• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 2017 Car Rental Watch

DH and I are headed down 9/12-9/18 for Disney and Georgia Tech vs. UCF football :cheer2: (Two of our favorite things!) I'm just now thinking we need to get a rental car after pricing Uber/lyft to the stadium. We really only need the car Sat - Mon. I'm new to the car rental price game. Those of you getting good deals using Costco - are you booking through Costco or directly on the car rental site using your Costco membership number? Also, is it typically more expensive if you have different pick-up/drop-off locations? Thanks so much!!!
I always try the codes from Costco directly with Alamo (my personal preference for renting) but rarely can I get the same exact rate that way so usually I book directly on the Costco website. I think in the August thread some people were finding good deals picking up at mco and dropping at the car care center so you might get lucky doing separate locations.

I always try the codes from Costco directly with Alamo (my personal preference for renting) but rarely can I get the same exact rate that way so usually I book directly on the Costco website. I think in the August thread some people were finding good deals picking up at mco and dropping at the car care center so you might get lucky doing separate locations.

Everytime I tried a MCO pick up and a Car Care Center dropoff the rates went from 150-160 to nearly 700.

I'd like to pick up around WDW and drop off at MCO. I only need it a couple of days, so my rates probably won't be as good as the ones reported here. I'm going to check out my credit card rewards, too.

There is a shuttle that will take you from your onsite hotel to the car care center to pick up a rental. But you may want to price out that cost and a MCO to MCO length of stay rental as there might not be much difference between the two.

We are staying from the 9th to the 18th and have a full size thru AAA for only $163.

Update, same reservation now down to $153.94. I like Hertz, but wish I could get comparable price with Alamo. Unfortunately everything I price with them is twice as much!

Last edited:
Price down to $149. I'm shocked that it's so low, especially since prices were not moving downward for the longest time. DH thinks I'm ridiculous to rebook for only $4. A month ago I would have been thrilled to get the cost under $200, now we are closer to $100. Can't imagine it can go any lower for a ten day rental?!

Price down to $149. I'm shocked that it's so low, especially since prices were not moving downward for the longest time. DH thinks I'm ridiculous to rebook for only $4. A month ago I would have been thrilled to get the cost under $200, now we are closer to $100. Can't imagine it can go any lower for a ten day rental?!
$4 is $4!! Why pay more if you can rebook?!?

Mine has not changed since I booked it months ago. We have a minivan.

$4 is $4!! Why pay more if you can rebook?!?

I totally agree, an extra Disney treat! The other day the rate went down by $1, but I held off and kept the rate I had. I was too lazy to go for the buck! It's lower now anyway. I do think I've rebooked with Hertz about five times since the big drop the other day. I will be surprised if it goes any lower!

I had a midsize car booked through Alamo fr Sept. 11-18 for $260. Checked the other day and it was down to $168 and I was pretty pleased with myself. Decided to check this thread to see if I could do any better. I've been a member of AAA for years and it never occurred to me before reading here that they rent cars. Now I have an intermediate booked with Hertz for $125! I'm giddy! It sounds like their Gold club is similar to Alamo, where you skip the counter. But then you go to the garage and get an assigned car? Is that correct?

I had a midsize car booked through Alamo fr Sept. 11-18 for $260. Checked the other day and it was down to $168 and I was pretty pleased with myself. Decided to check this thread to see if I could do any better. I've been a member of AAA for years and it never occurred to me before reading here that they rent cars. Now I have an intermediate booked with Hertz for $125! I'm giddy! It sounds like their Gold club is similar to Alamo, where you skip the counter. But then you go to the garage and get an assigned car? Is that correct?

Not sure how the Gold club works. I was going to look into it today actually. A woman I work with told me she uses Hertz all the time as a member and says she gets nice discounts and upgrades. I have only used Hertz once, as Alamo has always had the best prices for me. I was hesitant to go with them, but had no problems. The wait at the counter was minimal, and most importantly, I was able to pick my own car. I make my husband crazy while I try to decide what I want. He just picks a spot in the parking lot and waits til I make my choice,as I change my mind often!

Glad you were able to get a good rate, looks like the prices shot up today so the downward trend may be over.

Not sure how the Gold club works. I was going to look into it today actually. A woman I work with told me she uses Hertz all the time as a member and says she gets nice discounts and upgrades. I have only used Hertz once, as Alamo has always had the best prices for me. I was hesitant to go with them, but had no problems. The wait at the counter was minimal, and most importantly, I was able to pick my own car. I make my husband crazy while I try to decide what I want. He just picks a spot in the parking lot and waits til I make my choice,as I change my mind often!

Glad you were able to get a good rate, looks like the prices shot up today so the downward trend may be over.

Thanks! I'm glad I got in on the lower rates. I did a bit of googling and MCO has Hertz Ultimate Choice, you choose your vehicle. I did read that the first rental is counter so they verify your CC and license. Now I'm trying to find out if we can do this in the garage...

I have never looked at Hertz before, but I did after this. Wow, they are cheaper than anyone else with AAA. Thank you! I have an intermediate (I am going alone, don't need anything bigger) Sept 1-7 for $101!

I totally agree, an extra Disney treat! The other day the rate went down by $1, but I held off and kept the rate I had. I was too lazy to go for the buck! It's lower now anyway. I do think I've rebooked with Hertz about five times since the big drop the other day. I will be surprised if it goes any lower!
I just rebooked (again).. rate went down a total of $.33!

Those that booked with Hertz, what code(s) did you use? Hertz has really high rates for us.
I am a AAA member, so I clicked on the AAA discounts. However, my rate has more than doubled what it was when I booked this morning. Went from $101 to $213!

Even though I have a rate I am very happy with, I have been still checking Hertz/AAA over the past few days. My rate of $149 for ten days went way up the next day, then back down to around $160. Last time I checked it was back in the $200's. So, you may want to check a few times a day because there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the pricing!

As for codes, I just went on the AAA website, clicked on advanced search under the travel tab car rentals and quite a few different options popped up, depending on the number of days you need.

Last edited:
Like many others, I've had to move my arrival from this Monday to Tuesday until 9/18. I ended up back at Alamo for $139. Not an amazing deal, but still pretty good all things considered. Could still cancel the whole thing, obviously. My thoughts and prayers are with all in Irma's path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter