Shorts to be allowed in MDR?

I was responding to the person who said people could just wear the same clothes they'd been wearing all day. Out of 1200 or so passengers onboard, I'm better that there would at least be 1/3 who just might actually do that.

That reminds me!!!!! We were on an extended cruise and there was this one man, probably somewhere in his late 60's, maybe early 70's....traveling alone, it appeared.
EVERY time we saw him, onboard, or walking in port, he had on the exact same thing.....slacks, button-down shirt, and a tweed/wool (I didn't get close enough to see for sure) suit coat. :scared: I can't even imagine what he must have smelled like at the end of the cruise.

Maybe he lost his luggage. Maybe he cleaned his clothes each night or every other day. Ah, poor guy. Or maybe he bought multiples of the same thing because he loved it! Some people don't smell / stink. I know people who don't even have to wear deodorant. They never stink.

Maybe he lost his luggage. Maybe he cleaned his clothes each night or every other day. Ah, poor guy. Or maybe he bought multiples of the same thing because he loved it! Some people don't smell / stink. I know people who don't even have to wear deodorant. They never stink.

I know....we actually did think of all those other possibilities. And it was sad.
But we also kind of wondered, if he had lost his luggage, wouldn't he have at least bought another shirt? Or not worn the jacket out in the heat? We're talking about being in St Kitts and the far southern Caribbean....I was MELTING in a tank top and shorts.

You don't roll your clothes to pack?? They actually don't get too wrinkled when you roll them! Saves space too!
I don't know why, but packing with my clothing rolled drives me crazy. I tried it once and I hated it. It didn't have anything to do with how the clothes looked when I unrolled them. It had a lot to do with how they looked in the suitcase, all rolled up LOL. Maybe it was some OCD tendencies coming out, I don't know, but it really bugged me. :scared: :confused3

just to address some previous posts.......

People did not have the right to wear shorts in the MDR for dinner (do now), and smokers do not have the right to smoke on their verandah now. The only reason folks were even allowed to wear shorts is because DCL let it go. If DCL wanted to force the issue, follks that were ENTITLED to wear shorts would have been turned away. Instead, with DCL being passive, others decide instead of honoring DCL's wishes, some seem to pile on the bandwagon forcing DCL to address a change.

Are we, in our society, that no matter the issue we have the right to do what is not requested. Would you seriously go in someone elses house and light up a cigerette when you know they don't smoke. Would you even have the nerve when you know they don't smoke. By the way, that was just an example..... I am aware most of us don't smoke.

To clarify!

We are not ENTITLED to go 4 over the speed limit, we are not ENTITLED to run a yellow light, we are not ENTITLED to leave our young children unsupervised in the pool area expecting other folks to watch our kids, we are not ENTITLED to have our 16-17 kids in the Adult areas because the act age appropriate. We are not ENTITLED to save seats. We are not ENTITLED to do a lot of things we do. We are not ENTITLED to talk loud to our neighbor in the theater when the performance in going on, and MOST of ALL we are not ENTITLED to have someone inform us we are not ENTITLED.

You don't like the rules, right letters, voice your opinion, spend your dollars elsewhere. You ARE ENTITLED to do that.

I was responding to the person who said people could just wear the same clothes they'd been wearing all day. Out of 1200 or so passengers onboard, I'm better that there would at least be 1/3 who just might actually do that.

That reminds me!!!!! We were on an extended cruise and there was this one man, probably somewhere in his late 60's, maybe early 70's....traveling alone, it appeared.
EVERY time we saw him, onboard, or walking in port, he had on the exact same thing.....slacks, button-down shirt, and a tweed/wool (I didn't get close enough to see for sure) suit coat. :scared: I can't even imagine what he must have smelled like at the end of the cruise.

We had a guy like that who would do church trips with us... But he had the biggest suitcase of anyone. We figured he had a whole lot of the same outfit packed because he never smelled. Well other than of the nasty cigars he insisted on smoking. THAT was gag worthy.

You don't roll your clothes to pack?? They actually don't get too wrinkled when you roll them! Saves space too!

My DH has a hard enough time packing his humongous size 15/16 shoes, let alone slacks on top of that!

We do this too, daughter learned it at camp. Saves a lot of space and we have had very few wrinkle issues. The dresses I have seen the DW and DD pack must be made of a material that doesn't wrinkle easy because to my knowledge they have never had any issues.

Cgolf

Its about time DCL loosened up their dress code. Now they just need to go to freestyle dining

I'm not sure that would work. There will lots people who want formal/dress up night in the more "formal" MDR (whichever one that is). And how would the AP show work? Run it every night? The Fantasy (and maybe the Magic) has 2 AP shows) And the menus - how would that work? As each MDR has it's own signature menu, and on the longer cruises there are night specific menus.

I think the freestyle/open dining plans would work best with just one MDR.

Now they just need to go to freestyle dining

Because that's worked SO WELL for NCL. All I see in reviews is people complaining about the freestyle service and food forcing them to pay an up charge for specialty restaurants.

That said, DCL does have freestyle dining. It's called Cabanas/Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet, the quick service on the pool deck, and room service. All included with no upcharge!

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Because that's worked SO WELL for NCL. All I see in reviews is people complaining about the freestyle service and food forcing them to pay an up charge for specialty restaurants.

That said, DCL does have freestyle dining. It's called Cabanas/Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet, the quick service on the pool deck, and room service. All included with no upcharge!

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

I see reviews both positive and negative. I like the Freestyle dining. I like just walking down to the restaurant whenever I'm ready. I don't like rushing to get ready for a specific seating time, and then standing outside in a crowd of people, waiting for the doors to open.

I don't think it would work on Disney anyway, because their dining is a "show".

Quality of food is impossible to determine by reading reviews, because everyone's tastes are different. I don't happen to particularly like the food on Disney. I think both NCL and Carnival offer more choices in the main dining rooms.
And no one FORCES anyone to pay for an upsell restaurant. That's a choice made by an individual.

I stayed at an all-inclusive last summer, not one of the more "American" ones like Sandals...this one was owned by Brazilians. It was gorgeous.....everything about it was SO wonderful.....but the food was not geared toward American tastes, so we really didn't enjoy it all that much. But we didn't starve, and we didn't complain, and we didn't go off property to pay more for a meal elsewhere.
We chalked it up to one week of experiencing something different.

When you travel, you have to accept the fact that you won't be eating the way you do at home.

I liked the freestyle dining on NCL. We went on an Alaskan cruise in 2007 on the Pearl. I thought the main dining room food was better than Disney's. Also it worked great with dress because one dining room was casual at dinner and the other was more formal. We even got the same servers for several meals because we asked which restaurant they would be in each meal and would request them.

We had a good experience with dining on NCL within the past 6 months on 2 cruises.

Cagney's was like Palo or better for similar up charge. There seemed to be lots of choices. We only ate one meal in a regular main dining room. No wait to be seated, decent food and service. On ships with the Haven, the included Haven restaurant (on Breakaway for us) was fantastic!

I liked the freestyle dining on NCL. We went on an Alaskan cruise in 2007 on the Pearl. I thought the main dining room food was better than Disney's. Also it worked great with dress because one dining room was casual at dinner and the other was more formal. We even got the same servers for several meals because we asked which restaurant they would be in each meal and would request them.

many of the lines have cut corners on food offerings the last few years. What we experienced in MDR on an NCL Alaskan sailing was inedible food our 1st night aboard. we explained we couldn't even chew the steak and DS's chicken was dried out but server said 'it's all like that':sad2:. We didn't return and paid OOP the rest of the week for decent food. Oddly the buffet & chicken wings in the lounge were very good.:confused3

jcemom - i'm not in the rolled camp either. DH from years in the military can pack a week's worth of gear that way in a carryon, but it's crazy heavy. We have a large garment bag and use it as a piece of checked luggage when cruising. Dinner-wear (and pirate costumes when on DCL:)) goes in individual dry cleaner bag and nothing is ever wrinkled when we arrive. I don't pack khakis for DH, but lighter weight dress pants/tommy bahama shirts and yes I do include a suit for him elegant night.

At least now those who want to wear shorts are officially permitted and guests have more options. There is no one way to enjoy a cruise. It is up to DCL to step up to the plate to make sure their suggestions are adhered to at this point. I never did understand Disney's methodology of making so many rules then selectively enforcing them.

My family enjoys fashion, including dressing for dinner when cruising, and will continue to do so in the future:goodvibes. Was surprised my adult son, who will be on our upcoming cruise, called me after reading this change in this boards daily email. He was worried we wouldn't be getting 'dressed up' especially for a family photo, I told him we were still rolling large.;)

Justacruiser said:
just to address some previous posts.......

People did not have the right to wear shorts in the MDR for dinner (do now), and smokers do not have the right to smoke on their verandah now. The only reason folks were even allowed to wear shorts is because DCL let it go. If DCL wanted to force the issue, follks that were ENTITLED to wear shorts would have been turned away. Instead, with DCL being passive, others decide instead of honoring DCL's wishes, some seem to pile on the bandwagon forcing DCL to address a change.

Are we, in our society, that no matter the issue we have the right to do what is not requested. Would you seriously go in someone elses house and light up a cigerette when you know they don't smoke. Would you even have the nerve when you know they don't smoke. By the way, that was just an example..... I am aware most of us don't smoke.

To clarify!

We are not ENTITLED to go 4 over the speed limit, we are not ENTITLED to run a yellow light, we are not ENTITLED to leave our young children unsupervised in the pool area expecting other folks to watch our kids, we are not ENTITLED to have our 16-17 kids in the Adult areas because the act age appropriate. We are not ENTITLED to save seats. We are not ENTITLED to do a lot of things we do. We are not ENTITLED to talk loud to our neighbor in the theater when the performance in going on, and MOST of ALL we are not ENTITLED to have someone inform us we are not ENTITLED.

You don't like the rules, right letters, voice your opinion, spend your dollars elsewhere. You ARE ENTITLED to do that.

Since when is it illegal to go through a yellow light?

Since when is it illegal to go through a yellow light?

I don't know that it's illegal, but it's a judgment call.

Little story - my mom was driving down the street, the light turned yellow, she put the brake on and stopped, and got rear-ended.

A month or so after getting her car back from the repair shop, again driving down the street, light turned yellow, in her head a little voice said "If you stop, you'll get hit", so she went through, and was stopped by a cop. She got a ticket for that one.

And, no kidding, a bit later, she's driving down the street, light turns yellow, her little voice in her head says "If you stop, you'll get hit (big pain in the neck), if you go on you'll get a ticket". She opted for the ticket (it was cheaper) and went through. Yep, she got another ticket. But this time she asked the cop, what she should do. His reply, stick to streets that don't have lights. :confused3

Deleted, I shouldn't try to be funny when tired, end up writing dumb;)

To the topic at hand, I do wear shorts to work, but will probably still end up wearing pants to dinner after thinking about it for a few days. Not sure why other than it feels right to me. I really don't care what others wear, as long as it is not inappropriate, even then I probably would not notice. I try to sit so I don't face the mass of people if at all possible.

So I may be in my own category here, but I could give a hoot about the policy change, but will still dress decent. I wouldn't mind dropping the formal night though, a the only way that I can tie a tie (once or twice a year for DCL cruise) is with an ipod app helping me out and even then it takes about ten minutes to get it close to right:rotfl:

cgolf

Deleted, I shouldn't try to be funny when tired, end up writing dumb;)

To the topic at hand, I do wear shorts to work, but will probably still end up wearing pants to dinner after thinking about it for a few days. Not sure why other than it feels right to me. I really don't care what others wear, as long as it is not inappropriate, even then I probably would not notice. I try to sit so I don't face the mass of people if at all possible.

So I may be in my own category here, but I could give a hoot about the policy change, but will still dress decent. I wouldn't mind dropping the formal night though, a the only way that I can tie a tie (once or twice a year for DCL cruise) is with an ipod app helping me out and even then it takes about ten minutes to get it close to right:rotfl:

cgolf

I really don't think there will be much change at all in the MDRs. Some people wore shorts, some people will continue to do so. Some people never dressed up for formal night, and I think they will continue to not dress up.

I will probably continue to do what I did on my prior cruises, and split the difference. I don't like getting too dressed up, but I have one lacey top that I wear on formal night. At AP and on pirate's night, I tend to be casual. I'm always hot, even in the MDR, so enjoy the meals and shows more if I'm in short sleeves and shorts.

Nancy

I've known this topic has been on the front page for what seems like weeks now, but this morning when I glanced at the front page, my tired eyes saw "Shots to be allowed in MDR."

Now, that would be a much more interesting discussion, and maybe help people loosen up about the shorts in the MDR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter