Share Your Best Marriage Advice/Tips

Separate checking accounts.

Don't do home improvement projects together.

These two rules have worked for us for almost 30 years.

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

We get married to love and be loved by what if you and your spouse express love differently?

My husband gives me mushy cards and hugs and kisses but that doesn't make me feel loved as much as if he would do tasks that are hard for me like buying tires for my car.

And when i showed love by shopping for items he needed or doing his laundry he just thought I liked doing laundry.

After we read this book he asked what i would like for Valentine's day. I said rather than a card or chocolate or flowers if he could get new tires bought and installed on my car.

And now when i do a task for him i sometimes say "I am doing this for you because I love you"

It is my new Wedding present + a check!

Don't do home improvement projects together.

My grandpa used to say that before any couple got married, they should be holed up in an old farmhouse with warped walls & spend a week putting up new wallpaper. If they still loved each other afterwards, they could proceed with the marriage :lmao:

Mine: Put your marriage first. Everything else (kids, career, family, money, etc) comes second.

Care more about the other person than yourself, and put them ahead of yourself in all things. Expect your spouse to do the same. Don't be afraid to talk about it when one of you doesn't.

Don't leave. :laughing:

Getting married was easy. Staying married is the hardest job in the world.

You're not perfect....neither is your spouse.

People tend to live up (or down) to your expectations.

Don't sweat the small stuff
No name calling during fights
And as a previous poster said, never, ever do a home improvement/furniture assembly project together

communicate!! even about "the little things"

first thing I do when I get up is hug my hubby, and it's the last thing I do before I fall asleep. I love starting/ending my day like that!

My dad gave a toast at our wedding with the best advice "fight for each other not with each other". Another thing that my husband and I have figured out is that it does not matter who has the moral high ground in a fight,

You will not agree on everything , when you do disagree, make sure that you don't belittle or name call. Don't keep a scorecard, if you let it go, then really let it go and not hold it in your back pocket to whip out every time things get tough.

Realize that making a marriage work TAKES work. Put as much work, effort, consideration, and planning into your marriage as you do your wedding. :thumbsup2

In no particular order...

Be proud of each other & show your spouse that you're proud of him/her.

Support & encourage each other.

Laugh. A lot.

Be a "soft place" for your spouse to land.

Respect each other. Cherish each other. Love each other.

Be gentle with each other's feelings.

Respect each other's parents.

Spend time together doing shared hobbies. Have some of the same interests but still maintain som "alone" time & self-hobbies.

Understand that marriage is not 50-50. It's 100-100. And sometimes it might be 120-80.

Shower together. Often.

Marry an orphan.

Seriously, that's my best advice. I'm not going to air that dirty laundry in public, but... marry an orphan.

Never fall out of love at the same time - My grandmom always told us this and she and my pop pop were married for 57 years.

Go to bed angry - once you sleep on it and wake up you will most likely have a new prospective and will have a calmer head.

Never yell at each other unless the house is burning down.

Don't have kids. :lmao:

Seriously, though, one of the best things I think we have done is deliberately made our home is a "safe space" from the craziness of the outside world. I'm sure people with kids could make that work, but it would be much trickier.

To that end:

Don't yell. "Fight", if need be, by talking through your problems together, but don't make it personal and don't belittle each other.

Be the supportive ear to whom your spouse can vent about unrelated problems, even if you can't do anything about those problems.

Don't take each other for granted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter