Sharing, what is this sharing you speak of?

The Beach Bears

Earning My Ears
Would it be easier to share a TS or CS for children? While I realize that this is a stupid question for many, I am looking for answers from parents of siblings. We have just recently become parents of siblings (adopting a five year old girl) both our new daughter and our six year old daughter are having difficulty sharing anything, and I mean anything, everything and the air in the room. While we are hoping this will pass before the trip we are working on planning everything out.

So parents out there should we scrap sharing? Should we only share CS? Or should we go for it all and try to share TS? (I kind of lean against sharing TS anyways)

Any input would be welcomed:fish:

The Beach Bears said:
Would it be easier to share a TS or CS for children? While I realize that this is a stupid question for many, I am looking for answers from parents of siblings. We have just recently become parents of siblings (adopting a five year old girl) both our new daughter and our six year old daughter are having difficulty sharing anything, and I mean anything, everything and the air in the room. While we are hoping this will pass before the trip we are working on planning everything out.

So parents out there should we scrap sharing? Should we only share CS? Or should we go for it all and try to share TS? (I kind of lean against sharing TS anyways)

IF we were to share meals on our trip it would be maybe the following senarios:

1) Me and DS share adult meal;
2) Me and DD share adult meal;
3) DD & DD share kids meal (they share kids meal at McDonalds because neither one of them eats very much, if I get them 2 happy meals it is wasted, if I get them one, nothing is thrown away).
:wave2:

My kids almost always share meals b/c they rarely eat enough to justify buying two. At most TS restaurants (in and out of WDW) I just order one kids meal for them to share. The exception is if they really want different things. I often will see if I can add on an extra side so they both get extra apple sauce or veggies or whatever.

I am assuming at WDW, they will share most/all of their CS meals b/c portions are so big. But if they need an extra or want different things, we'll buy two.

FWIW, my little ones are 5 and 2 so the younger one isn't on DP. So we don't have extra credits for her anyways. We'll just pay for younger DD OOP when we need to. JJ

The reason for sharing is usually to "save" credits to use on 2TS meals, or to allow breakfast, lunch, and dinner to occur on the DDP. Another reason is that the plan includes quite a bit of food, and some of us don't like to waste it.

You cannot share at any character meal or "all you can eat" meal. Each person will use the appropriate credits for these regardless of how much they eat.

As to your girls sharing with each other--you can do that. One kid meal can satisfy 2 light eaters. Alternatively, an adult can share with a child. FOr example, you can buy a CS meal of hamburger, fries, dessert and drink. Ask for an extra cup of ice and share your drink, but off some of the burger and dessert and share with the child. Another possibility is to get the "double hamburger" meal and pay 90 cents for an extra bun. I cannot eat a full CS meal, and have typically shared my teen's meal! This then "saves" a CS credit which could be used for a CS breakfast. If you do the double hamburger/extra bun thing, you can organize the tray while at the condiment station so that the kids don't know they are "sharing!"

Sharing only works if 2 people want to eat the same thing--whether it is 2 kids or a child and an adult.

Bottom line...this is your vacation. If sharing is a hassle, don't even try it. If it works for you, it can save on waste as well as allowing the DDP to basically cover all meals for lighter eaters.

Although my boys have gotten better and we don't have to do this now, I used to ask the server to split the meal in the kitchen. That way each boy received his own plate and it didn't look like they were sharing. Now I just ask for 2 plates and split it when it gets there.

Last year on the dining plan we wasted food at every sit down place if we ordered a meal for both of them. They are both pretty good eaters but there is a ton of food. This year we are planning on sharing 3 meals between the 4 of us at every restaurant we can.

They can't agree on anything so I will just order food for them. Funny story, I asked if they wanted to eat with Stitch or Pooh, DS4 said Stitch, DS5 said Pooh. The next day I asked the same question and got the exact opposite answers! We're eating with Stitch.

They are 4.5 and 5.5 by the way.

I think sharing counter services meals would be easier. You can ask for extra cup, plate, whatever....and split the meal before the girls see it.

At a table service, the girls will hear you ask the server to split the meal, or ask for an extra plate and they'll see you do it at the table yourself.

Simply tell them, this is the way it is. If you eat what you have, and want more food, I'll get it for you, or you can have dessert.

You may wish to pick your battles on this issue. It may or may not be worth the trouble. Don't ruin your vacation over it.

We don't share meals at WDW. My sons are 8 and almost 6. They NEVER want to eat the same thing. My DS5 loves PB&J and at WDW that is a Smuckers Uncrustable (hard to split). And the CS kids meals are not very much food anyway - I think you get 3 chicken fingers. The kids meals come with a drink.

If we're going to share then I share with the kids. Sometimes I eat some of their fries and don't order any with my meal. I've also split at CS adult meal with one of them. But I don't make them share because keeping the peace is worth the few extra 4 dollars! :teeth:

Have you looked at the menus on AllEars?
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

We are splurging and purchased the DDP for our May trip. But on our previous trips we ate very conservatively and the boys did not split any meals. We ate quick breakfasts in the room and mainly CS meals.

We are a family of 5 and we have never shared meals at WDW or any where else. DH and I would just never do that. We always want different things and he's a big eater too. As for my kids...they always want different things and are usually very hungry at WDW from all the walking and finish their entire meal. They, unlike DH, are not big eaters they just get pretty hungry walking all day. Granted we do go in the cooler months, so I'm sure it might be different in the middle of July!

I think if I was in your situation (and by the way, congratulations on adopting your daughter!), I wouldn't want to make anything more difficult than it already is during this time of adjustment for your kids. If they're having a hard time sharing, then don't ask them to share meals on this trip. Maybe by the next trip things will have settled down some, but for now, why not just make it as easy on everyone as you can.

The Beach Bears said:

first off, congratulations on your newest addition!! now on to business... it seems to me it may be more important to ensure that your 6 year old doesn't feel like she's "losing out" on things because of her new sister. and for the 5 year old, you don't want her to feel like she's imposing on her new big sister. i'd just splurge on the 2 meals, hopefully they'll pick different things and try to make games to get them to share, "I'll bet you girls that if i shut my eyes very tight the fairy godmother will come by and switch your lunches" princess: hopefully they'll fall for that, hook line and sinker, and all of the sudden, they'll be sharing without knowing it! it is, after all, a magicalal vacation!!! :wizard:

I think I would agree with Lowie, I would let them have thier own meals, it is reinforcing a very important message. Even if they are sharing more by then, it could start things off again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter