Shamu show One Ocean will be closing Jan to April

FLOIR

DIS Veteran
It has been officially announced that the Shamu show One Ocean will be shutting down to allow some work to be done to the main pool at Shamu stadium. It is expected to be shut down in early January and not reopen again until mid April.

Dine With Shamu will also be suspended during that time.

There will be a special Shamu Up Close that will take place on the Dine With Shamu side of the stadium that will allow guests to learn about training techniques and whale interaction.

The surface of the pool will be repainted and the plexiglass panels around the pool will be replaced.

Just read that, glad we booked our trip for October. It will be our first visit to SeaWorld in Orlando, even though we visit the orlando area annually. We were season pass holders when there was a sea world here in Ohio, and are really excited to go. Would have been sad if the rehab was while we were there.

How disappointing for the January to April visitors :sad1: . Missing One Ocean at SeaWorld is like going to Disney and not getting a hug from Mickey Mouse.

The good thing about this, is there will be a mini show which might be pretty cool since it will be backstage in an area that people usually pay good money to see on tours or the Dine With Shamu experience. So you'll still get to see the whales and watch them perform in a backstage area for free!

Nowhere does the start-date for the closure seem available. What does "early January" mean? Any ideas?

(Looks like we will be there the worst week for closures, when Wild Arctic hasn't re-opened from Christmas, and Shamu is closed for the spring. Ugh.)

Just a hunch here - although the dates have not been made public for when it will close, I would bet that Wild Arctic opens before Shamu closes. Otherwise that back part of the park would be a ghost town.

One Ocean is on the daily schedule until Jan 5th so I assume it will there until then at least.

Haven't heard anything official, but if I had to guess, it will close the first day after the winter break season which ends Sunday, January 5th. So my money is on Monday, January 6th for when it will be closed.

This STINKS!!! Discovery Cove is stating via phone that SW gave a re-open date of April 7.
I pray that is accurate! We are arriving mid April. I must see ONE OCEAN!!!!

This is some tough news to hear Im sure, but from an insider I know, they've never done this kind of work to the main pool in the 25+ years Shamu Stadium has bee around....thus the need to close.

Aw I really wanted to do Dine with Shamu. :(

Oh well, more incentive for me to come back I suppose! And I'm excited to see the Shamu Up Close experience. That should be pretty neat. (I'm lucky in that I'm going on December 29th so can see One Ocean then and will get to see Shamu Up Close on our second SW day which will be January 7th)

Looks like Dine with Shamu is gone from January 1st.

It has been officially announced that the Shamu show One Ocean will be shutting down to allow some work to be done to the main pool at Shamu stadium. It is expected to be shut down in early January and not reopen again until mid April.

Dine With Shamu will also be suspended during that time.

There will be a special Shamu Up Close that will take place on the Dine With Shamu side of the stadium that will allow guests to learn about training techniques and whale interaction.

The surface of the pool will be repainted and the plexiglass panels around the pool will be replaced.

Are you serious? Thats the one show that DH had to see. We changed our vacation around in order to incorporate Sea World in. That was the only thing he had asked for all upcoming vacation. Now i'm contemplating our SW vacation package and going to Disney or something. He NEVER asked for anything on any of our vacation. We travel alot. Figures first time he requests something its closed!

Are you serious? Thats the one show that DH had to see. We changed our vacation around in order to incorporate Sea World in. That was the only thing he had asked for all upcoming vacation. Now i'm contemplating our SW vacation package and going to Disney or something. He NEVER asked for anything on any of our vacation. We travel alot. Figures first time he requests something its closed!

If it's the orca he likes them maybe he'll enjoy the Shamu up close show that will be in its place?

If it's the orca he likes them maybe he'll enjoy the Shamu up close show that will be in its place?

Yes..its all about the Orca !!
I hope that show makes up for the lack of the other show!
I'll let him find out for himself when we get to the park!

I am so disappointed right now. Our vacation is end of February and the first vacation in almost a year and a half. Which was there. I wonder if they will have anything available for platinum pass members? We do pay a lot for our passes. Glad we added Disney to the tail end of this trip.

I'm gutted... I dont really do the Disney parks or Universal etc, Seaworld is where I go and sit through the shows all day long, havent been since 2008 to Orlando tho!! What an awful shame :(

I feel so bad for all of us scheduled to travel during this time!:(

But after speaking to SW and DC reps, they are saying that they will have another up close experience with the Orcas. Im trying to be happy about that even tho I am heartbroken.:cloud9:

Well that's some terrible timing. I am glad I saw this as my kids were looking forward to this show next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter