Shorts to be allowed in MDR?

Not to add any fuel to the fire here, but Fox News here in NY just reported that DCL just changed policy and is allowing shorts in the MDR now.....

Not to add any fuel to the fire here, but Fox News here in NY just reported that DCL just changed policy and is allowing shorts in the MDR now.....

Hubby and I just looked at each other and laughed when it came on.....he knows how much I am obsessed with DCL and I told him of this policy change last week...didn't phase him at all.....I just said now "I told you it was big news"!!! LOL!! Huge discussion on the Disboard about it.

MJ

I don't see why being able to pack shorts now would lighten the load in your suitcase. :confused3
Shorts and a top weigh the same as a skirt and top, or a sundress.

Jeans obviously weigh more than slacks do.....I'm just confused by the posts about less luggage.:confused:

Really? I thought you were kidding! ;):rotfl: Fox News is behind...they should be here to get the news first! :thumbsup2

I don't see why being able to pack shorts now would lighten the load in your suitcase. :confused3

Jeans obviously weigh more than slacks do.....I'm just confused by the posts about less luggage.:confused:

While I'm not completely onboard with the shorts thing, I do think it saves room in packing. Essentially instead of packing two outfits per day (shorts for day, skirt/blouse for dinner), you're only packing one perhaps. I have a feeling that many aren't packing their "dinner shorts" in addition to their other clothes!

What a funny thread! Everyone getting all up in arms over shorts!

Ha ha! My DH will be happy now to hear that he wont have to go out and buy a pair of pants that he will only wear once!

Ha ha! My DH will be happy now to hear that he wont have to go out and buy a pair of pants that he will only wear once!

My shorts are in the suitcase as we speak. Too late the british legs are coming lol. Be afraid be very afraid.... Think of the song a whiter shade of pale...DCL could save a fortune on lighting. Just use my two anaemic skinny offerings hey presto the whole of Enchanted palace is a light...

My shorts are in the suitcase as we speak. Too late the british legs are coming lol. Be afraid be very afraid.... Think of the song a whiter shade of pale...DCL could save a fortune on lighting. Just use my two anaemic skinny offerings hey presto the whole of Enchanted palace is a light...

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

please don't take this at all mean spirited... just a curious New Englander used to cooler temps... your husband NEVER ever wears full pants?

please don't take this at all mean spirited... just a curious New Englander used to cooler temps... your husband NEVER ever wears full pants?

lol Yeah it gets cold here in WA too. But other than sporty pants (ie hiking pants), lululemon pants and jeans, no. He does not own a pair of khakis or slacks.

While I'm not completely onboard with the shorts thing, I do think it saves room in packing. Essentially instead of packing two outfits per day (shorts for day, skirt/blouse for dinner), you're only packing one perhaps. I have a feeling that many aren't packing their "dinner shorts" in addition to their other clothes!

I can see where some people (perhaps a lot of people) would do this, but UGH......after a long, hot, sticky day, who wants to wear the same clothes to dinner that they've had on all day????:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

I can't imagine not NEEDING to take a shower and put clean clothes on for dinner.
And they say the smokers smell bad...........:sad2::sad2::sad2:

I can see where some people (perhaps a lot of people) would do this, but UGH......after a long, hot, sticky day, who wants to wear the same clothes to dinner that they've had on all day????:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

I can't imagine not NEEDING to take a shower and put clean clothes on for dinner.
And they say the smokers smell bad...........:sad2::sad2::sad2:

Agree with you...but maybe they've spent most of the day in a swimsuit and changed/showered and put on shorts for afternoon/evening. Or maybe they spent the day doing inside activities on the ship. I don't know. :) While I won't wear shorts at dinner, I can see how it would lighten your packing.

I find all the arguments brought forth by the folks who are vehemently against this dress code change, invalid.

1. "Slippery slope argument -- now shorts then what? naked people!": this very argument has been made about integrating schools, gay marriage, civil rights, women rights and so forth. It simply holds no water and it's purely hypothetical and biased.

2. "Economic Status Argument -- if you are on a cruise, you sure can afford to dress up": this is one of the wrongest arguments and based on a biased axiom because it assumes that choice of attire is correlated to socio-economic status. It further assumes that if such is the case that you cannot afford formal clothing for you and your family, you shouldn't be on a cruise to begin with.

3. "Manners and principles argument -- if you don't dress according to loose, unenforced rules, you lack manners and character": this is the classic pot calling the kettle black. Passing judgement on other's manners and principles when they have no moral basis themselves to do so.

4. "The tradition argument -- people have always dressed up in cruise ships MDRs, so you must partake on that tradition": this is not wrong per se, but it denies change and progress that are a fundamental part of dynamic societies.

5. "Denial of privilege argument -- now that people can wear shorts, what am I going to do with all the expensive outfits I bought for our cruise?" This argument is entirely based on the assumption that just because other's might choose to dress casually, it somehow affects the way you were planning to dress, and that's a fallacy. Last time I checked, DCL hasn't prohibited the use of formalwear in their MDRs. If you enjoy dressing up to the nines, you can continue to do so to your heart's content.
:cool1::thumbsup2:cheer2:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post. CASE CLOSED!!

I think at least for the men and boys traveling this would save packing space. The DW would be very concerned if I had been packing dresses:rotfl:

I do agree though that many of the DW and DD's dresses are very lightweight and can be rolled up and wadded into the suitcase somewhere not taking up much space or adding much weight. For men though khaki pants do take up a bunch of space in the suitcase.

cgolf

I think at least for the men and boys traveling this would save packing space. The DW would be very concerned if I had been packing dresses:rotfl:

I do agree though that many of the DW and DD's dresses are very lightweight and can be rolled up and wadded into the suitcase somewhere not taking up much space or adding much weight. For men though khaki pants do take up a bunch of space in the suitcase.

cgolf

Rolled up and wadded?? Horrors!! :). (Picturing my cute summer skirts wadded up and stuffed between shoes or something!). But you're right. Men must have pants and likely a belt, real shoes and socks. Def takes more room!

It's probably because I'm a guy, but this seems pretty obvious to me. On a warm weather cruise, I pack a lot of shorts, but I also pack a several pairs of pants for dinner to comply with the dress code.

I haven't really decided whether the dress code change is going to affect the way I dress for dinner, but assuming it does... there would be no need to pack pants at all (except maybe one pair for travelling to/from home). The result is lighter luggage/less luggage/more room for souvenirs.

Rolled up and wadded?? Horrors!! :). (Picturing my cute summer skirts wadded up and stuffed between shoes or something!). But you're right. Men must have pants and likely a belt, real shoes and socks. Def takes more room!

You don't roll your clothes to pack?? They actually don't get too wrinkled when you roll them! Saves space too!

My DH has a hard enough time packing his humongous size 15/16 shoes, let alone slacks on top of that!

It's probably because I'm a guy, but this seems pretty obvious to me. On a warm weather cruise, I pack a lot of shorts, but I also pack a several pairs of pants for dinner to comply with the dress code.

I haven't really decided whether the dress code change is going to affect the way I dress for dinner, but assuming it does... there would be no need to pack pants at all (except maybe one pair for travelling to/from home). The result is lighter luggage/less luggage/more room for souvenirs.

I was thinking more of the women....but khaki's don't really take up a whole lot more space.

I don't know....it just seems that cruising used to be a nice change from the norm. A chance to dress up and be treated royally....and a good time to work with the kids on proper etiquette.
But I guess I forget that a lot of working people have to "dress up" every day, so it really wasn't all that special for them.

Agree with you...but maybe they've spent most of the day in a swimsuit and changed/showered and put on shorts for afternoon/evening. Or maybe they spent the day doing inside activities on the ship. I don't know. :) While I won't wear shorts at dinner, I can see how it would lighten your packing.

I was responding to the person who said people could just wear the same clothes they'd been wearing all day. Out of 1200 or so passengers onboard, I'm better that there would at least be 1/3 who just might actually do that.

That reminds me!!!!! We were on an extended cruise and there was this one man, probably somewhere in his late 60's, maybe early 70's....traveling alone, it appeared.
EVERY time we saw him, onboard, or walking in port, he had on the exact same thing.....slacks, button-down shirt, and a tweed/wool (I didn't get close enough to see for sure) suit coat. :scared: I can't even imagine what he must have smelled like at the end of the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter