• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shorts to be allowed in MDR?

many of the lines have cut corners on food offerings the last few years. What we experienced in MDR on an NCL Alaskan sailing was inedible food our 1st night aboard. we explained we couldn't even chew the steak and DS's chicken was dried out but server said 'it's all like that':sad2:. We didn't return and paid OOP the rest of the week for decent food. Oddly the buffet & chicken wings in the lounge were very good.:confused3

No different than on DCL when our head server tried to tell us that all of the meat was dry "for our protection".

I really enjoyed the anytime dining on Carnival and prefer it to set dining times. My parents prefer to always have the same table and eat at the same time though. On DCL the 3 of us all compromise (we have the same set time which my parents like but I don't but we have the rotational dining rooms which none of us are a big fan of).

Just a thought on this topic

With the old rules when cruising in warm climates women can dress appropriately to meet the temperature of the day, for example options are shorter dresses, sleeveless dresses, super lightweight materials etc. and still look very elegant and dressy and be comfortable in a warmer climate.

Men on the other hand are limited to pants and a dress shirt, and in many cases a jacket. Materials have come a long ways, especially of late, but it is still a mode of dress that does not favor a tropical climate. I always changed out of the dressy clothes after if we could before the shows so I didn’t get too warm.

This might allow men to dress more climate appropriate now. I wonder what buisness attire is in tropical climates, does anyone know?

Just food for thought

cgolf

Since when is it illegal to go through a yellow light?

It can be, at least in Virginia - I got a ticket for doing it once.

§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.

A. Signals by traffic lights shall be as follows:

Steady red indicates that moving traffic shall stop and remain stopped as long as the red signal is shown, except in the direction indicated by a steady green arrow.

Green indicates the traffic shall move in the direction of the signal and remain in motion as long as the green signal is given, except that such traffic shall yield to other vehicles and pedestrians lawfully within the intersection.

Steady amber indicates that a change is about to be made in the direction of the moving of traffic. When the amber signal is shown, traffic which has not already entered the intersection, including the crosswalks, shall stop if it is not reasonably safe to continue, but traffic which has already entered the intersection shall continue to move until the intersection has been cleared.

No different than on DCL when our head server tried to tell us that all of the meat was dry "for our protection".

The DCL contract you agree to, paragraph 18:

"THE CARRIER DOES NOT EXPRESSLY OR IMPLIEDLY WARRANT, AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY AS TO, (a) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR SEAWORTHINESS OF THE VESSEL AND (b) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR MERCHANTABILITY OF ANY FOOD OR DRINK PROVIDED ON BOARD THE VESSEL."

As a condition of cruising you have to agree that Disney doesn't have to provide a working ship or edible food.

"THE CARRIER DOES NOT EXPRESSLY OR IMPLIEDLY WARRANT, AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY AS TO, (a) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR SEAWORTHINESS OF THE VESSEL AND (b) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR MERCHANTABILITY OF ANY FOOD OR DRINK PROVIDED ON BOARD THE VESSEL."

As a condition of cruising you have to agree that Disney doesn't have to provide a working ship or edible food.

They sure do know how to cover their butts.

It reminds me of buying a new car and then having them try to sell you the extended warranty. If they have confidence in their product, they don't need to sell another warranty....or have legal clauses in the contract.

Since when is it illegal to go through a yellow light?

I have a couple of friends who are cops, one Highway Patrol. They've said that they base the decision about whether to pull someone over on whether the driver had to accelerate to make it through the yellow light.

We know what the law says....but that's what the cops say.

Touche.

People need to loosen up, why does your enjoyment depend on what others are wearing to dinner? Seems so superficial to me, just enjoy the restaurant , service, and food. If it really bothers you that people are wearing shorts go sail Cunard or something :)

Amen to that! I'm pretty nonchalant about the revision of dress codes. I still dress up for dinner (my 3rd DCL vacay on the Dream will come in more than 2 weeks anyways) - slacks, dresses, and the like, but don't really care about others taking the new revisions in.

The things I expect on a cruise, Disney or not, are the qualities of food, service, and amenities, much less how people would dress and how I feel about it (again, nonchalant even if sticking to dresses and slacks).

you're missing the point.....we're all shorts and t-shirt people when the time is right. However, I believe, the resistance to shorts at dinner stems from the whole Disney experience/cruise experience thing.

That is, we paid a premium for this cruise...we would like to eat in a (even if its pretend) civilized environment which reflects our visions of that cruise. That is, just as we expect a different shopping experience at Walmart than we do at Tiffany, we expect more from a Disney cruise.

Sooooo with the cruise:....it IS a slippery slope. Make no mistake. The dress code has often been violated (and nobody was hurt) but the general atmosphere was more genteel.

IF you allow shorts soon the cut-offs and bathing suits will follow....just because people have $$ to pay for a Disney cruise doesn't mean that they can go out and buy some brains, manners, or class.

at least. that's the way I heeeeard it....(obscure cultural reference there ;))

Agreed!

For me is simple. I have only space for one in my luggage. Is either my pirate custome or a suit for dinner. I go to dinner in shorts, you figure which one made it to my luggage :P. Don't like my nice shorts?, don't look at me. pirate:

I really enjoyed the anytime dining on Carnival and prefer it to set dining times. My parents prefer to always have the same table and eat at the same time though. On DCL the 3 of us all compromise (we have the same set time which my parents like but I don't but we have the rotational dining rooms which none of us are a big fan of).

and you kept a straight face? :lmao: what's scary about that comment is it sounds as though it was rehearsed.

we too enjoy anytime dining but I don't see how that would translate well with DCL's rotational dining unless they would designate one dining room.:scratchin

I care less about clothing than I do behavior. As long as its somewhat tasteful, it's vacation. Relax. Folks need to care more about lack of manners. If the kids are buck wild and rude, you won't have to look far to see where it's coming from.

Just catching the last few tidbits and the topic. Everyone get mad at me now. It is a cruise for your kids and family to enjoy. I don't feel like dressing up every night for dinner. I don't want my kids getting all dressed up and complaining. A nice pair of shorts or capris for me and nice shorts for hubby is fine. Grow up people. It is just a disney cruise. Do you dress up at the Disney restaurants at the park?? Do you get dressed up for breakfast and lunch on the cruise??? They have a formal night. Enjoy that. By all means my family and I will look presentable but I don't want to have to dress up!

One more thing. I don't think Disney would have changed this if the majority of people would not approve of this.

I care less about clothing than I do behavior. As long as its somewhat tasteful, it's vacation. Relax. Folks need to care more about lack of manners. If the kids are buck wild and rude, you won't have to look far to see where it's coming from.

I couldn't agree more with this statement!! I want my dinner companions to be polite and interesting. My experience would be far more impacted by a rude person than one wearing shorts.

Just catching the last few tidbits and the topic. Everyone get mad at me now. It is a cruise for your kids and family to enjoy. I don't feel like dressing up every night for dinner. I don't want my kids getting all dressed up and complaining. A nice pair of shorts or capris for me and nice shorts for hubby is fine. Grow up people. It is just a disney cruise. Do you dress up at the Disney restaurants at the park?? Do you get dressed up for breakfast and lunch on the cruise??? They have a formal night. Enjoy that. By all means my family and I will look presentable but I don't want to have to dress up!

no need to stress, it's official, shorts in MDR are permissible.:)

used to be a boy was considered a 'grown up' when he graduated to long pants, interesting how fashion continues to evolve. As others have posted as long as everybody is respectful of their fellow passengers and follows whatever dress & conduct codes the respective line indicates, it's all good.

Just read in local school's newsletter that they are planning on enforcing the fingertip length on shorts/skirts unless leggings are worn, glad I don't have that job.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter