• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~~SEWING my way to POFQ ~ American Girl outfits & Custom Park Bags! ~~~

So, outfit #52 is rather simple... because sometimes I feel like simple is better. This pattern has become my "go to" pattern - especially when I am appliqueing... I love that the canvas is large enough that I can put a fairly large applique on it (relatively speaking, of course), but it doesn't detract from the dress.

Oh - and not to fear - there will be hair accessories to match... I put my oldest dd in charge of those for this dress - and she ran off to play at the park - so hopefully she'll get to it later?? :confused3

Anyways...

IMG_a1860.jpg

D~

Oooh - I am heading over to your PTR right now!!!

Thanks Lisa for all the compliments - really - it's one thing for someone to admire the pictures I post, and it's a whole 'nother realm when people not only buy your outfits - but they are so happy with them that they keep buying them... DH will come home from work today and wonder why I am so happy with myself... :banana: LOL

OK - off to post my #52 outfit...

D~

:goodvibes I don't know how anyone couldn't love your work, the details you add on something so small is :worship:
happy we could give you a happy day....paybacks for the happy days you give Megan!

love Mickey, very cute!

SUBBING! :goodvibes I LOVE the Disboutique thread! I wish, wish, WISH I could sew all the wonderful things I've seen on there! That thread is the only reason I'm saving for a sewing machine! :laughing: Cant wait to read about your plans! Good luck!

You know I'm in!!!! We had a yard sale this morning or I would have been here sooner!

All of the money we raised is going in our Disney pot (well, except for what it will cost me to join the local gym for 6 months - because I have GOT to get back in shape and lose the baby weight - never you mind that the baby in question happens to be 3yrs and 2 months old:rolleyes1 ) . . .

And seriously, every time I hear a little more of how and WHEN you started sewing, well, I'm just more and more impressed!!! But I have to thank you for your whole philosophy of there's always more fabric and if it gets ruined, it's okay . . . because it has definitely saved me time and again!!!

Can't wait to hear all your plans!!!! Just wish we were going to be there at the same time!!!

:goodvibes I don't know how anyone couldn't love your work, the details you add on something so small is :worship:
happy we could give you a happy day....paybacks for the happy days you give Megan!

love Mickey, very cute!

Thank you. :)

SUBBING! :goodvibes I LOVE the Disboutique thread! I wish, wish, WISH I could sew all the wonderful things I've seen on there! That thread is the only reason I'm saving for a sewing machine! :laughing: Cant wait to read about your plans! Good luck!

Ahhh... but that's the point to the story - you CAN sew wonderful things - it just takes time and lots of patience. :lovestruc Welcome to my PTR. :wizard:

You know I'm in!!!! We had a yard sale this morning or I would have been here sooner!

So, how'd you do??? Inquiring minds want to know.

All of the money we raised is going in our Disney pot (well, except for what it will cost me to join the local gym for 6 months - because I have GOT to get back in shape and lose the baby weight - never you mind that the baby in question happens to be 3yrs and 2 months old:rolleyes1 ) . . .

Ahh - no sweat - I'm still working on my baby weight from 12 years + 3 months ago... :rolleyes1 I KWYM though - I need to get to work... I can lose it just fine - I just can't keep it off. I've only done WW about 300 times successfully.

And seriously, every time I hear a little more of how and WHEN you started sewing, well, I'm just more and more impressed!!! But I have to thank you for your whole philosophy of there's always more fabric and if it gets ruined, it's okay . . . because it has definitely saved me time and again!!!

Yah - I like my philosophy... It's allowed me to create, and really not care if I wreck something. :rolleyes1

Can't wait to hear all your plans!!!! Just wish we were going to be there at the same time!!!

It would be fun to be there at the same time... Maybe you should reschedule your trip? ROFL. :rotfl2: Or you could have another garage sale, and I could make another 52 outfits and we could meet up... :thumbsup2

D~

So, how'd you do??? Inquiring minds want to know.
We made somewhere around $250 and the boys made $75 selling Lemonade For Savannah (all of their lemonade proceeds will go to the Energy For Life Walk for the UMDF and Team Saving Savannah). I have a huge bin of toys to take to Finn's preschool next week and I gave our babysitter a bunch of baby blankets & hooded towels for her cousin who is fostering a newborn. Still didn't sell my fantastic crib though :confused3

Ahh - no sweat - I'm still working on my baby weight from 12 years + 3 months ago... :rolleyes1 I KWYM though - I need to get to work... I can lose it just fine - I just can't keep it off. I've only done WW about 300 times successfully.
I made enough to join the gym - now I just have to get my friend to go with me so I can get her fabulous deal! I am SO not good with diets . . . but I've been a pretty lazy bum the last few years, so I'm hoping with regular exercise I can lose the weight or at least tone it all so it doesn't bother me :rotfl2:

Yah - I like my philosophy... It's allowed me to create, and really not care if I wreck something. :rolleyes1
I :lovestruc it too!!!

It would be fun to be there at the same time... Maybe you should reschedule your trip? ROFL. :rotfl2: Or you could have another garage sale, and I could make another 52 outfits and we could meet up... :thumbsup2

D~

I think we should all save up and have a Disboutiquers "Solo" trip (just Disboutiquers, not families) :cool1::cool1::cool1: How much fun would THAT be? I would totally organize excursions to fabulous fabric stores around the greater Disney area as part of our trip too . . . :cool1::cool1::cool1: Of course, we do still have your "Cruise Clause" right???;)

Oh my goodness what a wonderful story of your sewing journey. I love love love the outfits. My youngest DD just got her first AG doll for her birthday this week. I am sending you a pm :)

We made somewhere around $250 and the boys made $75 selling Lemonade For Savannah (all of their lemonade proceeds will go to the Energy For Life Walk for the UMDF and Team Saving Savannah). I have a huge bin of toys to take to Finn's preschool next week and I gave our babysitter a bunch of baby blankets & hooded towels for her cousin who is fostering a newborn. Still didn't sell my fantastic crib though :confused3

That is awesome that you were able to make enough to cover all the things you wanted to do. Great job that the boys were able to donate so much to TSS!!! You should be so proud of them! :lovestruc

I made enough to join the gym - now I just have to get my friend to go with me so I can get her fabulous deal! I am SO not good with diets . . . but I've been a pretty lazy bum the last few years, so I'm hoping with regular exercise I can lose the weight or at least tone it all so it doesn't bother me :rotfl2:

I know the feeling... I am at my highest weight ever and it really sucks... :surfweb: The part that sucks the worst is that my favorite hobby doesn't exactly get my heart rate up... Why couldn't I have chosen running or something? :confused3

I think we should all save up and have a Disboutiquers "Solo" trip (just Disboutiquers, not families) :cool1::cool1::cool1: How much fun would THAT be? I would totally organize excursions to fabulous fabric stores around the greater Disney area as part of our trip too . . . :cool1::cool1::cool1: Of course, we do still have your "Cruise Clause" right???;)

That would be fun... ahhh - the "cruise clause"... yes, I vaguley remember something about that. But how in the world am I going to get Patience on a flight - she is deathly afraid of heights.

D~

First I had to :drive: until I got to a bridge that was out, but undaunted I :boat: across the raging river rapids to the first rental car company I saw. I kept :car: in the dark until I landed in lake number 2,789 of 10,000. Then I had to :sail: and :sail: and :sail: until I got to dry land when I took off at break neck speed :snail: which is how I got here so quickly :teleport:

So :wave2: I can't wait to follow along. popcorn:: (Popcorn's free, right?)

So, outfit #52 is rather simple... because sometimes I feel like simple is better. This pattern has become my "go to" pattern - especially when I am appliqueing... I love that the canvas is large enough that I can put a fairly large applique on it (relatively speaking, of course), but it doesn't detract from the dress.

Oh - and not to fear - there will be hair accessories to match... I put my oldest dd in charge of those for this dress - and she ran off to play at the park - so hopefully she'll get to it later?? :confused3

Anyways...

IMG_a1860.jpg

D~

Hooray for dots and Mickey -- my favorite combination. What a terrific start to your "52 until I'm through" campaign. After you introduced us to the pattern I made one and have three more in mind, one for work, one for play, and one for a rainy day.

You've reminded me what a nice pattern it is so maybe I'll get back to it.

That would be fun -- especially if it doesn't interfere with the cruise. Maybe if D~ makes 53 outfits there would be enough for us all to do the cruise. :dance3:

That would be fun... ahhh - the "cruise clause"... yes, I vaguley remember something about that. But how in the world am I going to get Patience on a flight - she is deathly afraid of heights.

D~

I could send Rod to pick her up on his bike. (His real name is Pretzel, but he's skinny so everyne calls him Rod.) She has to come.

Oh my goodness what a wonderful story of your sewing journey. I love love love the outfits. My youngest DD just got her first AG doll for her birthday this week. I am sending you a pm :)

Welcome! :lovestruc I am so glad you found my PTR! And I am glad you enjoyed my sewing story - it's a bit long - and that the condensed version. :cool1: So, which doll did your dd get?

First I had to :drive: until I got to a bridge that was out, but undaunted I :boat: across the raging river rapids to the first rental car company I saw. I kept :car: in the dark until I landed in lake number 2,789 of 10,000. Then I had to :sail: and :sail: and :sail: until I got to dry land when I took off at break neck speed :snail: which is how I got here so quickly :teleport:

CHERYL!!!!! I can't believe you went through all that trouble to find me! I thought that was you canoeing across the lake this afternoon - I thought about taking the boat out to rescue you, after you dropped an oar - but alas... once you jumped in, wearing that white t-shirt, you were on your own girly. :rolleyes1

So :wave2: I can't wait to follow along. popcorn:: (Popcorn's free, right?)

Yes, everything is free at my house - except the bathroom - $1 (cash) every time you enter... Sometime I run a bogo - but not usually during sleepovers.

Hooray for dots and Mickey -- my favorite combination. What a terrific start to your "52 until I'm through" campaign. After you introduced us to the pattern I made one and have three more in mind, one for work, one for play, and one for a rainy day.

You've reminded me what a nice pattern it is so maybe I'll get back to it.

Yes, that is one of my favorite patterns - such classic lines. I've also heard that you can make them from matress pad covers... :wizard:

That would be fun -- especially if it doesn't interfere with the cruise. Maybe if D~ makes 53 outfits there would be enough for us all to do the cruise. :dance3:

Maybe... Can I just create my first 53 outfits first??

I could sent Rod to pick her up on his bike. (His real name if Pretzel, but he's skinny so everyne calls him Rod.) She has to come.

Rod is hysterical - seriously! :lmao: You better watch him with Ginger though - she can sometimes be a bad influence. :confused3

OK - so back to the topic at hand...

I managed to finish another outfit today - and I am super excited about it, because it turned out really cute! You know how sometimes you imagine something and it's really cute, then you make it and it's really not so cute... but once in a while, when you do make it, it actually turns out cute... well, this dress turned out cute. :banana:

Did I over use the word "cute" in the above paragraph? :confused3

I will be posting #51 sometime tomorrow... and hopefully #50 - as I got a good start on that one after dinner. :lovestruc

D~

Hooray! for cute outfits! Hooray for Cheryl going to such lengths to find you here! Hooray! I remembered what I needed to ask you about from Page 1!!!

Your dog . . . He isn't by chance a Rhodesian Ridgeback, is he? He looks like my childhood dog, Johari, who was the most mild mannered Ridgeback you'd ever meet - but lordy! were delivery people afraid of him! :rotfl2: wouldn't hurt a fly, but he looked fierce!

Hi! Wow, I am so impressed. I wish I could do that. I am still just an advanced beginner/intermediate sewer and can do basics but applique is something I have only done in iron on so far. Your dresses are simply adorable! I could see a real little girl in them and be as adorable as the dolls. Soooo cute!

Cheryl looks like you took quite the journey :rotfl:
you'd better warn Rod....Ginger might chew him up and spit him out :lmao:

D~ can't wait to see #51 and #50 so happy you give out free popcorn:: but guess I'd better limit my :drinking1 a $1.00 is pretty steep :lmao:

Hooray! for cute outfits! Hooray for Cheryl going to such lengths to find you here! Hooray! I remembered what I needed to ask you about from Page 1!!!

Your dog . . . He isn't by chance a Rhodesian Ridgeback, is he? He looks like my childhood dog, Johari, who was the most mild mannered Ridgeback you'd ever meet - but lordy! were delivery people afraid of him! :rotfl2: wouldn't hurt a fly, but he looked fierce!

Nope Ruf isn't a Ridgeback... the reason I know this is that my next door neighbor and very super-duper good friend has a RR, and her Keyka is a horse next to Ruf. Ruf is actually a 95% Yellow lab and 5% Pit bull - I hate telling people that because then they automatically think he's a bad dog... but you'd never know it in his temperment, you can only notice it if he holds his ears a certain way. He has been in our family for 11 years, and he is truly my 3rd child. :lovestruc

Hi! Wow, I am so impressed. I wish I could do that. I am still just an advanced beginner/intermediate sewer and can do basics but applique is something I have only done in iron on so far. Your dresses are simply adorable! I could see a real little girl in them and be as adorable as the dolls. Soooo cute!

Thank you. :) Welcome to my PTR!

Cheryl looks like you took quite the journey :rotfl:
you'd better warn Rod....Ginger might chew him up and spit him out :lmao:

D~ can't wait to see #51 and #50 so happy you give out free popcorn:: but guess I'd better limit my :drinking1 a $1.00 is pretty steep :lmao:

Sorry Lisa, I had to raise the rates after we came home from our trip this spring... I had to recoup my costs for the bathrooms over there - 2 girls + bottle of water = lots of Euros for bathrooms - figured it was only fair to share the love. :lovestruc Not to worry - it's on the honor system... just plunk some change into the jar on your way by. :wizard:

D~

Sorry Lisa, I had to raise the rates after we came home from our trip this spring... I had to recoup my costs for the bathrooms over there - 2 girls + bottle of water = lots of Euros for bathrooms - figured it was only fair to share the love. :lovestruc Not to worry - it's on the honor system... just plunk some change into the jar on your way by. :wizard:

D~

thanks for the info on European bathrooms...will make sure I budget that in for our trip when Megan graduates from high school...lets see 7 years, yep think I will have it covered :rotfl:
no worries, I always pay my fair share :)

How exciting to plan a trip with your girls! I have stayed at POFQ twice-once in building 4-very convenient and once in building 7 and even though it was one of the more remote rooms it really wasn't bad. I like that POFQ has more straight paths. We stayed at POR once and those curvy paths had me lost nearly the entire trip.:laughing:

Can't believe you've only been sewing a few months. I have no doubt you'll be making & selling your 52 outfits. Can't wait to see them all.

Anyways...

IMG_a1860.jpg

D~
Perfect! I love the simplicity of it. Mickey looks wonderful! What pattern is that?

Forgot to quote everyone...but......

Love the latest dress!

And Marianne, if you look at page one in Disbout you will see that Teresa has D quoted there, permanently, until we all get our free trip :)

Wonder if she made rule #13 that we all must make ourselves mattress pad dresses???

Ugh -- must go grocery shopping now -- not nearly as appealing as going to a fabric store.:mad:

thanks for the info on European bathrooms...will make sure I budget that in for our trip when Megan graduates from high school...lets see 7 years, yep think I will have it covered :rotfl:
no worries, I always pay my fair share :)

Yes, I would put it in the budget... Most bathrooms are 50 Euro-cents, which is about $.80 cents (or it was when we went - I haven't looked at the exchange rate lately). It did add up, especially with two girls. Honestly - that wasn't the worst part thought - finding the bathrooms was more of an issue - there's not one in every store, or around every corner like here. All of these cities were built long before bathrooms, so most times their bathrooms are tucked in a far off corner in the tipppy-top of the building or the back corner of a yucky basement. We learned very quickly, if we saw a bathroom - and there was an inkling of needed to go - we went. Also, I don't want to mislead you - just because the bathrooms were in a far off corner, doesn't mean that they were dirty - most bathrooms had an attendant sitting outside, and the second you stepped out, they'd go in and wipe down the toilet, clean it up, check the paper... Super, duper clean. Honestly, after some of the things I've seen in American bathrooms - I'd gladly pay for the bathroom, if someone came in ahead of me and cleaned it each time. :wizard:

I hope you enjoyed your European bathroom lesson for the day. :banana:

How exciting to plan a trip with your girls! I have stayed at POFQ twice-once in building 4-very convenient and once in building 7 and even though it was one of the more remote rooms it really wasn't bad. I like that POFQ has more straight paths. We stayed at POR once and those curvy paths had me lost nearly the entire trip.:laughing:

I have heard that POFQ is set up in such a way that nothing is really very far. I am just a little nervous that I didin't pay for a view, from everything I've read - there really isn't a horrible view... even if you have a parking lot outside your window - there's still enough landscaping inbetween that it's OK. I think I am going to Google Earth it later today - then I'll decide on room requests. LOL :lovestruc

Can't believe you've only been sewing a few months. I have no doubt you'll be making & selling your 52 outfits. Can't wait to see them all.

Yes, it's pretty strange, isn't it? I just keep stumbling along, and learning as I go... If there's a technique I want to learn, I just google it (I love google), and find a tutorial I can understand... then away I go. :wizard: I am still trying to learn my bias tape foot... no matter how many times I try, it still doesn't like me. :confused3

Perfect! I love the simplicity of it. Mickey looks wonderful! What pattern is that?

Thank you... I agree, sometimes I just like simple.... there's nothing wrong with it, and if you do it right, it can be just as cute as something with tons of ruffles and poof.

Speaking of which - I need an AG tulle underskirt for my latest dress... I might have to go find a tut for that.

Oh and the pattern is Oliver + S's Popover sundress pattern... it's available on their website as a free download for girls and dolls - super cute, super easy, and super in my budget. :lovestruc

Forgot to quote everyone...but......

Love the latest dress!

Thanks Andrea. :lovestruc

And Marianne, if you look at page one in Disbout you will see that Teresa has D quoted there, permanently, until we all get our free trip :)

That must be why I am so "famous"... Are you all using me for the free cruise?

Wonder if she made rule #13 that we all must make ourselves mattress pad dresses???

I am not sure, but I think that will be the last Project Runway... I thought I heard a little somethin' like that... you should probably start early to get a jump on it. :rotfl2:

Ugh -- must go grocery shopping now -- not nearly as appealing as going to a fabric store.:mad:

That's no fun. I just told my family that I can't grocery shop anymore.... have to save all our $$ for Disney... that didn't go over well. Oh well, gives me an excuse to drive my car, I guess. :lovestruc I need to get some fabric too... I am so cheap, I think I will do it while my car is in the shop on Tuesday and I have a loaner car... ROFL - put the miles on that instead of mine.

Well, the game plan for today is to finish up the outfit I started last night... It has a very tiny applique on it - which may take me all day - since it's so tiny and detailed. Hopefully not though.

I also plan to post pictures of outfit #51 at some point... I really love how it turned out - but I think I've said that before. :lovestruc

D~

Anyways...

IMG_a1860.jpg

D~
That is so cuuuute! I am sure it will sell in no time at all!

Try craigslist for your crib. I always have better luck with larger things on there!

Yes, I would put it in the budget... Most bathrooms are 50 Euro-cents, which is about $.80 cents (or it was when we went - I haven't looked at the exchange rate lately). It did add up, especially with two girls. Honestly - that wasn't the worst part thought - finding the bathrooms was more of an issue - there's not one in every store, or around every corner like here. All of these cities were built long before bathrooms, so most times their bathrooms are tucked in a far off corner in the tipppy-top of the building or the back corner of a yucky basement. We learned very quickly, if we saw a bathroom - and there was an inkling of needed to go - we went. Also, I don't want to mislead you - just because the bathrooms were in a far off corner, doesn't mean that they were dirty - most bathrooms had an attendant sitting outside, and the second you stepped out, they'd go in and wipe down the toilet, clean it up, check the paper... Super, duper clean. Honestly, after some of the things I've seen in American bathrooms - I'd gladly pay for the bathroom, if someone came in ahead of me and cleaned it each time. :wizard:

Yes, it's pretty strange, isn't it? I just keep stumbling along, and learning as I go... If there's a technique I want to learn, I just google it (I love google), and find a tutorial I can understand... then away I go. :wizard: I am still trying to learn my bias tape foot... no matter how many times I try, it still doesn't like me. :confused3

I also plan to post pictures of outfit #51 at some point... I really love how it turned out - but I think I've said that before. :lovestruc

D~
Interesting about the bathrooms in Europe. When DH and I went to Egypt, there was always an attendant in the bathroom, making sure it was spotless. She would hand you your towel and open the door for you. We were expected to give a tip, which was about the equivalent of 10 or 20 cents in US dollars. It was worth it to have a clean bathroom wherever we went. However, talk about bathrooms being few and far between! If I saw a bathroom, I made sure I used it!

When I need to learn something new for sewing, I always go to youtube first. The videos always make so much more sense to me than just reading the directions. I guess I am a very visual learner.

I can't wait to see outfit #51! Which character will it be based on????

Really enjoying your PTR journey of Outfitting to Disney...Mickey Mouse looks absolutely flawless....it amazes me that you do that by hand. Can't wait to see the next outfits to come along.

I had no idea about the pay bathrooms overseas. The only time I've ever paid was when one year me and a group of friends went to Mardi Gras. They had a lock on the door and you put 25cents in and it opened. Of course, they were NASTY tho. And I would never do Mardi Gras again... that was a really awful experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter