Share your gear please!

doodlemama

Mouseketeer
I am sure others have asked but I would love to hear what gear you use for a RD half. I would really like to leave my huge iPhone plus behind and will probably have a garmin watch. Do you use a running belt? If no phone what source for
Music? Water needed or plenty on course? Gels? Etc etc. any favorites for anything is super helpful! And fun to buy new stuff. Rd is a great excuse ;)

Keep in mind that this is all highly individual, of course. What works for others may or may not work for you. That being said . . .

For a half, I just run with my TomTom watch to measure time/distance/pace, and that's it. I find the water stops at most events, especially RD events, to be frequent enough that I don't bother carrying water, and I don't use gels or solids for a half. I may grab a cup of whatever sports drink is being offered along the course, but that's about it - pretty minimalist!

For a half at WDW I carry very little. I do not fuel during a half, so nothing there. I wear my Garmin and a flipbelt to carry my phone, which I use to take pictures and to contact my family when I have finished.

For the half during marathon weekend, I carried two gels and nothing else. I left my phone in my check bag since the photo opportunities are better during the full.

I never carry a phone when I run and don't listen to music. For any race, rD or otherwise, I bring my watch, what I'm wearing, and my car key or hotel room key. That's it.

Garmin watch, apple iPod shuffle and headphones. I also carried some caffeinated gum (RunGum) and gel (E-Gel) because I was in the middle of Dopey. I don't carry water because the water stations are frequent enough.

It’s my Garmin Watch, iPhone in a RooSports pouch and one Huma gel for me for pretty much any half marathon. For a Disney half I’ll also wear my MagicBand.

I carried my phone in my SparkleSkirt pocket, and wore my Apple Watch with my MagicBand puck attached. Plenty of water and Powerade provided along the route. I had an applesauce pouch in the front pocket of the skirt (those skirts are the best!), and I'm glad I did, because by the time this slowpoke was at the station for gels, they were all gone.

Old timex ironman watch, ipod shuffle, and a couple of GU gels with caffeine. I'm a bit odd that I have not stopped for a picture in either Disney HM I ran in, so no need for a phone.

Last edited:
For the half during marathon weekend, generally I use:

- Garmin 220 watch
- Road ID bracelet
- flip belt holding my phone (for emergency purposes only), car keys, and 9 oz bottle of electrolyte drink
- a GU or two in my shorts pocket

I never listen to music.

I carry my phone and chapstick in a SparkleSkirt pocket. I wear my OrangeMud Single Barrel Hydraquiver which carries my mini-wallet (for ID and credit card), one 20 oz bottle of water, Endurolytes, and Gu Chews. I use the course water and Powerade, but I like to carry my own water because I drink a lot of water, and I want to make sure I have water when I want it and when I want to take my nutrition, and not when the course dictates that I want it. :) runDisney typically does have enough water stops for most people. I even think they usually have extra stops for the Star Wars races in April when it is hotter than their other races. I also wear my Garmin Fenix 5s. I don’t typically listen to music when I run (unless I’m running indoors).

For Disney I always run with my small camera (handheld but can go in a pocket if need be, I know there's photopass for characters but some don't have one & I like photos/video along the course too)

Sometimes my phone in my armband

Garmin watch

Magic Band (have to get back in the room)

In my pockets - -
Gels
Chapstick
tissues
Biofreeze packets or a small jar of tiger balm (they have Biofreeze at the med tents but just in case I don't want to wait for one)

I just rely on the course water and powerade.

Half I carry little, I use capris with a single short pocket. I bring my Garmin and Magic Band on my wrists (usually if I'm running with friends we take turns on magic band duty), my tiny cellphone, one gel, and one pack of gummies which is the total of my race fuel. If weather requires something else, i.e. chapstick or suntan lotion, I try to do it before hand rather than bring it on the course.

For a runDisney half marathon I wear my Garmin and carry my phone and fuel (Picky Bar) in my pocket. No music (runDisney courses are entertaining enough) and no hydration (runDisney water stops are plentiful).

I will probably at least carry my handheld for the marathon. But, that has nothing to do with lack of water stops on the course. I’m just not a fan of PowerAid and, for that distance, I think I will be better off with my own electrolyte drink (nuun).

I bring my phone. Not all picture stops will have a photopass photographer. Also if a picture is really important to you it’s good to have a backup in case your photo never makes it into your MDE account. Plus, photos are not free to download.

The last two half marathons I used my Nathan hydration vest. I’m trying to wean myself off that this summer. I’ve made it 10 miles with just my handheld Amphipod with Tailwind in it. I have a box of Sport Beans that I’m finishing up. I like them but sometimes they are hard to get out of the bag and/or chew while running. Once those are gone I’ll try something new. I like clothing with pockets so no belt for me.

I'm a minimalist, if it doesn't strap to my wrist or fit in my pockets I don't bring it. Not a picture stop guy.
Garmin, a couple of gels, a few fig newtons in a zip-lock bag, chapstick, mini Body Glide for the full.
Sunglasses for the full, but not the half.
Throw-away hat and gloves, if needed.
I use the provided water/Powerade.
Phone and Magic band go in the gear check bag. (My iPhone is so old, if someone stole it, they'd probably return it with a donation!)

During the race:
iPhone, ear buds - held in an armband. Car key (I drive), gels, lip balm, inhaler, driver's license and a $20, all stuffed into Skirt Sports skirt pockets. Also a handheld water bottle with pocket holding Nuun tabs.

I also bring a small bag to the start area with a tiny Ziploc of sunscreen (so I can apply it right before starting) and a granola bar to eat 1 hour before starting.

I'm a pack rat lol. I wear a hydration vest because I like sipping water or Tailwind during my runs and most hydration belts are too big on me. I bring my phone and headphones (only to rD runs that I'm running solo), whatever candy or nutrition I'm using, tissues, little amount of sunscreen, lip balm, some cash, and driver's license. I wear my Garmin and magic band if necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter