Shorts to be allowed in MDR?

Chilly

RIP Tag Fairy
I've just read on another forum that a TA has posted on their FB page that DCL will be changing their policy on shorts in the MDR. Anyone else heard this?

UPDATE: Apparently this change came into force on August 5th and the DCL website will be updated shortly.

I've just read on another forum that a TA has posted on their FB page that DCL will be changing their policy on shorts in the MDR. Anyone else heard this?
I hope not people are pushing the limits on dress code now. With the suggested dress code now people are wearing shorts already. But at least in most cases they are dressier shorts. If you allow shorts in the dress code then I wouldn't be surprised if people try to get away with wearing things like cutoffs and tshirts.

I hope not people are pushing the limits on dress code now. With the suggested dress code now people are wearing shorts already. But at least in most cases they are dressier shorts. If you allow shorts in the dress code then I wouldn't be surprised if people try to get away with wearing things like cutoffs and tshirts.

It'll be bathing suits. I agree, don't lower the bar. Unless they're willing to actually enforce it and turn people away.

I have to admit I was frustrated in May when we took our first cruise. I fussed over buying clothing for dh and children that would comply with the dress code only to arrive to find the majority of passengers wearing whatever they felt like. It really doesn't concern me what other people are wearing, I just wish that disney would follow the policy they created. I don't mind dressy shorts in the MDR. Most of the people that can afford a disney cruise dress half decent anyway.

We are booked on the 7 day cruise on the fantasy and I doubt I will go out and purchase several hundred dollars worth of clothing for the formal night. We can eat at flo's or cabanas that evening. I would rather spend that money on an excursion that we will all remember for years to come.

Apparently this change came into force on August 5th and the DCL website will be updated shortly.

You won't get into Palo with shorts or jeans on.

Not even for brunch. We had a brunch scheduled for our last sea day. I was down to my jeans so I wore them and a dress shirt to Palo and was turned away.

People need to loosen up, why does your enjoyment depend on what others are wearing to dinner? Seems so superficial to me, just enjoy the restaurant , service, and food. If it really bothers you that people are wearing shorts go sail Cunard or something :)

Apparently this change came into force on August 5th and the DCL website will be updated shortly.

I hope DCL enforces it and keeps some kind of standard. Shorts are ok as long as its something semi nice along with a decent top like a polo shirt. If DCl doesn't enforce it then the standards will get lower.

UPDATE: Apparently this change came into force on August 5th and the DCL website will be updated shortly.

I saw this FB posting as well and if its true I have mixed feeling about it. I guess we will just wait and see.

People need to loosen up, why does your enjoyment depend on what others are wearing to dinner? Seems so superficial to me, just enjoy the restaurant , service, and food. If it really bothers you that people are wearing shorts go sail Cunard or something :)

you're missing the point.....we're all shorts and t-shirt people when the time is right. However, I believe, the resistance to shorts at dinner stems from the whole Disney experience/cruise experience thing.

That is, we paid a premium for this cruise...we would like to eat in a (even if its pretend) civilized environment which reflects our visions of that cruise. That is, just as we expect a different shopping experience at Walmart than we do at Tiffany, we expect more from a Disney cruise.

Sooooo with the cruise:....it IS a slippery slope. Make no mistake. The dress code has often been violated (and nobody was hurt) but the general atmosphere was more genteel.

IF you allow shorts soon the cut-offs and bathing suits will follow....just because people have $$ to pay for a Disney cruise doesn't mean that they can go out and buy some brains, manners, or class.

at least. that's the way I heeeeard it....(obscure cultural reference there ;))

So what...allowing short is now the "gateway" to people wearing bathing suits and tank tops? Give me a break.

I've been wearing shorts...not cutoffs...and a collared shirt, or sometimes a Hawaiian shirt, to the MDR's since my first cruise.

Sorry if my choice of attire isn't up to YOUR specifications, but I'm on MY vacation.

Deal with it.

:thumbsup2

I have a dream that we can travel with just carry on and this is a big help.

But I did just buy a skirt for my daughter that she will never wear now.:confused:

Now if they would open up Topsiders/Cabanas every night for dinner it would be perfect. It is nice to just eat when you want , not your assigned time, especially the first night.

what a great change!

I'm on vacation - on a kid's boat - a nice pair of shorts and a collared shirt should suffice for the dinner provided in the MDR. Palo and Remy? yes, dress slacks, shirt, jacket and dress shoes should certainly apply (is a tie necessary? Iwould think "resort casual" should apply)

and as others have said, my enjoyment comes from my family and the food - not what some guy or gal three tables over has the audacity to wear.

.... now let me find my fedora and cufflinks for my elegant flight experience to MCO....

I hope DCL enforces it and keeps some kind of standard. Shorts are ok as long as its something semi nice along with a decent top like a polo shirt. If DCl doesn't enforce it then the standards will get lower.

DCL will not enforce if Sally's shorts are too short or if Tom's t-shirt isn't dressy enough. They just will not get into that argument, so they changed the rule so that the rule fits what is happening, which is basically that anything that covers your bathing suit on the bottom is okay, and anything with a sleeve is okay on top.

Nancy

How hard is it to bring a pair of pants? Really... they take up that much room?

I think lowering the official standards will give the whole "It is my vacation and I do what I want" crowd a new bar to limbo under.

I don't know about you... but I am not really interested in seeing booty shorts and butt cheeks at my dinner nor do I want to have my dining companions' armpit hair with deodorant chunks on full view... think about it... do you REALLY want some exposed butt squeezing by your table? Gives new meaning to buttered buns :rotfl2:...

I don't care about kids in nice shorts... or even adults sneaking in now with nice shorts and a shirt... but I think they are asking for trouble by lowering dress code standard officially...

How hard is it to bring a pair of pants? Really... they take up that much room?

I think lowering the official standards will give the whole "It is my vacation and I do what I want" crowd a new bar to limbo under.

I don't know about you... but I am not really interested in seeing booty shorts and butt cheeks at my dinner nor do I want to have my dining companions' armpit hair with deodorant chunks on full view... think about it... do you REALLY want some exposed butt squeezing by your table? Gives new meaning to buttered buns :rotfl2:...

I don't care about kids in nice shorts... or even adults sneaking in now with nice shorts and a shirt... but I think they are asking for trouble by lowering dress code standard officially...

Right...because anyone who views it as "my vacation" is certainly going to go out of their way to dress down as much as possible.

:sad2:

Lol, I never realized people had such strong feelings towards mdr dress code! Honestly, it wasn't til I came on here that I even realized shorts were not allowed. To me, 'cruise casual' is a skirt or shorts, and I have no clue if I've worn shorts in the mdr, nor am I concerned if I have. That being said, I don't own cutoffs, and what I wear always had a certain dressy-ness to it. DH and I live by the rule 'every time you leave the house is a chance to make an impression on the world', and I enjoy feeling a little dressed up for most of my vacation. All in all, everyone should relax, and dress comfortably, but respectfully.

I really hate that this is bring changed. I agree that people without manners and common sense have just been given the green light to push the dress code even further and the atmosphere in the MDRs is going to head downhill. There will always be those who challenge or defy the rules, and since Disney won't tell them no, I expect we will start seeing cutoff s and swim suits in short order.

Maybe disney should have the first dinner seating be a more 'casual' ( NOT sloppy or inappropriate) and the second seating 'semi formal to formal' and that way people can chose which experience they would prefer.

Right...because anyone who views it as "my vacation" is certainly going to go out of their way to dress down as much as possible.

:sad2:

You basically said as much in your previous post... no interest in sniping... but YOU said you already break the rules or dress code guidelines of no shorts because that is what you want to do because it is your vacation... and BTW you are by no means the first (or last) person on these boards to take that position... so umm yeah I think that it is true... lower the standards more (nice shorts are ok) and folks will dress down more... seems pretty logical to me :confused3 ... like I said I don't care if you wear nice shorts... MY OPINION is that I think if you lower the bar, more people will go under it ... and I personally just don't want to be confronted by butt cheeks sliding by my table while I am eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter