I don't know that you can equate "stricter gun laws" with "fewer shootings". I think that is one PART of the equation, but won't solve the whole thing. Keep in mind, the school shooter in Kentucky a couple weeks ago used a handgun.

And guns have been in the hands of US citizens since the birth of our country and the NRA has been around since 1871.
Not to mention how the treatment of mentally ill people has changed over the years, and how it is far from the same all over the world.
The reasons are not as black and white as you think, and those who fail to realize that will never get the change they want.

AR-15s and other automatic weapons have been in the hands of citizens since the birth of our country? The only black and white I see is coming from those that refuse to put gun availability on the table.

AR-15s and other automatic weapons have been in the hands of citizens since the birth of our country? The only black and white I see is coming from those that refuse to put gun availability on the table.

So the only way you can try to make a point is to put words in my mouth? Ok then, but when nobody wants to listen to you don't blame them blame yourself.
Have a good rest of your weekend.

Canada is right next door to the U.S., they speak the same language and share the same culture as us in many respects, but they do not share our permissive gun laws. And they do not share our school shootings. What a coincidence...

I'm a gun owner, btw. I'm not advocating making guns illegal for all. But much, much more regulation is needed. It should be hard, not easy, to get a gun.

I am a Canadian gun owner. Canada has it’s share of violence, but we have a fraction of the population of the US, and we are generally more spread out. We have also had lots of cut-backs in funding for policing, and for mental health. Don’t believe those that try to tell you things are rosy everywhere else. There is misinformation everywhere.

I have no idea why some of you blame the NRA—other than because the celebrities and the MSM are telling you to blame them. It is very important to do your own thinking these days.

Except it’s not fully automatic so do not label it that way. That is one reason one side will not listen to the other. Too many things said that aren’t true.

This is a spin-off of the Florida school shooting thread.

How did the news affect your kids this morning? (Did they even know about it?) Did you talk about it with them? Did you do anything differently this morning?
If this makes me banned so be it. In Australia we had one incident in 1996. And this thus made for stricter gun control. It TOOK ONE mass shooting to stop many. We have not had one since. AND NO people still have guns. But controls stopped this. And yes we protested. Today we all know that this works and it SAVES LIVES.

People have the same mental illnesses all over the world, but no other country in the world approaches the rampant gun violence that exists in the USA. The reason for that has everything to do with the NRA's politically influential interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

The vast majority of people with mental illnesses, including severe mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, are nonviolent.
Yes but YOU DO NOT HAVE FREE MEDICAL CARE.Sorry not angry at you just the crap system

If this makes me banned so be it. In Australia we had one incident in 1996. And this thus made for stricter gun control. It TOOK ONE mass shooting to stop many. We have not had one since. AND NO people still have guns. But controls stopped this. And yes we protested. Today we all know that this works and it SAVES LIVES.
How does your country stop guns from being smuggled in?

This has again strayed far from the topic and back to the reason the original thread had to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter