Should Boxing Day be a US holiday?

Should Boxing Day Be A U.S. Holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Also Yes

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I like working the day after Christmas for some inexplicable reason, perhaps a character flaw

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other (because there must always be an other)

Votes: 21 40.4%

• Total voters
The US government given number is 11 holidays.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/federal-holidays/#url=2024

I don't know what tvguy is talking about with presidential elections. There's no federal day off around elections.

Not too long ago, during Covid, several norms of workplace and employment were shaken up. And we as society learned to adapt. I think there's more that can be done for the employees. And gen z and millennials are leading the way, in their own 'we're not gonna take it anymore ' ways.

Corporate and fat cat greed is still very much in play. There's definitely more to be done in the favor of workers.
Presidential election day is a holiday in 13 states. Inauguration day is a holiday for Federal workers in Washington D.c. ONLY.

https://www.federaltimes.com/federal-oversight/2022/10/24/is-election-day-a-federal-holiday/

So you can't come up with an answer. Let's say everyone gets 30 days off. Plus there are 12 holidays. Five people could EASILY staff a place requiring four people to be "open" AND everyone gets their 30 days off (along with some of the holidays). BUT, you can't allow two people to take the same day off.

I think punishing someone for using one of their benefits should be illegal. BUT, if you tell Suzy she can't take off between Christmas and NY because Joe and Adam are already off, and she takes off anyway, so you punish her, that SHOULDN'T be illegal. Do you disagree?
There is no answer because I have never seen or heard of a totally fair way to administer time off.
My wife worked in a Union Job, and the contract specified vacation choices by seniority. She worked in the same job for 42 years, and was the senior person for 30 of those years. The ONLY vacation time she used her seniority for was Christmas week. She worked all 10 other holidays during the year. It frequently was controversial, but the person complaining always seemed to be someone who expected to get ALL 11 holidays off. My wife even offered to take Thanksgiving week off instead, but that wasn't acceptable because the person complaining felt they should be able to get BOTH Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks off.

There is no answer because I have never seen or heard of a totally fair way to administer time off.
My wife worked in a Union Job, and the contract specified vacation choices by seniority. She worked in the same job for 42 years, and was the senior person for 30 of those years. The ONLY vacation time she used her seniority for was Christmas week. She worked all 10 other holidays during the year. It frequently was controversial, but the person complaining always seemed to be someone who expected to get ALL 11 holidays off. My wife even offered to take Thanksgiving week off instead, but that wasn't acceptable because the person complaining felt they should be able to get BOTH Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks off.
I agree, SOMEONE will think whatever system is "unfair". That doesn't mean it is though.

IMO, it's "first come, first served". Whoever gets their request in first gets the days. If it's a tie, THEN you look at seniority. I managed a department of two dozen with this policy for five years with this policy, and never had a complaint. And yes, some people always took the week between Christmas and NY off.

If that becomes an issue, you can set something like "you can only request days within 'x' amount of days." I would think a year would be enough. So if you want Christmas 2024 off, you could request it yesterday, but not before.

If it's still an issue, you can set something like "if you had a holiday off in 2023, you have to work it the following year". This is getting more difficult to manage.

I'm not sure what could be considered "unfair" about any of that.

I agree, SOMEONE will think whatever system is "unfair". That doesn't mean it is though.

IMO, it's "first come, first served". Whoever gets their request in first gets the days. If it's a tie, THEN you look at seniority. I managed a department of two dozen with this policy for five years with this policy, and never had a complaint. And yes, some people always took the week between Christmas and NY off.

If that becomes an issue, you can set something like "you can only request days within 'x' amount of days." I would think a year would be enough. So if you want Christmas 2024 off, you could request it yesterday, but not before.

If it's still an issue, you can set something like "if you had a holiday off in 2023, you have to work it the following year". This is getting more difficult to manage.

I'm not sure what could be considered "unfair" about any of that.
The last few years before my wife retired, the company and union agreed that to use your seniority for vacation time, your request had to be in by September 1 OF THE PREVIOUS YEAR. An employee hired after the first of the year thought that was unfair. Of course, she asked for Christmas week off the Friday before. Not sure many employers would have allowed such a late request for such a popular week.

The last few years before my wife retired, the company and union agreed that to use your seniority for vacation time, your request had to be in by September 1 OF THE PREVIOUS YEAR.

This is common for unions. Put in your requests for the following year by X date and then they are approved by seniority. All requests after X date are on a first come first serve basis.

Federal workers here, and DH and I worked today, and would have loved having it off! I actually had it scheduled off just in case, but then didn't need it.
I would much rather have some sort of holiday in March and/or April. It's a LOOOONG stretch from President's Day to Memorial Day with no holiday.

Sure but I don’t think it should be called Boxing Day. That’s like cultural appropriation- kind of - sort of - so get your own name for it
We do have a name for it. The Day After Christmas. :p I've never heard anyone in the US refer to it as Boxing Day, until Praying Colonel did.

In the US we have a separation of church and state, yet we also have a federal holiday that is a religious holiday. And most people expect to take the day before that holiday off already, so sure lets add a day to recover from the religious holiday as well.
For the record, I spent 30 years in the hotel industry and worked more holidays than not, at least until the last few years.
I tried calling a local county office today with a question I really need an answer to this year. My issue isn't something I've been putting off dealing with, it only came up last week. Turns out they've been closed since the 22nd. They are open Thursday and Friday this week and then closed again until the 3rd.

Sure but I don’t think it should be called Boxing Day. That’s like cultural appropriation- kind of - sort of - so get your own name for it

:confused3Sorry - I’m a little dense - are you making a joke? Because it’s a pretty weird thing to say if you’re not. As a “holiday”, December 26 is Boxing Day, or as has been mentioned, St. Stephan’s Day. Anybody on earth can observe it, just like anybody can observe Christmas without professing any ties to the religious significance. Hanukkah, Diwali, Kwanza...not my occasions exactly, but I doubt anybody would be offended if I wanted to share the festivities.

:confused3Sorry - I’m a little dense - are you making a joke? Because it’s a pretty weird thing to say if you’re not. As a “holiday”, December 26 is Boxing Day, or as has been mentioned, St. Stephan’s Day. Anybody on earth can observe it, just like anybody can observe Christmas without professing any ties to the religious significance. Hanukkah, Diwali, Kwanza...not my occasions exactly, but I doubt anybody would be offended if I wanted to share the festivities.
Yes it’s a joke. The American revolution and all that. Boxing Day name originated in UK and more commonly used in Commonwealth countries.

But then we appropriated Black Friday so I guess it’s an even swap.

Yes it’s a joke. The American revolution and all that. Boxing Day name originated in UK and more commonly used in Commonwealth countries.

But then we appropriated Black Friday so I guess it’s an even swap.
:laughing: They can have Black Friday back and I'll give them Boxing Day for free. No hard feelings - even though my ancestors on my paternal side fled New England for Upper Canada as United Empire Loyalists, after the Revolution.

In NL it is "2nd Christmas Day", we also call Easter Monday "2nd Easter Day".

Nowadays, they say we get an additional day off so we do not have to make choices where to spend Christmas. Many people here celebrate Day 1 with one side of the family, Day 2 with the other. Probably prevented a lot of family drama throughout the years.

(27th is also referred to as the 3rd Christmas Day 😉)

In NL it is "2nd Christmas Day", we also call Easter Monday "2nd Easter Day".

Nowadays, they say we get an additional day off so we do not have to make choices where to spend Christmas. Many people here celebrate Day 1 with one side of the family, Day 2 with the other. Probably prevented a lot of family drama throughout the years.

(27th is also referred to as the 3rd Christmas Day 😉)
Very similar in Ireland. Christmas Day is usually immediate family and then St Stephens Day is extended family or friends.
Also many people do the one side of the family Christmas Day and the other side St Stephens Day.

St Stephens Day food is usually Christmas Day leftovers. People make turkey sandwiches for visitors and turkey curry for main meal.

:laughing: They can have Black Friday back and I'll give them Boxing Day for free. No hard feelings - even though my ancestors on my paternal side fled New England for Upper Canada as United Empire Loyalists, after the Revolution.
Just curious @ronandannette , in regards to the A.R., do you know much about your ancestors participation in the Revolution in general? My genealogy thread has some tips on how to find out more if your interested (I have some recommended resources as well if your interested). If your ancestors helped the New England region pre-A.R. , you may be able to find out more about their life in general, if you were looking to do some research.

As a teacher it doesn’t matter to me because that day will always be part of our Christmas break.

However, and I can only speak for Texas not other states, there is NO rule saying there are days we have to take off. The state says how many minutes we must be in school for the year and it’s up to the district to create a schedule that best fits those it serves.
I’ve worked at 3 different school districts over the course of my 17 year career and having Labor Day off was hit or miss every year. Memorial Day I was never off FOR Memorial Day just as a day before semester exams the last week of school. I’ve never had MLK Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day or Presidents Day off.

Just curious @ronandannette , in regards to the A.R., do you know much about your ancestors participation in the Revolution in general? My genealogy thread has some tips on how to find out more if your interested (I have some recommended resources as well if your interested). If your ancestors helped the New England region pre-A.R. , you may be able to find out more about their life in general, if you were looking to do some research.
No, next to nothing, other than that they came from Connecticut to the part of what was then known as Quebec which is now Ontario. Generations later, my Grandfather made his own way West at the age of 12 and homesteaded in northern Alberta. I can't say any of us have ever been too interested in genealogy. And FWIW, the most fascinating aspect of that period, as it relates to Canada, is the emancipation of slaves under British protection and their migration into Nova Scotia. If you can access a TV mini-series called the Book of Negros, it is very informative and incredibly moving, but I guess we've digressed too far from Boxing Day here now...:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter