September Crowds

Going 9/1-9/10. We are regular Sept guests and it does get busier every year it seems. However, crowds are still lower than other times of the year.

For those of you who haven't been in a few years during Sept, it has gotten so much busier. The last year I would truly call "slow" was 2013.
Agreed. I haven't been in September in a while but DD has, and I've planned trips for other family members and friends. It's still a great time to go compared to other times of year, just not as slow as it used to be. I have old pics with nobody in the backgrounds lol. That wouldn't happen now.

Thanks, that is really helpful to know!
We are staying offsite and I am hoping against hope that we can get a FP for a party of 3 for FEA at 30 days.... Hopefully it will work out!
Good luck! You're probably going to need some luck to get that one, but I would recommend that you just keep trying. People do cancel and things open up. Right now when I look for a party of 2 on 9/8 the choices are 6:25, 6:40, 7:10, and 7:40. From what I've been reading just the fact that there are any choices at all is indicative of the low crowd level. People have been saying that if you don't get them exactly at 60 days there are none left, but I don't know firsthand.

Im getting ready to book our Universal trip with a plan to book MNSSHP for sept 11. I know it will still be hot. I'm hoping it's not too crowded.

We usually go in February but are trying September this year for a change (MNSSHP, woohoo!). As long as the crowds aren't as bad as Presidents week, I'll be happy!! Lol

I don't think you'll need to worry about that. We are in education in Georgia as one of the above posters are and have both September break and Mid-Winter break during February. We have always seen less crowded times and better deals during September.

Agreed. I haven't been in September in a while but DD has, and I've planned trips for other family members and friends. It's still a great time to go compared to other times of year, just not as slow as it used to be. I have old pics with nobody in the backgrounds lol. That wouldn't happen now.

WE also had that happen in early May when my daughter was in elementary school. I remember walking down Mickey Avenue with Tigger bouncing all around us with very few people there. I guess those days are gone.

Echoing previous September experience- we went in 2004 (hurricane Jeanne hit that week) and it was emp-TY!!! I know we won't ever see it like that again but hoping it won't be cray cray.

We went the last two Septembers and both were busy. It an off week for many Georgia schools and thats when my grand kids are off as well. We'll be there the 23-28 again and expect the same. I think to many people live by the crowd calendars now.

If they are busy, I hope they extend the hours for MK. The latest they are open is 9pm. except for party nights and that's two of the nights we will be there. Expect the worst and hope for the best I guess!! :-)
We are there 20-28 and I am really hoping they extend the operating hours (and thus EMH hours) at MK on Wednesday - 8pm close/10pm EMH is lame.

We'll be there the 3rd through the 17th and I'm expecting low-ish crowds for the first week and crowd levels should be ramping up near mid month. I do prefer minor crowds as opposed to literally zero people. Being the only ones on Star Tours or Tower of Terror isn't as exciting as when you're in there with a full group. lol

Going 9/3-9/11 - and I feel like there is still quite a bit of flexibility with moving my ADR's and FP's around. Maybe that's a good sign that it won't be too bad. While the crowds might be up quite a bit for September lately, I just don't see it being spring break or Christmas crowded. I could be way off, but....I sure hope not.

I've had the exact same experience. We're there 9/3-9/10 and have been able to adjust as needed and we are a party of 10!

I suspect we will see the perceived lower attendance continue - there is a lot going in the world that will have an effect on attendance IMO. No point in going into that.

In the end Disboards is a very small sample of the general population of people who go to Disney. Yes we know September\Oct is the "slower" time - but do the other 80-90% of the people going to Disney know that?

In my experience there are still loads of people that go to Disney and really have no idea that they have to book their restaurants and rides well in advance. I doubt there is anyone on disboards that does not know that.

My point is you can't assume that September will be busy based on people from this site. Also you are going in September and so you are paying more attention to people going in September. Also people who are going in September are getting in their question now as they plan for September.

There still seems to be room available for a discount at many hotels...maybe not the cheapest rooms.. but there is availability for the most part..and not so much in October\November.

FWIW - It is highly unlikely it will be as bad as Christmas, New Years..other peek times etc....so that is a big plus - there is nothing worse than not being able to even walk through the MK because it is so packed.

Perfectly said! Those of us on this board make up a small percentage of guests who will be visiting at the time! I believe many here do discuss September because of the popularity of FD and because so many are "in the know" if you will of planning ADRs and being Disney gurus!

We have gone in September the past few years and agree that it gets more crowded each time. But it's rather odd because when I read these boards upon returning I see comments from others about how they felt the crowds were low, and that they never waited more than 20 minutes for any attraction. (Excluding mine train, of course). I always feel that, even though we follow the crowd calendars, we must always end up in the wrong park at the wrong time!

I looked at fast passes for Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend and it seems like everything is available, except fea. And most rides have early availability as well. Hoping this may indicate lower crowds, but not sure if that availability means anything. We are arriving on Monday, and, as others have said, we'll be at Disney so no real worries. Just happy to be going! Safe trip to all!

The last two years we went mid to late September. I wouldn't describe it as low crowds. Last year was truly awful. This year we are going in August because I really don't think the crowds could be worse. We leave in a month and I can still move around almost all my ADRs. That hasn't happened for any of our September trips.

I suspect we will see the perceived lower attendance continue - there is a lot going in the world that will have an effect on attendance IMO. No point in going into that.

In the end Disboards is a very small sample of the general population of people who go to Disney. Yes we know September\Oct is the "slower" time - but do the other 80-90% of the people going to Disney know that?

In my experience there are still loads of people that go to Disney and really have no idea that they have to book their restaurants and rides well in advance. I doubt there is anyone on disboards that does not know that.

My point is you can't assume that September will be busy based on people from this site. Also you are going in September and so you are paying more attention to people going in September. Also people who are going in September are getting in their question now as they plan for September.

There still seems to be room available for a discount at many hotels...maybe not the cheapest rooms.. but there is availability for the most part..and not so much in October\November.

FWIW - It is highly unlikely it will be as bad as Christmas, New Years..other peek times etc....so that is a big plus - there is nothing worse than not being able to even walk through the MK because it is so packed.

I hope that is true, but I am expecting large crowds so I am not disappointed.

Have you seen room availability? I just checked and discount rates and availability for resorts is kind of abysmal for the last week of September. Resort rates were quite a bit cheaper for July, there was a 35% discount as opposed to the 25% discount for September, and there was more availability for July, too. Most moderates have no discounts for the last week of September.

We went the first week of October in 2012 and it was amazing. Such low crowds. The last three years we have been quite disappointed in crowds during the Sept/Oct free dining period.

I realize that there are reasons to suspect that the recent drop in attendance at WDW will continue through the fall, but looking at online room and dining availability makes it seem as if crowds are going to pick up from July.

Crowds won't be like Christmas or Spring break, but I think people who go the last couple of weeks of September expecting low crowds may be disappointed.

I hope that is true, but I am expecting large crowds so I am not disappointed.

Have you seen room availability? I just checked and discount rates and availability for resorts is kind of abysmal for the last week of September. Resort rates were quite a bit cheaper for July, there was a 35% discount as opposed to the 25% discount for September, and there was more availability for July, too. Most moderates have no discounts for the last week of September.

We went the first week of October in 2012 and it was amazing. Such low crowds. The last three years we have been quite disappointed in crowds during the Sept/Oct free dining period.

I realize that there are reasons to suspect that the recent drop in attendance at WDW will continue through the fall, but looking at online room and dining availability makes it seem as if crowds are going to pick up from July.

Crowds won't be like Christmas or Spring break, but I think people who go the last couple of weeks of September expecting low crowds may be disappointed.
don't know your exact dates - but i just rechecked the 23-29th and there are a fair number of rooms for the back to school rate. mods $169-$200 - not all but several
Adding the 30th changes things a little bit - but there are values and moderates and discounted rate rooms.
25th to the 1st also looks good as far as rooms are concerned - POFQ for 169 - CBR 202 etc...All stars for 93. (BTW - this shows at 111 until I clicked on it - so maybe the Disney system is acting flakey)

I always go in late oct and early nov - always been told that in fall there are less rooms available because the do close of rooms so the staff can take off time before the holiday rush - I have no idea if that is true - but its something to keep in mind as well as far as room availability - but I often see no availability at those mods until 30 days out - and then there is - and its usually not too crazy in the parks - but that's my experience and really this is all just speculation.

Will be interesting to see what is available in September come mid august when the 30 day window hits.

The last two years we went mid to late September. I wouldn't describe it as low crowds. Last year was truly awful. This year we are going in August because I really don't think the crowds could be worse. We leave in a month and I can still move around almost all my ADRs. That hasn't happened for any of our September trips.

Last year was a fluke. There was a hurricane heading for FL at the end of Aug. Once they declared a state of emergency, tons of people cancelled and postponed their trips to beginning of Sept. We spoke to many CM's and they all told us this.

here is a link to all Metro Atlanta school Calendars. There are other surrounding counties that aren't on the link. Most of them have the last week in Sept or first or second week in Oct.

http://www.flipmall.net/publishers/160520/school_calendars_for_2016-17/html5forwebkit.html?page=0

The best way to gage the crowds in Sept. is the crowds increase as the weeks go on. First week. 1-3 on the crowd calendar to 6-8 for the last week, based on my observation. Plus the later it gets in September, the more willing parents that have kids in school will allow them to miss school.

We are going Mid September and I have been able to rearrange our ADRs and FP+ fairly often. Be Our Guest has been the most difficult one to change, and that includes some PPO @ Akershus/CRT.

FP+ has been fairly wide open except for FEA. Soarin, TT, 7DMT still have a wide range of availability the whole week we are there including 11am times.

What sight are you using to check FP+? Thanks in advance!

Our wedding anniversary is early Spet, so we go fairly often during that time. This year we are going from 9/8-9/14 to celebrate our 20th and I have absolutely no concerns about crowds. It will be great. Granted, we are leaving right when F&W starts, so that will help. :) We hope to go to the soft opening on our last day. So excited!

Im getting ready to book our Universal trip with a plan to book MNSSHP for sept 11. I know it will still be hot. I'm hoping it's not too crowded.
Oh my family of 5 is hitting Universal Sept 11thru 17. Going to the MNSSHP on the 13th:dancer:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter