Sending Kids to School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local law enforcement is saying that he had no ties to white nationalist group.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ist-militia-tallahassee-leader-say/341751002/
Law enforcement visited his home 39 times in the last 7 years
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/us/shooter-profile-invs/index.html

Cruz's attorneys referred to as a chronic battle with mental illness and depression exacerbated by the recent death of his adoptive mother, which left him without parents.

I don't think you can deny that this specific incident is the result of a known mentally ill person.
No doubt he has issues. Many.

I do agree, though, too, that it seems insane to think that a kid like this (? Or any kid) should've had a weapon like that in his possession.

I think that looking at how he bought it legally, and why he was allowed to keep it both a) at home and b) when he went to live elsewhere, are things that should be looked at along with everything else.

As I said, it seems like almost a perfect storm. We are going to have to learn from this, if we haven't before.

OP here. I usually don't mind at all when topics diverge in all sorts of interesting directions, but the news thread about the tragedy was already closed because it got into politics. This one was just supposed to be a parenting discussion about helping our kids to deal with their fears as they went back to school. I'm hoping we can keep it that way.

The reality is that our kids may very well be going to school with kids like the shooter. Our alternative HS is right across the street from our elementary school and a mile down the road from our HS. There are very troubled kids in that HS, I think the shooter's mental health should be part of a conversation about how parents are handling this tragedy with their kids.

My two are in college and they've reviewed situational awareness over some incidents they've had and incidents on the news.

We've talked about it when they were younger and now, just like I have had to at work myself.

I would not want them to not know what to do when and if something like this happens at school or anywhere else.

They need to be aware of their surroundings at all times and think about a plan if something were to happen.

I hate that it has to be this way, but this is the world we live in today.

The reality is that our kids may very well be going to school with kids like the shooter. Our alternative HS is right across the street from our elementary school and a mile down the road from our HS. There are very troubled kids in that HS, I think the shooter's mental health should be part of a conversation about how parents are handling this tragedy with their kids.

I think that part is fine. I was assuming the gun debate might get the thread closed.

My daughter says they had a lengthy discussion about it in AP US History class yesterday. But it was started by the students. Nothing from school officials at all.

My daughter says they had a lengthy discussion about it in AP US History class yesterday. But it was started by the students. Nothing from school officials at all.

Good for those students! I was really surprised to hear that neither of my kid's (9th and 12th) talked about it in any of their classes.

I do think the kids can be a big comfort to each other. No matter what we adults say, I'm sure they still have the feeling that we aren't "living it" the way they are.

No one is willing to take on the mental illness epidemic that is rampant now. The NRA and 2nd Amendment have nothing to do with this at all. We used to help the mentally ill or at least institutionalize them. We didn't use to drug our kids. We used to monitor people who have been through the LE system, as this adult male was since he was a child, but apparently we don't anymore.

I completely disagree, though I do not want to engage in political discussion.

I don't know what you mean about "didn't use to drug our kids," but I certainly hope you aren't saying that children, who are diagnosed with illnesses and disorders should not be given needed medication.

I do feel there should be programs in schools that include small social groups where the children get to know each other and have the opportunity to become friends. This is easy for some kids, but difficult to impossible for others.

I do feel there should be programs in schools that include small social groups where the children get to know each other and have the opportunity to become friends. This is easy for some kids, but difficult to impossible for others.
....during School Spirit Week, the students are not allowed to sit with their friends in the cafeteria, but must sit with strangers, or only students that they would not normally converse with. These moments are real eye-openers for most of them....

No one is willing to take on the mental illness epidemic that is rampant now. The NRA and 2nd Amendment have nothing to do with this at all. We used to help the mentally ill or at least institutionalize them. We didn't use to drug our kids. We used to monitor people who have been through the LE system, as this adult male was since he was a child, but apparently we don't anymore.

When did we ever help the mentally ill? Not the severely, detached from reality mentally ill but the people like this young man who fit the mass shooter "profile" - angry, socially disconnected, but generally functional individuals who attend school and hold jobs and generally feign "normal" until the day that they don't? I don't think there's ever been a time in our history where those people got adequate access to help.

We also have MORE people under LE supervision/control than ever, and more than every other nation in the world as a percentage of the population. So that doesn't really seem to be a solution...

Mental illness isn't the flu; it isn't something we can stop with handwashing and vaccination. We can't address the epidemic without talking about the underlying causes, which are hard to clearly identify and often stray into topics even more politically toxic than gun control. Which is to say, it probably won't ever be addressed.

My high schooler said yesterday they went over the safety plan again at the beginning of each of his classes. Also, as I mentioned yesterday, they're closing all the schools in the district on Monday to meet with all faculty/staff/school resource officers to review/revise their safety plans. So, I imagine there will be more discussion in the coming weeks.

....during School Spirit Week, the students are not allowed to sit with their friends in the cafeteria, but must sit with strangers, or only students that they would not normally converse with. These moments are real eye-openers for most of them....

This is a wonderful idea!

I just find it ridiculous that a thread is shut down because everyone is frustrated with these shootings, especially at schools.
The moderators of the DIS do an extraordinary job, and they gave everyone a huge amount of latitude on that other thread. Personally, I was surprised the mods left it open as long as they did -- and I am sure they did so specifically so people could express their anger, grief, etc from this event.

Regardless of anyone's opinion about any issue, this is a privately-owned discussion forum and it has rules.

One of the rules specifically prohibits political discussions because they always get heated and are disruptive. If you are not familiar with that rule, it is a Sticky at the top of every DIS forum I've ever looked at. Here's a link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/important-new-policy-regarding-politics-and-religion.2125870/

If you want to discuss politics, there are plenty of places to do that on the Internet -- but the DIS is NOT one of them. Just follow the rules.

They go to school like they normally do. You can give them as much as a plan that you like, but fact is that fear paralyzes and school kids of all ages. will listen to the adult in their charge. I have a 20 year and three teenagers and they roll their eyes at those so in denial about guns that they are willing to say "kids should have spoken up if they knew this kid has issues". Hello! Kids did speak up. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge of the law knows that like Adam Lanza, you can't forcibly treat a mentally ill kid (that isn't yours) until he gets arrested.

I just emailed the girls' principal. They have two codes (yellow- unknown person on property, red - person in building who didn't check in the office). My 1st grader doesn't remember doing either drill. So I asked if they don't have the drills planned for the teachers to at least do a refresher.

It looks like we will be getting the girls phones. We had no intention of it until they were driving (because we are very old fashioned), but I keep thinking how terrified those parents and kids must have been and how thankful they probably we're that they could communicate on their phones. I can't spend hours not knowing if my babies are safe.

They go to school like they normally do. You can give them as much as a plan that you like, but fact is that fear paralyzes and school kids of all ages. will listen to the adult in their charge. I have a 20 year and three teenagers and they roll their eyes at those so in denial about guns that they are willing to say "kids should have spoken up if they knew this kid has issues". Hello! Kids did speak up. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge of the law knows that like Adam Lanza, you can't forcibly treat a mentally ill kid (that isn't yours) until he gets arrested.

Yes, they spoke up and no one did anything. That is the problem. Your last statement IS part of the problem. This kid should not have slipped through the cracks When the school has to tell a kid "You can come back but you cannot bring a back pack" there is a bigger issue than a few little discipline problems and the school, at the very least, should have some authority to get something done for this kid.

Why don't we focus on the WHOLE problem and not just one part of it. Rolling your eyes at those you do not feel are as "enlightened" as you isn't going to fix anything.

It looks like we will be getting the girls phones. We had no intention of it until they were driving (because we are very old fashioned), but I keep thinking how terrified those parents and kids must have been and how thankful they probably we're that they could communicate on their phones. I can't spend hours not knowing if my babies are safe.

I wasn't planning on getting phones for the kids either until they drive but I have started to think about giving them one now. I just keep thinking what if this happens here and they have no way to get a hold of one on us. I would be terrified.

OMG...the FBI received a credible tip that Nikolas Cruz might be planning a school shooting, and did NOT investigate it. This is a completely different tip from the one they received months prior about a comment made on YouTube.

The FBI Director issued a statement today saying a credible tip was received on January 5, 2018, but it slipped through the cracks and was never forwarded to the Miami Field Office. Needless to say, they are conducting an internal investigation to see what went wrong.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200523359.html

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on getting phones for the kids either until they drive but I have started to think about giving them one now. I just keep thinking what if this happens here and they have no way to get a hold of one on us. I would be terrified.

Just saw on my local news that two kids 2 school districts away posed in the bathroom at school holding up a gun and posted it on Snapchat yesterday afternoon.

This is insane. Guess the girls are definitely getting their phones now.

The moderators of the DIS do an extraordinary job, and they gave everyone a huge amount of latitude on that other thread. Personally, I was surprised the mods left it open as long as they did -- and I am sure they did so specifically so people could express their anger, grief, etc from this event.

Regardless of anyone's opinion about any issue, this is a privately-owned discussion forum and it has rules.

One of the rules specifically prohibits political discussions because they always get heated and are disruptive. If you are not familiar with that rule, it is a Sticky at the top of every DIS forum I've ever looked at. Here's a link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/important-new-policy-regarding-politics-and-religion.2125870/

If you want to discuss politics, there are plenty of places to do that on the Internet -- but the DIS is NOT one of them. Just follow the rules.

Exactly. Couldn’t have stated it better myself. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter