Shamu show One Ocean will be closing Jan to April

Just checked the SW site -- sooo disappointing since we'll be there next month. Could they have given guests more warning so that they could reschedule? Probably.

Btw the Shamu up close show looks just like an underwater viewing tank. :confused3 That's not very special.

Just checked the SW site -- sooo disappointing since we'll be there next month. Could they have given guests more warning so that they could reschedule? Probably.

Btw the Shamu up close show looks just like an underwater viewing tank. :confused3 That's not very special.

I think it's more than that. It's an actual presentation above water in the dine with shamu area. If anyone has been since Shamu Upclose opened, please post a review. Very interested to see what it's like.

I hope they do away with this show and bring back one that is more educational like the previous show I know it isn't Shamu Rocks. I've never liked the new show since they removed that aspect from it.

Here is an article from the Orlando Sentinel about "Shamu: Close Up" after it's debut yesterday as a temporary replacement for "One Ocean." Be sure to click on the photo at the top of the article to see all 16 photos for some more insight into the presentation.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...world-shamu-up-close-20140107,0,4423082.story

I take back everything I said -- since I'm going to be there with my future dolphin trainer we might just be there all day. I think she'd actually enjoy the little show more than seeing the big show....again.

I was able to make it out there yesterday. The encounter is where Dine With Shamu used to be, all tables and chairs have been removed. You enter the large gate to the DWS area closest to the ramp going up to the stadium itself. Once inside you are free to walk around and stand anywhere along the plexiglass. The whales will come out periodically and a trainer will discuss them, either about a behavior or the bond between the animal and the trainer, something along those lines.

Once you decide you are ready to leave you walk to where the entrance to DWS used to be. You are then guided by barriers to the underwater viewing area. From there you proceed up the ramp and are done.

This allows you a much closer view of the whales, especially if the park is not busy. You are literally just feet from the water, and since it is ongoing throughout the day, it looks like the crowd will self regulate, more or less.

It seems they have changed the flow of people at least once or twice, so this may change again, but it seemed to be a good path. I actually heard several people say they preferred this to the normal show.

I was able to make it out there yesterday. The encounter is where Dine With Shamu used to be, all tables and chairs have been removed. You enter the large gate to the DWS area closest to the ramp going up to the stadium itself. Once inside you are free to walk around and stand anywhere along the plexiglass. The whales will come out periodically and a trainer will discuss them, either about a behavior or the bond between the animal and the trainer, something along those lines.

Once you decide you are ready to leave you walk to where the entrance to DWS used to be. You are then guided by barriers to the underwater viewing area. From there you proceed up the ramp and are done.

This allows you a much closer view of the whales, especially if the park is not busy. You are literally just feet from the water, and since it is ongoing throughout the day, it looks like the crowd will self regulate, more or less.

It seems they have changed the flow of people at least once or twice, so this may change again, but it seemed to be a good path. I actually heard several people say they preferred this to the normal show.

Thats great to hear!! Thanks for reporting back!:thumbsup2

my kids are heartbroken. One of the big reasons to go to Seaworld was to get splashed by the killer whales :(

Yes we get a closer look but I kinda like the "show" aspect. A little anti-climactic now. Will we be able to get a picture with the whale in the back you think?

neeka27 said:
my kids are heartbroken. One of the big reasons to go to Seaworld was to get splashed by the killer whales :(

Yes we get a closer look but I kinda like the "show" aspect. A little anti-climactic now. Will we be able to get a picture with the whale in the back you think?

In the underwater viewing area I always get some nice pics. And if you have the kids stand in front of the glass just have them smile and be ready for when the whale comes by.

There were some people when I was there that got some very good pictures. One of the whales came up right by the glass and just looked at everyone standing there. People that were standing there were able to get good pictures, and I noticed several that stood back and got pictures of their family with the whale right behind them.

Granted this is luck of the draw - if you happen to be standing right there where the whale came up. I don't think this was anything the trainer did, if so I completely missed the signal. But I also noticed that they came up at various places around the pool.

I just found a video of the show on YouTube. I don't have enough posts to be able to post the link but it's titled Shamu Up Close - SeaWorld Orlando posted by 919Florida

We spent two full days at SW last week (the first week of the new format), and even though we were sad not to see the "show," I have to say that Shamu up close was our absolute favorite part of the park. Over the two days, we spent almost 3 full hours watching, which included 3 of the hourly training sessions, plus long stretches just watching the whales without trainers. The sessions were each different, so repeats were absolutely worthwhile, but all included enough information to feel complete standing alone. The lack of a schedule was frustrating, but necessary with such a small space. I do have to say, the staff in the area was wonderful as well, both in the sense of answering questions as well as guest management and ensuring that people were sitting down in the front so everyone could see. So for those worried that you are missing something, don't be too sad. There is less spectacle and less show, but plenty of dazzle, plenty of photo ops (which the staff very clearly indicated and helped with), plenty of jumping, and still a very emotional and enjoyable experience. I was impressed.

It has been officially announced that the Shamu show One Ocean will be shutting down to allow some work to be done to the main pool at Shamu stadium. It is expected to be shut down in early January and not reopen again until mid April. Dine With Shamu will also be suspended during that time. There will be a special Shamu Up Close that will take place on the Dine With Shamu side of the stadium that will allow guests to learn about training techniques and whale interaction. The surface of the pool will be repainted and the plexiglass panels around the pool will be replaced.

Well crap. Just booked our trip for this March. Ugh.

Well crap. Just booked our trip for this March. Ugh.

A lot of people have said they enjoy this temporary experience much more than the actual show, so you may enjoy Shamu up close more than the actual show.

A lot of people have said they enjoy this temporary experience much more than the actual show, so you may enjoy Shamu up close more than the actual show.

I'm really hoping so. My husband and I did the breakfast with Shamu in San Diego. We loved it. I was so looking forward to doing this with my 5 year old. I guess this explains why I did not see the program on the website. He is very into animals and has been talking a lot of orcas. He does not know we are going yet.

It's been a few years since I've been to Seaworld. I'd appreciate any recommendations for things to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter