Shoe Fitting Suggestions

alisigns

Can't wait to See Mickey!
Hey all! So as I begin my journey, I have heard from a lot of people about the importance of being fitted properly for running shoes. I think this is super important, especially because I have bunions that I was born with. However, I live on a small island in Southeast Alaska and we don't have a store that would do that. What would you suggest for ways to choose the right shoe if you can't be fitted at a shoe store?

If I don't say it enough, you guy ROCK!!!! :)

I would still look at the running store websites, like Road Runner, or others. They'll explain the difference between being neutral, over or under pronation. Or google it. I found this by doing that http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/pronation

By looking at the photos, your shoes and having someone watch you walk barefoot if necessary, you should be able to figure out which of the three you fit into. Or you may know from how you walk if you notice it. I know I can walk behind someone and know they don't have proper shoes because you can see their foot/ankle rolling in or out, or you see more wear on the inside or outside of the shoe.

The running store sites should also help explain the shoes cushioning. Road Runner uses 5 levels I think, 1 being like the natural feel, 3 being mid and 5 being the most cushy. Using their site you can help figure out what you may want to try and then see if you can find it locally or you may need to order them. I would google the shoes to see who all sells them and find one that offers free returns, if you can get that in AK. I know I have bought shoes off Amazon when they are cheaper there.

I'm not sure how to help about the bunion issue as I'm not familiar with what you need to accommodate that. There should be information on toe box size, the rise in the heel etc. I would also look at various places for reviews because they will probably talk about the width/narrowness of the shoe etc.

Good luck finding shoes!

Do the bunions make your feet extra wide up in the toe box area? Altras have a lovely wide toe box that might help fit that, if it's an issue.

Thanks both of you! According to the Runner's World tool, I am an underpronator with a medium arch and I typically land with a heel strike. The bunion does mean that I need a bit wider of a toe box.

The tool recommended the brand 31 Sensation shoe. I've never looked at Altras, though, so I will give them a look. Thanks for that tip!

Some of the online stores have things to try and help you. Roadrunnersports has an online tool called shoedog that helps you identify the right shoe. I think runningwarehouse had something like that too. There use to be a tool called shoefitr that helped you see show volume. You can also try things like the paper towel test to measure your arch.

I would probably go with a store that has a good return policy,order a couple different pairs, then return the ones you don't like

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter