• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shared, genderless restrooms

Well - the deal was that one of the rooms had urinals with "barely there" partitions, which were right across from the stalls. I don't suspect many women will be using them, but the general idea was that women are allowed in there to get to the stalls.

I don't think it's a big deal. We already have too many hangups about who uses what restroom.
Meh, I've used plenty of men's restrooms in my day. At concerts in particular. Men seem way less hung up about it than woman do. If it were the most convenient/fastest moving restroom wouldn't bother me at all to use it.

I've never seen a public restroom where the stalls didn't have gaps. The only stalls I've ever seen that didn't were in a college dorm. Back then it was a novel idea.
We have several in my area, especially in newish builds.

Well - the deal was that one of the rooms had urinals with "barely there" partitions, which were right across from the stalls. I don't suspect many women will be using them, but the general idea was that women are allowed in there to get to the stalls.

I don't think it's a big deal. We already have too many hangups about who uses what restroom.

Not quite related but close enough when I was a little kid back in the early 90s I was in the mall with my mom and I had to go very badly and I was not paying attention and went into the men's room I come out and in a not so nice way ask what was I thinking

Long story short to this day not only do I double check I triple check I am going in the women's restroom

I have seen them without gaps, and sometimes an actual door with a door knob. Usually in nice restaurants.

Now that I think of it, I've seen some like that. Typically that was the kind I see at McDonald's, where it's literally sheetrock walls on three sides instead of using partitions. There's still a flimsy metal door about a foot off the ground though.

However, a college dorm is the only place I've ever seen partitions that went all the way to the floor and where they used rubber seals and a specific design such that there were no gaps when it was closed. Maybe a tiny gap at the floor. I think the idea that anyone trying to be a peeping Tom would be pretty obvious.

Not quite related but close enough when I was a little kid back in the early 90s I was in the mall with my mom and I had to go very badly and I was not paying attention and went into the men's room I come out and in a not so nice way ask what was I thinking

Long story short to this day not only do I double check I triple check I am going in the women's restroom

Who hasn't done that? That's how I found out that many women's rooms have lounges. I did that at a very familiar place too. I was wondering why there were two toilets when I remembered there should be one toilet and one urinal.

My hangup is squat toilets. They're popular in Asia, although I've never stayed at a hotel room that had them. Besides the obvious uncomfortable position, there seems to be the risk of slipping and falling into the pit.

I thought of changing the title to "All gender". However, "All inclusive" is what it said on the sign. I think they were trying to get across that it could apply to anyone, as some people consider themselves "genderless".

I wouldn't. It looks very similar to the bomb shelter signs we have. As for the rest of the topic, I'll hold it, thanks.
The thread topic, in it's entirety, is washroom signage as far as I can tell. :wave2:

I mean the triangle sign vs using a gender neutral bathroom. I'll hold it instead of using it. ;)

Yeah - I was kind of wondering why they decided on a blank triangle. They had a detailed sign explaining of what they were doing, but that might go over the heads of kids who don't understand all the words. This was Golden Gate Park, and I heard at least a half dozen different languages. A lot of overseas visitors might know enough English to hail a taxi or order a restaurant meal, but some of the words like "inclusive" might be a bit obscure.

I did that in Cars Land in DCA this summer. Walked out of the women's and straight into the men's and I'm fully grown. :rotfl:

Your story (being little in the mall) reminded me of one time in JC Penney in our mall. You walk down a hall and there's a Family restroom, Women's and then Men's. The line in the Women's was long but DD and I were near the front when this little girl, maybe four, came in shaking and crying. Her dad had sent her in on her own and she'd never been in by herself. She was doing the pee pee dance so I asked if she wanted my DD to help her (DD was around 12) she said no and got in the back of the line. I told her to go ahead of us. Luckily no one was mad, we all felt so bad for her. I couldn't understand why the dad didn't just didn't take her to the family restroom if he didn't want to take her into the men's.

I did that in Cars Land in DCA this summer. Walked out of the women's and straight into the men's and I'm fully grown. :rotfl:

Your story (being little in the mall) reminded me of one time in JC Penney in our mall. You walk down a hall and there's a Family restroom, Women's and then Men's. The line in the Women's was long but DD and I were near the front when this little girl, maybe four, came in shaking and crying. Her dad had sent her in on her own and she'd never been in by herself. She was doing the pee pee dance so I asked if she wanted my DD to help her (DD was around 12) she said no and got in the back of the line. I told her to go ahead of us. Luckily no one was mad, we all felt so bad for her. I couldn't understand why the dad didn't just didn't take her to the family restroom if he didn't want to take her into the men's.

It's usually understood that a parent can take a child (maybe under 6) in. I see signs specifically noting that in a lot of places like swimming pool dressing rooms, although they say that after a point they require the use of "appropriate" facilities, but where they also had locked rooms for those uncomfortable.

It's usually understood that a parent can take a child (maybe under 6) in. I see signs specifically noting that in a lot of places like swimming pool dressing rooms, although they say that after a point they require the use of "appropriate" facilities, but where they also had locked rooms for those uncomfortable.
It usually is, I'm not sure what was up with that. That little my DH did not hesitate to take our girls in the men's if he was out with the kids by himself. Around about 6 ish is when he started sending them into the women's but standing right outside, same with myself and DS.

The bathrooms in the Grand Californian lobby have stalls that are floor to ceiling, doors too. At least in the women's. I've seen stalls like that somewhere else but I can't remember where.

I think it's a triangle in a circle because usually the women's sign is a circle and the men's is a triangle. It's not always like that everywhere, though, so even I was confused until our principal told us it stood for any gender. When I first saw it I thought it was still a men's restroom and the little man on the triangle was just missing.

The bathrooms in the Grand Californian lobby have stalls that are floor to ceiling, doors too. At least in the women's. I've seen stalls like that somewhere else but I can't remember where.

I think it's a triangle in a circle because usually the women's sign is a circle and the men's is a triangle. It's not always like that everywhere, though, so even I was confused until our principal told us it stood for any gender. When I first saw it I thought it was still a men's restroom and the little man on the triangle was just missing.

The door I saw was kind of this pale orange plastic triangle glued to the door. There was no circle. I didn't pay too much attention to the other door, although I guess it could have been a circle. It was pretty obvious that the one with the urinals was the old mens room. They could have just buffed off the old symbols. And yeah - I get how all this nonstandard stuff gets confusing.

They did have a sign on the wall saying that if a urinal was preferred, use the one on the left.

The door I saw was kind of this pale orange plastic triangle glued to the door. There was no circle. I didn't pay too much attention to the other door, although I guess it could have been a circle. It was pretty obvious that the one with the urinals was the old mens room. They could have just buffed off the old symbols. And yeah - I get how all this nonstandard stuff gets confusing.

They did have a sign on the wall saying that if a urinal was preferred, use the one on the left.

Ahh. The ones we have at work are like the pic you posted - blue circle with white triangle inside.

Ahh. The ones we have at work are like the pic you posted - blue circle with white triangle inside.

Strangely enough when I went with my family, my wife was amused enough to take pictures of one of the doors. It was actually a triangle in a circle, but it was some sort of smoky orange color with the triangle a lighter shade of orange. Art museum I guess.

I thought of changing the title to "All gender". However, "All inclusive" is what it said on the sign. I think they were trying to get across that it could apply to anyone, as some people consider themselves "genderless".
I've always heard them called gender inclusive restrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter