• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~~SEWING my way to POFQ ~ American Girl outfits & Custom Park Bags! ~~~

Mickey looks great. Gotta follow along, looks like it will be a fun ride.

So, outfit #52 is rather simple... because sometimes I feel like simple is better. This pattern has become my "go to" pattern - especially when I am appliqueing... I love that the canvas is large enough that I can put a fairly large applique on it (relatively speaking, of course), but it doesn't detract from the dress.

Oh - and not to fear - there will be hair accessories to match... I put my oldest dd in charge of those for this dress - and she ran off to play at the park - so hopefully she'll get to it later?? :confused3

Anyways...

IMG_a1860.jpg

D~

Yes, I would put it in the budget... Most bathrooms are 50 Euro-cents, which is about $.80 cents (or it was when we went - I haven't looked at the exchange rate lately). It did add up, especially with two girls. Honestly - that wasn't the worst part thought - finding the bathrooms was more of an issue - there's not one in every store, or around every corner like here. All of these cities were built long before bathrooms, so most times their bathrooms are tucked in a far off corner in the tipppy-top of the building or the back corner of a yucky basement. We learned very quickly, if we saw a bathroom - and there was an inkling of needed to go - we went. Also, I don't want to mislead you - just because the bathrooms were in a far off corner, doesn't mean that they were dirty - most bathrooms had an attendant sitting outside, and the second you stepped out, they'd go in and wipe down the toilet, clean it up, check the paper... Super, duper clean. Honestly, after some of the things I've seen in American bathrooms - I'd gladly pay for the bathroom, if someone came in ahead of me and cleaned it each time. :wizard:

I hope you enjoyed your European bathroom lesson for the day. :banana:

I have heard that POFQ is set up in such a way that nothing is really very far. I am just a little nervous that I didin't pay for a view, from everything I've read - there really isn't a horrible view... even if you have a parking lot outside your window - there's still enough landscaping inbetween that it's OK. I think I am going to Google Earth it later today - then I'll decide on room requests. LOL :lovestruc

That's no fun. I just told my family that I can't grocery shop anymore.... have to save all our $$ for Disney... that didn't go over well. Oh well, gives me an excuse to drive my car, I guess. :lovestruc I need to get some fabric too... I am so cheap, I think I will do it while my car is in the shop on Tuesday and I have a loaner car... ROFL - put the miles on that instead of mine.

I also plan to post pictures of outfit #51 at some point... I really love how it turned out - but I think I've said that before. :lovestruc

D~

hey, where's the next outfit.....waiting...

thanks for the bathroom lesson....it is great they clean the bathrooms everytime, well worth the tip! we always use a bathroom when we see one!

how dare you family put eating above your sewing :confused3 don't they know your priorities :rotfl:

I need to start looking at POFQ too for what bldg I want...we are at 39 days :banana:

That is so cuuuute! I am sure it will sell in no time at all!

Interesting about the bathrooms in Europe. When DH and I went to Egypt, there was always an attendant in the bathroom, making sure it was spotless. She would hand you your towel and open the door for you. We were expected to give a tip, which was about the equivalent of 10 or 20 cents in US dollars. It was worth it to have a clean bathroom wherever we went. However, talk about bathrooms being few and far between! If I saw a bathroom, I made sure I used it!

When I need to learn something new for sewing, I always go to youtube first. The videos always make so much more sense to me than just reading the directions. I guess I am a very visual learner.

I can't wait to see outfit #51! Which character will it be based on????

Excellent idea about youtube... Sometimes I wander over there, but I've never used it as my first course of action. However, it was immensely helpful to me when I purchased my serger - couldn't have learned that one with out youtube.

Hate to be repetitive - but this next one is based on Mickey too... although - it's wayyy different. I am thinking of turning this one into another fab 5 series - so I will show it on here, but I probably won't release it for sale until I've completed the other 4. Yet again - way too many ideas bumping around in my head. :scared1:

Really enjoying your PTR journey of Outfitting to Disney...Mickey Mouse looks absolutely flawless....it amazes me that you do that by hand. Can't wait to see the next outfits to come along.

Thank you! You always give me the nicest compliments - that's probably why I like you so much. :thumbsup2

I had no idea about the pay bathrooms overseas. The only time I've ever paid was when one year me and a group of friends went to Mardi Gras. They had a lock on the door and you put 25cents in and it opened. Of course, they were NASTY tho. And I would never do Mardi Gras again... that was a really awful experience.

I've heard horror stories about Mardi Gras... exactly the reason I chose to do it Disney style... I prefer G rated excursions. Dh, OTOH, his dad took him and his younger brother to Mardi Gras in high school... lets just say that the boys took lots of pictures of body art - and they enjoyed it immensely. :rotfl2:

Mickey looks great. Gotta follow along, looks like it will be a fun ride.

Welcome! I'm glad you found my PTR! :lovestruc I am beginning to wonder if it will be a fun ride for everyone, but me. LOL Since I am the one doing all the work... :confused3 Oh well, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it immensely.

Well, I got the applique all cut out for outfit #50... I have a feeling that I am really going to regret this one - it's super-duper tiny - much worse than Brer Rabbit. This is an outfit I've been procrastinating on a lot (you'll learn that about me - I do it all the time - hence the reason for this PTR) and dreading doing for this very reason. I told myself yesterday that I could not do another thing until I finished this order... I hate it when I tell myself things like that.

Annnd... I discovered this morning that I have to run to the fabric store - so It's going to cut my day of sewing short. I looked at outfit #51, and there is just no way I can take pictures and show it with out some sort of fluff under it - so, I must run to the store to get a roll of tulle. While I am there, I am going to get a few supplies for outfits #49, #48...

I might take the girls out for some Jimmy Johns (I'd eat there every day if I could)...

Then I am going to stop at Target and buy a $50 Disney Gift Card (since I get my 10% discount and an extra 5% for using my Target Check Card) - which makes every $50 GC I buy $42.50... Hey, if I can get my employee discount on my trip - might as well use it, right? :rolleyes1 I am sure, at some point, I will get called into the HR office and questioned as to why I've purchased $3k in Disney GCs in 6 months... (total savings $450)... I am sorry - but I am a serious budgeter, and $450 is a nice chunk of change. :wizard:

Anyways... must get off of The Dis and get outta here, so I can get back and accomplish something today. :lovestruc

D~

I am in. Love seeing what you create. I can not believe you have only been doing this for such short time. What you make is amazing. The mickey dress is so cute, and I am looking forward to seeing the next one.

CHERYL!!!!! I can't believe you went through all that trouble to find me! I thought that was you canoeing across the lake this afternoon - I thought about taking the boat out to rescue you, after you dropped an oar - but alas... once you jumped in, wearing that white t-shirt, you were on your own girly. :rolleyes1

:o:o:o Seriously??? You guys all know about my wet t-shirt days? Sometimes news travels way too fast :hyper2: in this computerized world of ours.

I managed to finish another outfit today - and I am super excited about it, because it turned out really cute! You know how sometimes you imagine something and it's really cute, then you make it and it's really not so cute... but once in a while, when you do make it, it actually turns out cute... well, this dress turned out cute. :banana:

D~

::yes::::yes::::yes:: Glad that wasn't the case this time.

Cheryl looks like you took quite the journey :rotfl:
you'd better warn Rod....Ginger might chew him up and spit him out :lmao:

D~ can't wait to see #51 and #50 so happy you give out free popcorn:: but guess I'd better limit my :drinking1 a $1.00 is pretty steep :lmao:

:teacher: You're always thinking. I could learn from you.

Annnd... I discovered this morning that I have to run to the fabric store - so It's going to cut my day of sewing short. I looked at outfit #51, and there is just no way I can take pictures and show it with out some sort of fluff under it - so, I must run to the store to get a roll of tulle. While I am there, I am going to get a few supplies for outfits #49, #48...

Then I am going to stop at Target and buy a $50 Disney Gift Card (since I get my 10% discount and an extra 5% for using my Target Check Card) - which makes every $50 GC I buy $42.50... Hey, if I can get my employee discount on my trip - might as well use it, right? :rolleyes1 I am sure, at some point, I will get called into the HR office and questioned as to why I've purchased $3k in Disney GCs in 6 months... (total savings $450)... I am sorry - but I am a serious budgeter, and $450 is a nice chunk of change. :wizard:

Anyways... must get off of The Dis and get outta here, so I can get back and accomplish something today. :lovestruc

D~
You work for Target???? I could stand to work there just for the discount! My red card only cuts out the taxes. My bill last month was not good :sad2: I blame it all on BTS supplies. I actually have a couple of things to return but can't find my receipt! I already took some shoes back (easier to buy ds two pair in different sizes and exchange a pair than to have him come along) so perhaps it's in the car.

If you don't want to run out for tulle, plastic bags work good for adding fluff. On my Alice/Tea Cup bag the lamp shade was too much so I fluffed it with plastic bags. And in this instance I recommend Walmart bags over Target bags -- Targets bags are higher quality and don't pouf as much. Plus all the Target bags fit perfectly in my sewing room trash can ;) (Am I allowed to tell a Target employee I use their bags for my trash cans or is that a faux pas?:confused3)

I have heard that POFQ is set up in such a way that nothing is really very far. I am just a little nervous that I didin't pay for a view, from everything I've read - there really isn't a horrible view... even if you have a parking lot outside your window - there's still enough landscaping inbetween that it's OK. I think I am going to Google Earth it later today - then I'll decide on room requests. LOL :lovestruc
I would NOT pay for a view. I can't see paying for a view when you have those walkways right by your window. I think you would also be more likely to have a more remote room (not that any of them are really that far). I don't think you can see too much of the parking lot from any of the buildings. I was on the parking lot side of building 4 and we couldn't see it with the foliage. I did request and got top floor-I think those rooms are a bit quieter.

Here's links to google and bing bird's eye views:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3949875

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=17&ll=28.381188,-81.536665&spn=0.006022,0.008444

Yes, it's pretty strange, isn't it? I just keep stumbling along, and learning as I go... If there's a technique I want to learn, I just google it (I love google), and find a tutorial I can understand... then away I go. :wizard: I am still trying to learn my bias tape foot... no matter how many times I try, it still doesn't like me. :confused3
Bias tape foot.:eek: I often look like this when I try to use bias tape.:crazy: I have pretty good luck if just using it for a hem and like how I can use it to add a pop of color but when I try to use it over more than 1 layer of fabric I often find myself pulling out my hair and getting friendly with my seem ripper. Hope you become friends with your new foot.

Thank you... I agree, sometimes I just like simple.... there's nothing wrong with it, and if you do it right, it can be just as cute as something with tons of ruffles and poof.
My youngest, my mini-me, is a tomboy (wonder where she got that from ;)). She'll wear a dress but doesn't go for all the ruffles. Give her a Vida with a dog and she's happy but I'm not going to get her in anything frilly or pink. I think she thinks polka dots are too girly too but she did like her Tigger PJs with polka dot cuffs so maybe she's warming up to them.

Oh and the pattern is Oliver + S's Popover sundress pattern... it's available on their website as a free download for girls and dolls - super cute, super easy, and super in my budget. :lovestruc
Thanks! I've made my tomboy dresses a lot like that by modifying the Tiered Flouncy Sundress by Monkeysbug on YCMT into a simple A-line without tiers. Of course using Cars, Wall-E and Buzz fabrics made them all the more appealing for the tomboy.:thumbsup2

Can't wait to see your next creation.

I actually have a couple of things to return but can't find my receipt!
One thing I really love about Target is you don't need a receipt. They can find it for you if you know what credit card you used to make the purchase.

One thing I really love about Target is you don't need a receipt. They can find it for you if you know what credit card you used to make the purchase.

I know I don't have to have the receipt, but it's easier if I do. Also I bought lunch boxes with thermoses on clearance that need to go back (they just don't fit my tupperware right) and I want the price I paid for them as I worry they may have been reduced even more by now. I used my Target card so that should be in my favor.

I also know I saved this receipt b/c I hadn't assessed the lunchboxes at the time I returned the shoes so it bugs me that I now can't find it. Still need to look in the car and it may be in dh's car b/c when he was post surgery I drove his car all the time (hybrid/better gas mileage ~ and much cuter than my car as well!).

I am in. Love seeing what you create. I can not believe you have only been doing this for such short time. What you make is amazing. The mickey dress is so cute, and I am looking forward to seeing the next one.

Thank you! Thanks for joining in too! :thumbsup2

checking in

Hey - hey - good to see you over here! :banana:

:o:o:o Seriously??? You guys all know about my wet t-shirt days? Sometimes news travels way too fast :hyper2: in this computerized world of ours.

Sad that it's quite legendary. :confused3

You work for Target???? I could stand to work there just for the discount! My red card only cuts out the taxes. My bill last month was not good :sad2: I blame it all on BTS supplies. I actually have a couple of things to return but can't find my receipt! I already took some shoes back (easier to buy ds two pair in different sizes and exchange a pair than to have him come along) so perhaps it's in the car.

Yes, I work part time for Target - I've been there for 5 years, almost to the day. On my first day - I swore that I wouldn't make it until Christmas, and here I am 5 years later. I am still there, I've convinced myself, because I'm too lazy to look for anything else. LOL I just despise the whole interview process... I don't like being under an magnifying lense... yet, here I am with a whole thread about my AG outfits. :confused3 I don't get it either.

If you don't want to run out for tulle, plastic bags work good for adding fluff. On my Alice/Tea Cup bag the lamp shade was too much so I fluffed it with plastic bags. And in this instance I recommend Walmart bags over Target bags -- Targets bags are higher quality and don't pouf as much. Plus all the Target bags fit perfectly in my sewing room trash can ;) (Am I allowed to tell a Target employee I use their bags for my trash cans or is that a faux pas?:confused3)

Excellent idea... could have used it about 2 hours ago. That's OK - I have pretty tulle now.

Not to worry about the Target bags... trust me - I probably have more of them than anyone, and I am always looking for good uses. :thumbsup2

I would NOT pay for a view. I can't see paying for a view when you have those walkways right by your window. I think you would also be more likely to have a more remote room (not that any of them are really that far). I don't think you can see too much of the parking lot from any of the buildings. I was on the parking lot side of building 4 and we couldn't see it with the foliage. I did request and got top floor-I think those rooms are a bit quieter.

Here's links to google and bing bird's eye views:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3949875

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=17&ll=28.381188,-81.536665&spn=0.006022,0.008444

Thanks for the links - I've opened them up in new tabs so I can go wander around for a bit. :thumbsup2

Bias tape foot.:eek: I often look like this when I try to use bias tape.:crazy: I have pretty good luck if just using it for a hem and like how I can use it to add a pop of color but when I try to use it over more than 1 layer of fabric I often find myself pulling out my hair and getting friendly with my seem ripper. Hope you become friends with your new foot.

Yah, I am not sure what is wrong - or what I am doing wrong. Hard to explain, maybe I'll take pictures later... I can't quite figure out the problem???

My youngest, my mini-me, is a tomboy (wonder where she got that from ;)). She'll wear a dress but doesn't go for all the ruffles. Give her a Vida with a dog and she's happy but I'm not going to get her in anything frilly or pink. I think she thinks polka dots are too girly too but she did like her Tigger PJs with polka dot cuffs so maybe she's warming up to them.

Thanks! I've made my tomboy dresses a lot like that by modifying the Tiered Flouncy Sundress by Monkeysbug on YCMT into a simple A-line without tiers. Of course using Cars, Wall-E and Buzz fabrics made them all the more appealing for the tomboy.:thumbsup2

Can't wait to see your next creation.

I hope you make lots of them - I think it's the perfect dress for a tom boy little girl - not too frilly, very functional and still super cute! :lovestruc

I know I don't have to have the receipt, but it's easier if I do. Also I bought lunch boxes with thermoses on clearance that need to go back (they just don't fit my tupperware right) and I want the price I paid for them as I worry they may have been reduced even more by now. I used my Target card so that should be in my favor.

I also know I saved this receipt b/c I hadn't assessed the lunchboxes at the time I returned the shoes so it bugs me that I now can't find it. Still need to look in the car and it may be in dh's car b/c when he was post surgery I drove his car all the time (hybrid/better gas mileage ~ and much cuter than my car as well!).

This is true... Andrea, as long as you didn't pay cash - Target can look up anything you purchased using any cc or check or even gift card, if you still have it (I never give mine back to the cashiers for this reason)... You just give them your card, they swipe it, then they scan the item, if it's on there, you get the exact price you paid (even if it's taken further markdowns since you purchased it) - it is exactly like having a receipt. I don't work much in guest service, but I believe the return policy period is still 90 days, so as long as it was purchased with in that time frame, you should be good. :thumbsup2

Sooo... I got the tulle... off to go make some poof - so I can take pictures of #51 for you all... Then, I'll be appliqueing for the rest of the afternoon. :wizard: Wish me luck - those appliques are TINY.

D~

Wow, I cannot believe you're so new to sewing! I've been at it a couple of years now, off and on, and am just barely dipping my foot into hand applique and other "advanced" techniques. Although that might just be my natural tendency to stick to the familiar... :rolleyes1 I've tried more new things since the DISbout Project Runway started than I have in all the time I've been sewing.

I love #52, so classic and simple! Can't wait to see 51. :goodvibes

Wow, I cannot believe you're so new to sewing! I've been at it a couple of years now, off and on, and am just barely dipping my foot into hand applique and other "advanced" techniques. Although that might just be my natural tendency to stick to the familiar... :rolleyes1 I've tried more new things since the DISbout Project Runway started than I have in all the time I've been sewing.

I love #52, so classic and simple! Can't wait to see 51. :goodvibes

Yah - I am pretty new to sewing... It's the whole "wreck it if you got it" technique. LOL Makes me unafraid to try new things. :lovestruc

I know - I love the Runway too, it's been so much fun - just too time consuming though.

Welcome - if I haven't said it yet - I'm starting to lose track of who's been here and who hasn't. :rolleyes1

D~

I can't belive you've only been sewing a few months. Those outfits are beautiful. Port Orleans French Quarter is my current favorite resort. We'll be there a wek from today. I can't wait to read more of your plans.
Liz

So, here it is... Outfit #51...

Front:
aIMG_1863.jpg

Back:
aIMG_1865.jpg

Close-up:
AIMG_1866.jpg

(I just realized I forgot to remove my basting stitiches - better go do that).

And no pictures of the new tu-tu (you can kind of see it peeking out the bottom if you really concentrate), but it was fun to make and really makes a difference in the flow of the dress - FUN! I will be getting a lot of use out of it. :lovestruc

D~

:wave2: I'm in. Can't wait to see what make for all your outfits. I remember when you first started posting on the DISboutique thread as I had just started posting on that thread too.:goodvibes

So glad to see Cheryl was able to make it too!

Front:
aIMG_1863.jpg

D~

Love both #52 & #51

Excellent idea about youtube... Sometimes I wander over there, but I've never used it as my first course of action. However, it was immensely helpful to me when I purchased my serger - couldn't have learned that one with out youtube.

Well, I got the applique all cut out for outfit #50... I have a feeling that I am really going to regret this one - it's super-duper tiny - much worse than Brer Rabbit. This is an outfit I've been procrastinating on a lot (you'll learn that about me - I do it all the time - hence the reason for this PTR) and dreading doing for this very reason. I told myself yesterday that I could not do another thing until I finished this order... I hate it when I tell myself things like that.

I might take the girls out for some Jimmy Johns (I'd eat there every day if I could)...

D~
A few comments on this post:
1. I love Youtube videos for sewing. They have taught me tons of stuff. I bought my serger second hand and I really wasn't taking full advantage of it. I recently found a bunch of videos posted by Bernina showing how to use many of the features that I didn't understand.
2. If anybody can handle small pieces and make an applique look wonderful, it is you! I can't wait to see what you create.
3. What is Jimmy Johns?
4. What a great idea to use the employee discount and your other savings to buy the gift cards. That is a serious chunk of money that you can save on your trip! I think that is great!

Eveybody is right about you not needing a receipt to get the correct amount back on the lunchboxes.

Front:
aIMG_1863.jpg

Back:
aIMG_1865.jpg

Close-up:
AIMG_1866.jpg

And no pictures of the new tu-tu (you can kind of see it peeking out the bottom if you really concentrate), but it was fun to make and really makes a difference in the flow of the dress - FUN! I will be getting a lot of use out of it. :lovestruc

D~

Love it! I can't wait to see what is next!

Front:
aIMG_1863.jpg

Back:
aIMG_1865.jpg

Close-up:
AIMG_1866.jpg

D~

more cuteness....at this rate you will be ahead of schedule in no time!

btw....I use my plastic bags for trash cans...extra packing material when I ship stuff too

I can't belive you've only been sewing a few months. Those outfits are beautiful. Port Orleans French Quarter is my current favorite resort. We'll be there a wek from today. I can't wait to read more of your plans.
Liz

Welcome! And thank you. I am really looking forward to staying at POFQ... the girls are really excited too. I would love to see some of you pictures from POFQ when you get back... :lovestruc Have a great trip!!!

:wave2: I'm in. Can't wait to see what make for all your outfits. I remember when you first started posting on the DISboutique thread as I had just started posting on that thread too.:goodvibes

So glad to see Cheryl was able to make it too!

Love both #52 & #51

Thank you. I didn't realize that we started posting on the Disboutique at the same time... And look at all the awesome stuff you have made since then! :lovestruc

Yah - Cheryl seems to follow me everywhere. That's OK - she's really nice in person... although I think she likes Rod much more than she lets on. :lovestruc

Adorable!!!!!

Thank you! :lovestruc

A few comments on this post:
1. I love Youtube videos for sewing. They have taught me tons of stuff. I bought my serger second hand and I really wasn't taking full advantage of it. I recently found a bunch of videos posted by Bernina showing how to use many of the features that I didn't understand.
2. If anybody can handle small pieces and make an applique look wonderful, it is you! I can't wait to see what you create.

Wow - what a nice thing to say... as I just came down stairs to cook supper as I butched the first part of the applique. Maybe no one will notice except for me?

3. What is Jimmy Johns?

It's only the best sub shop in the world. A and I were eating there this afternoon, and we were dreaming out loud that we hoped there was a JJ at WDW, because then we'd order some of the freaky fast subs and have them delivered to POFQ for $.35 each... Must have really been a dream. That would be awesome though. :lovestruc

4. What a great idea to use the employee discount and your other savings to buy the gift cards. That is a serious chunk of money that you can save on your trip! I think that is great!

Thanks... I am buying them while I can, because once Corp. finds out, they will probably ban our discount from all gift card purchases. Funny thing is, we don't' get our discount on Target GCs. LOL

Love it! I can't wait to see what is next!

Thanks... me either... if I can just get these appliques to cooperate. :rolleyes

Off to make dinner (fattening) chicken alfredo - from a jar, of course. No time to make a real meal tonight - must sew. :confused3

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter