• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should This Woman Have Her Life Ruined Because She Posted a Stupid Photo on Her Own F

It would be interesting to cross reference this thread with the thread on schools' disciplining students for things posted online while not on school grounds or activities.
:teacher:
I would bet there would be a few contradictory posters.

I'm pretty sure that some of those here that think she should not lose her job were also on that school cyber bully thread, and thought the school was justified for punishing student online behavior even if the students posted outside of school or school activities.

I find that 'interesting'.

I find it interesting as well. I'm actually the opposite. I do think she should have been fired, and I do not think schools should be able to discipline students for things that happen (or are posted) outside of school. That's because your job is not mandatory. You don't have to work for a particular company and the company is not required to employ you. Because of that, I think a company can expect whatever they want of their employees outside of work hours. If the company wants to have a morals clause in the contract or a clothing store wants to require that employees only wear products from their own brand 24 hours a day, then they should be able to do that. If you don't want to abide by their rules then you can just get a job somewhere else.

Students at public schools don't have that choice. They (usually) can't just decide to go to a different public school. Public schools should not get to decide that they don't want to teach you because you don't wear the right clothes on the weekend. Public schools should absolutely have the right to enforce whatever rules they want to during school hours, but outside of school hours and events they should have no authority over the students. Private schools are a choice, however, and so I think they are more similar to employers. If you don't like their rules, don't go there, and if they think your behavior makes them look bad they can refuse to teach you.

Not-for-Profit companies rely on the donations from both the private/public sector.

Ms. Stone's actions have put a negative light on her company because she was working when this picture was taken. It was taken by a superior. Just a bad situation all around.

Freedom of Speech has been used a lot in this thread. It is going to be used both ways. Ms. Stone had her rights and so do all the people who are contacting her company and all the companies they work with.

I stated that she should be fired and I stand behind this, but I did not and will not join a Facebook page nor contact her employer. I agree this crosses the line. I don't think discussing it her is wrong. Once this story hit the major news stations I feel her fate was sealed.

Yes, its OK to make a mistake and face the consequences for it. Comparing her to a murder and thinking her life should be ruined is going further than that though.

First, I'm not thinking in such of extremes as you do. Yes, I used murder to express that saying sorry does not reverse ones action, nor it should eliminate the consequences for it.

Second, I don't approve creating page demanding her being fired too.

Third, if she got fired, so be it! The man that signs the check have his say so. It's meaningless if he was right or wrong - it's the way he wanted. Period.

In my opinion, this is between her and her employer and people ought to stay out of it. This is really no one else's business.

I see her as trying to do the opposite of the sign but it was poor judgment to post it. If her employer sees it as poor judgment that could harm the business then she might be justifiably let go.

And that service member was expressing themselves as well. Freedom of expression doesn't mean others can't disagree with you and voice that disagreement.

I can see both employees being fired. They opened the company up to bad publicity and by firing them it may redeem the company. To me, it is no different from firing someone who gets drunk at the hotel bar while on a company trip.

I truly wonder what her grandparents and family are thinking?

Does anyone know where she was standing when HER BOSS took the picture?

I think the BOSS should be FIRED also!

First, I'm not thinking in such of extremes as you do. Yes, I used murder to express that saying sorry does not reverse ones action, nor it should eliminate the consequences for it.

Second, I don't approve creating page demanding her being fired too.

Third, if she got fired, so be it! The man that signs the check have his say so. It's meaningless if he was right or wrong - it's the way he wanted. Period.

or woman. ;)

I think even things you do on your own time, if embarrassing to your employer, may be grounds for termination.

Personally, I think Michael Vick should have been banned-for-life from professional football. What he did, IMO, was a huge embarrassment and I would not have him on MY TEAM.

I work for a personal injury attorney. MOST of our clients are victims of car wrecks. If I got drunk and caused a car wreck, I'm sure it would make the news - citing my employers, too. I would probably be fired.

One of our district attorneys in our state filed bankruptcy. My boss thought that person should be fired. He said, "how can you stand up and put people in jail for committing crimes and NOT pay your own bills." Taking merchandise and services without paying for them is a crime.

There's my $0.02 and you get exactly what you pay for....

Ms. Stone's employer, the LIFE Foundation, has disabled veterans as clients, I believe an attorney could easily use the behavior of these two employees as an example of an atmosphere which is disdainful/disrespectful/uncaring of those same veterans, if an accident occurred. Unfortunately, in this highly litigious world, employees' actions reflect on their employer.

I was going to say no, she shouldn't get fired...then I saw the picture...

GIVE 'ER THE BOOT!

In my opinion, this is between her and her employer and people ought to stay out of it. This is really no one else's business.

I see her as trying to do the opposite of the sign but it was poor judgment to post it. If her employer sees it as poor judgment that could harm the business then she might be justifiably let go.

^^^Perfectly put.

*Nobody is saying what she did wasn't offensive. It was.
*Nobody is saying it isn't potential grounds for termination. It is.

But that is between her, her employer, and her employer's customers.

One small action should not loose a job for either of them. Come on lighten up she didn't commit murder she was just being daft. I suppose all of you who said yes have never ever done anything wrong in your lives. Where on earth did americans get this prudishness from?
Not anything this major.

No people just want to be offended, lose a job over something so minor????? Its turned into a baying mob who want blood because people just want to find offense in the behaviour of others while claiming to be perfect themselves.

Bolding is mine.

What she did is not minor. She left the people she should have been watching. As the parent of an autistic teen that will soon be an autistic adult, this woman used an appalling lack of judgement when she left them unattended. She is not the person that I want taking my son on a field trip. And if she did this, what else is she doing with those people? How often does she leave them unattended? How often is her judgement so bad? What happens if there is an emergency? Is she capable of making the right decision or will she make another appalling one? Yes, it may seem extreme to some of you to think this way but when you have a special needs child (adults are children too!) you HAVE to think this way. Someone left her in charge of their kid and she decided to go play. That is NOT acceptable. And THAT is why she should lose her job.

I find it interesting as well. I'm actually the opposite. I do think she should have been fired, and I do not think schools should be able to discipline students for things that happen (or are posted) outside of school. That's because your job is not mandatory. You don't have to work for a particular company and the company is not required to employ you. Because of that, I think a company can expect whatever they want of their employees outside of work hours. If the company wants to have a morals clause in the contract or a clothing store wants to require that employees only wear products from their own brand 24 hours a day, then they should be able to do that. If you don't want to abide by their rules then you can just get a job somewhere else.

Students at public schools don't have that choice. They (usually) can't just decide to go to a different public school. Public schools should not get to decide that they don't want to teach you because you don't wear the right clothes on the weekend. Public schools should absolutely have the right to enforce whatever rules they want to during school hours, but outside of school hours and events they should have no authority over the students. Private schools are a choice, however, and so I think they are more similar to employers. If you don't like their rules, don't go there, and if they think your behavior makes them look bad they can refuse to teach you.

This is exactly right. You stated my thoughts exactly.

To add to it, I am a professional in a small community. I am aware that anything I do that could reflect poorly on me and potentially my employer is probably not something that is wise to do.

Bolding is mine.

What she did is not minor. She left the people she should have been watching. As the parent of an autistic teen that will soon be an autistic adult, this woman used an appalling lack of judgement when she left them unattended. She is not the person that I want taking my son on a field trip. And if she did this, what else is she doing with those people? How often does she leave them unattended? How often is her judgement so bad? What happens if there is an emergency? Is she capable of making the right decision or will she make another appalling one? Yes, it may seem extreme to some of you to think this way but when you have a special needs child (adults are children too!) you HAVE to think this way. Someone left her in charge of their kid and she decided to go play. That is NOT acceptable. And THAT is why she should lose her job.

Where did she leave them?

One small action should not loose a job for either of them. Come on lighten up she didn't commit murder she was just being daft. I suppose all of you who said yes have never ever done anything wrong in your lives. Where on earth did americans get this prudishness from?

Prudishness? seriously. I see you aren't from here. Well to most of us who DO live here, find it extremely disrespectful. WEll I guess should say that I THINK that most people would find it disrespectful.

Prudishness? seriously. I see you aren't from here. Well to most of us who DO live here, find it extremely disrespectful.

I live here and I don't find it disrespectful (with FOUR grandparents buried in a National Military cemetery). I think people look for things to become outraged over and it's getting out of hand. Everyone is offended about something thing lately. So kindly speak for yourself and not the rest of (or even most of) us.

I live here and I don't find it disrespectful (with FOUR grandparents buried in a National Military cemetery). I think people look for things to become outraged over and it's getting out of hand. Everyone is offended about something thing lately. So kindly speak for yourself and not the rest of (or even most of) us.

Just because you don't find it disrespectful does not mean the rest, or even most, of us do not find it disrespectful. So kindly speak for yourself. Are you having a bad day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter