Should we even consider Knotts?

Knotts certainly isn't run down at all. Its a great park for those that love thrill rides such as big coasters. It also has some tamer rides for toddlers as well as river rapids ride, log flume ride etc. Its an old west themed park with actual old west buildings transplanted from ghost town around the country.

Many dislike most parks that aren't Disney or perhaps Universal. Knotts is a classic old fashioned family amusement park that reminds of days gone by.

Be sure to see the Peanuts ice skating show. Really fun! Knotts diner or take out is by far the best value if you love old fashioned fried chicken and fixings.

Only you can decide if you want to go to Knotts or have another day at DLR. Knotts haunted nights are not for kids. They have an age requirement of 16+ I think.

This. I frequent a few coaster forums and I have not got the impression from them that the park is run down. The coaster enthusiasts do get pretty excited about Screamscape though, so I'm thinking Knott's must do a pretty good job with that.

Is the not recommended ART bus the shuttle between the two that was recently announced?

ART 18 is the new route which is "not recommended" by me. However, it could be more convenient for those who are staying farther away from DLR. I'd like to hear from someone who did choose this route - especially to know where you board and disembark near KBF. From the route 18 map, the stop or stops appear to be at Harbor Blvd. and Crescent Ave., but I was there a couple of weeks ago and could only see an OCTA stop.

:confused:
In recent years, no ice skating show has been put on in late October at KBF.

Last time I was there, they only ran the Ice Skating show at Christmas time. In all honesty, there was no real entertainment at all and that is the majority of what I like. I also find Knott's to be too thrill ride heavy, I like some roller coasters, but definitely not the kind that they have, bring back Kingdom of the Dinosaurs (or something else in that space) and other family friendly attractions. For the most part Knott's has Kids Rides and Thrill rides, with very few that the entire family can enjoy together.

Furthermore, Knott's is definitely not accessible for everyone (i.e. those with disabilities end up waiting substantially longer than those without for virtually every ride, equal access means the wait times should average out to be about the same over the course of the day. Yes, some rides might be longer, some might be shorter, but on average it should be the same, otherwise you can't do the same number of attractions in the day as a non disabled guest can and that is not equal and being able to do more attractions in a day is also not equal, it is a two way street). In addition, Knott's requires proof of a disability, something which is not allowed to be asked for and I find it appalling that they would blatantly defy ADA, I can understand asking what kind of assistance is required, but not proof, based on the current law.

I have heard things have improved over the last couple of years, but I still refuse to pay good money to find out that I can't ride half the attractions that I would want to ride or to be turned away because I can't prove a disability, for example not being able to use stairs. I actually have a friend who was told by a Knott's employee that my friend chooses not to do stairs and that no accommodations would be made for them. This is despite the fact that she has pins in her knee and back issues, which are all documented and documentation was provided to the Knott's employee. Another friend in a wheelchair got a pass, but then only them and one person could use the accessible entrances and they had to get someone to give them a return time pass at every attraction, just getting this pass would sometimes take up to the length of the line and then they would have to wait to come back, then wait again to get someone's attention, meaning they would often have to wait 3 times the normal queue length. Obviously this does not make for equal access, so I strongly recommend against Knott's Berry Farm until these issues are corrected, as it is something I feel strongly about.

Without this issue, it is simply up to what you enjoy, if you enjoy the thrill rides, then Knott's is a good choice, but for the majority of the people who enjoy Disney, Knott's may not be a good choice, but you should know what the park is now. It is now very similar to Magic Mountain, with one or two more shows depending on the season.

Where do I catch the Metro 460? We are staying at the Fairfield Inn, it looks like there is a bus stop on Manchester, which I think is near the Hojo. We had a car the last time we were at DLR, so we are not familiar with using the metro.

See post 21 - the stop is marked F in the photo - for going to KBF, but when you return, you exit the bus at stop A.

Another point is that Soak City is actually quite nice. The kids love it.

Since Wild Rivers disappeared and Raging Waters still has a little too much degenerates, we find Soak City a good alternative.

The only problem is that Knotts is very bad at judging atypical crowds. DLR always knows when the local schools are on furlough and adjusts for it. Knotts is always surprised when a ton of kids show up on a weekday.

We went a few years ago to Knotts on a saturday during the halloween season. We had a great time. It was a busier than usual, but the trick or treat trail was a blast for the kids. They got candies and a snoopy watch. the rides are more thrilling that disney, and they have a really good chicken meal right at the gates. We usually spend 1 or 2 days at Knotts whenever we go on our Disney trips. We book through grayline and do the Knotts/Medieval times package.

NWT said:
We went a few years ago to Knotts on a saturday during the halloween season. We had a great time. It was a busier than usual, but the trick or treat trail was a blast for the kids. They got candies and a snoopy watch. the rides are more thrilling that disney, and they have a really good chicken meal right at the gates. We usually spend 1 or 2 days at Knotts whenever we go on our Disney trips. We book through grayline and do the Knotts/Medieval times package.

Thanks, I will check into that package!

Our 6 year old loved KBF.....he is a huge Snoopy fan....we went on a day in early June, unfortunately buses were unloading literally thousands of kids on end of year field trips! So, we splurged and purchased the fast pass wrist bands, we were able to avoid the school kids/crowds and ended up having a great time. The fried chicken is SO good! Also, the refillable Snoopy drink bottle is a great deal to use throughout the day! They do have a lot of thrill rides but my son was able to go on all of but one! Have fun!

CateinPhoenix said:
Our 6 year old loved KBF.....he is a huge Snoopy fan....we went on a day in early June, unfortunately buses were unloading literally thousands of kids on end of year field trips! So, we splurged and purchased the fast pass wrist bands, we were able to avoid the school kids/crowds and ended up having a great time. The fried chicken is SO good! Also, the refillable Snoopy drink bottle is a great deal to use throughout the day! They do have a lot of thrill rides but my son was able to go on all of but one! Have fun!

We decided to definitely go! I'm glad to hear your 6 yr old enjoyed it, my son will be turning 6 that weekend. How long did y'all stay? If you are there at park opening, should we expect to be there until it closes at 5?

How sad! Somebody mentioned that Knott's is all run down now? I'm 37 now, and grew up in The San Francisco area, and we would take a trip down to Disneyland and Knott's at least once or twice a year. We LOVED Knott's so much, it was such a great family park. That was back when they used to have the "Berry Tales" ride, before the Dinosaur ride replaced it. I have such happy memories of that place. We would always hit the park and have Mrs. Knott's chicken for dinner.
Other favorites included the log ride, the mine train ride, the stage coaches, and the train. They even used to have a show called "Diving Doggies" where dogs would dive into the dolphin pool.
My kids are really young now (4 and 17 months) and I was really looking forward to the day when they could go to Knott's, but if it's all run down now, that will be really sad. We live in Texas, but were planning a trip in early December to Disney and thought we would hit Knott's....now that might not be part of the plan, although we might go for the chicken dinner.

We go once a year and I don't think it's run down. It's not quite as little-kid oriented now, so more teens hang out there, but they are reasonably well-behaved from what we've seen. They are still making new rides and we didn't see any cleanliness problems. It feels more like Magic Mountain did in the 80's before the gangs took over. Teens that can't afford Disney passes hang out there instead.

How sad! Somebody mentioned that Knott's is all run down now? I'm 37 now, and grew up in The San Francisco area, and we would take a trip down to Disneyland and Knott's at least once or twice a year. We LOVED Knott's so much, it was such a great family park. That was back when they used to have the "Berry Tales" ride, before the Dinosaur ride replaced it. I have such happy memories of that place. We would always hit the park and have Mrs. Knott's chicken for dinner.
Other favorites included the log ride, the mine train ride, the stage coaches, and the train. They even used to have a show called "Diving Doggies" where dogs would dive into the dolphin pool.
My kids are really young now (4 and 17 months) and I was really looking forward to the day when they could go to Knott's, but if it's all run down now, that will be really sad. We live in Texas, but were planning a trip in early December to Disney and thought we would hit Knott's....now that might not be part of the plan, although we might go for the chicken dinner.

I would still go. It is not to the "Disney" standard, but there is still lots of fun things to do, and Camp Snoopy is lots of fun for the little ones. I find one day is enought though. And the last time I went, the Chicken dinner is still awesome!

How sad! Somebody mentioned that Knott's is all run down now?

Its not run down at all. Very fun park with many classic rides. The log flume, mine train, stage coaches, train etc. are all still there as good as ever. The Dino ride was closed several years ago. The chicken diner has continued to expand over the years as its popularity is quite high.

HollyL said:

Most of the feedback I've been getting has been positive! I have realistic expectations but we are excited to go! The reason my topic states should we consider it was based on our situation, plans and number of days. We are going on a Friday and following by a MHP, so it will be a long day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter