Serenity Bay Is Now Less Serene...

That's too bad. I really enjoyed a longer open water swim workout during my time at SB. We'll be heading out on the Magic next week so I'll be anxious to see what happens. I've already packed my swim cap and goggles! I'll report back.
Looking forward to your report. DH will be upset if he can't snorkel in deep water like he has done in the past off SB. He is dive certified so staying in sterile water is not much fun for him.

Perhaps these new restrictions is why there is a new "sandbar excursion" that you can pay for.
This is truly disappointing. I love that sandbar, I love the low key, lazy atmosphere, I love the no frills, just you the water and a beach chair solitude. I love that it's a natural setting with all kinds of sea life swimming around you. Yes, even the barracudas! Serenity Bay is supposed to be different than the family beaches, or at least that is what has been marketed to the consumer. I will be there next month and I truly hope that it returns to the serenity bay that so many people have come to love.
...too many changes in such a short period of time to the "adult" experience that made me fall in love with DCL. Most of the other changes wouldn't noticeably affect my vacation, but Serenity Bay changes will. Seems like the changes being made will make the child/family experience better, (which is awesome) but makes the adult experience nothing special. It's sad to see something you truly adore change into something so different.

:(. This makes me sad. We're headed back in Feb and that sand bar was the best part of our last cruise.

Perhaps these new restrictions is why there is a new "sandbar excursion" that you can pay for.
This is truly disappointing. I love that sandbar, I love the low key, lazy atmosphere, I love the no frills, just you the water and a beach chair solitude. I love that it's a natural setting with all kinds of sea life swimming around you. Yes, even the barracudas! Serenity Bay is supposed to be different than the family beaches, or at least that is what has been marketed to the consumer. I will be there next month and I truly hope that it returns to the serenity bay that so many people have come to love.
...too many changes in such a short period of time to the "adult" experience that made me fall in love with DCL. Most of the other changes wouldn't noticeably affect my vacation, but Serenity Bay changes will. Seems like the changes being made will make the child/family experience better, (which is awesome) but makes the adult experience nothing special. It's sad to see something you truly adore change into something so different.
Is the Sandbar excursion new? I just looked it up - ages 8-80. So, if indeed that's the sandbar they are using, there's more non-adult probability in close proximity to Serenity Bay.

I doubt they are having a excursion to the adult beach sandbar. Years ago we took a jet ski tour that took us to different one.

Hate to say it, but one more step in reducing what made Disney cruises so great.

If they made everyone wear life jackets to even step into the water there would be plenty of defenders who would say it is fine, they only have our safety in mind. I understand some can rationalize everything they've done, but it does seem to keep coming.

I don't know if the Serenity Bay sand bar is the one the excursion goes to or not. I also doubt it is because the beach is still 18 and over. I also don't know when this excursion became an option but I don't remember it being available on any other cruise I've been on. Everything in life changes and evolves even DCL. And yes, the option to move on to something else or accept and adjust to the changes is available. I'm not angry or complaining about the changes, they are what they are. I'm just saying it's kind of sad to see something that was once extraordinary change into something ordinary.

I don't know if the Serenity Bay sand bar is the one the excursion goes to or not. I also doubt it is because the beach is still 18 and over. I also don't know when this excursion became an option but I don't remember it being available on any other cruise I've been on. Everything in life changes and evolves even DCL. And yes, the option to move on to something else or accept and adjust to the changes is available. I'm not angry or complaining about the changes, they are what they are. I'm just saying it's kind of sad to see something that was once extraordinary change into something ordinary.
Well said.

We have been cruising with Disney since 2000. I don't remember what year it was but as I said earlier, we did take a jet ski tour and one stop was a sand bar. I'm thinking 2006ish.

I'll be on my first ever DCL cruise in about a week on the Dream, and hearing all these changes really makes me worry about how our SB experience will go... We've been really looking forward to that!

I'll be on my first ever DCL cruise in about a week on the Dream, and hearing all these changes really makes me worry about how our SB experience will go... We've been really looking forward to that!

Please don't let this conversation discourage you! In the big scheme of things, theses changes are relatively small. Serenity Bay is still going to be an incredible place to experience! Unfortunately for new cruisers reading these boards, it can sometimes be troubling. Remember that messages like these are all opinion and the truth is, you can't miss what you never had. I guarantee that you will love Serenity Bay! When I booked my first cruise on the Dream in her inaugural year I came here to learn as much as I could about DCL. Most of the reports were not favorable because they were comparing their Dream experience to what they had come to love in the classic ships. Since I had never experienced any DCL before, I got worried until I decided to sort fact from opinion while I was gathering information. That would be my advice to you. Sort fact from opinion. Turns out that most of what people complained about the Dream, is what I loved about the Dream! I've since been on the classic ships, and I really like them. But I LOVE the Dream and Fantasy! Don't let any of us take away from the awesome experience you are going to have on your cruise.........and I am confident you are going to to have an awesome experience! :)

Long gone are the days before there even was a sandbar there. When we started cruising on Disney back in 2006, Serenity bay was "barless" and the snorkeling there was great. Way out in the area that is now roped off there were several areas where Disney had sunk some "props" to make an artificial habitat for fish, and the vegetation on the sea floor hid a myriad of sea creatures that are no longer there (including black sea urchins, sand dollars, and all kinds of star fish). On one trip, we found at least a dozen different varieties of starfish. When we were there this May, all of the vegetation was gone, half of the bay was out of the water because of the sandbar, and there were virtually no fish. :(

Long gone are the days before there even was a sandbar there. When we started cruising on Disney back in 2006, Serenity bay was "barless" and the snorkeling there was great. Way out in the area that is now roped off there were several areas where Disney had sunk some "props" to make an artificial habitat for fish, and the vegetation on the sea floor hid a myriad of sea creatures that are no longer there (including black sea urchins, sand dollars, and all kinds of star fish). On one trip, we found at least a dozen different varieties of starfish. When we were there this May, all of the vegetation was gone, half of the bay was out of the water because of the sandbar, and there were virtually no fish. :(

I never experienced that but I still fell in love with Serenity Bay for what it was when i fist experienced it in 2011. New cruisers will find things to love about it no matter what changes have been made. :)

Last edited:
We were at SB two days ago and the water was a lot deeper than our last few visits during this time of year (Oct. 2014, Oct. 2013). The new buoys and lifeguard were in place and the jet skis were parked by Castaway Air Bar (but we never saw them used while we were there, 12PM-3:30PM). While we didn't see anyone try to venture out to the sandbar, it never appeared above the water line while we were there - again the water was quite deep. Other passengers were enjoying their usual swim-snorkel-float no different than our other 12 visits to SB and no comments from the 3 lifeguards that we heard while we were there. It was another fantastic day at SB!!

I seem to remember reading about a shark siting at SB not too long ago. The lifeguards were using the jet skis to patrol and keep the shark away. Could this be related?

Hopefully this was just a fluke of a day and the lifeguards aren't usually having to corral guests frequently.

The Serenity Bay death was eventually classified as sudden and due to a heath issue. The incident at the Family Beach, where the man snorkeling was caught up on the rope surrounding the area and was airlifted to Miami, is more likely the driving force behind the lifeguard changes.

Lots of good posts on the Dis Boards, but there is also a lot of whining and complaining like this thread.. enjoy your cruise and don't worry.

iambasicalyanna, DO NOT LET THIS THREAD upset you. Just like with TA, take it with a grain of salt. Go with the attitude that you had when you first booked. Don't look for anything negative. That's when you will be disappointed. Serenity Bay will be fabulous and you will have a great time. We have yet to be let down with DCL. (well, other than the fiasco on the Dream MV and the merchandise, hahahaha)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter