• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Show us your 2011 Fireworks shots!

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
I'll start.

5905640988_c2334016e8_z.jpg

5905085681_4f65d99285_z.jpg

5905084411_7df4285b54_z.jpg

5905084847_dc3a37219a_z.jpg

I set out to photograph the Evesham Twp. fireworks show.

Since it's trendy, I decided to dig in the old filter bag and drag out my neutral density filter .6 (-2 F stops) and slap it on my Nikon D60 w/18-55 kit lens.

By reducing the amount of light hitting the sensor you can keep the shutter open longer and catch more bursts.

I was working 2 cameras (D60 and D90) but I could only use my remote release for one camera (D90) and for the other I had to activate the shutter manually. I didn't realize that I would have to HOLD DOWN the shutter button for a bulb exposure if you didn't use the remote. (With the remote you click once for open and again for shut.)

To say that I had my hands full was an understatement. I like to think of this shoot as 2 cameras 1 brain!

Click on the pictures to get to flickr and then you can access the EXIF data

Fireworks Nikon D60 Neutral density 25 by Marlton Mom, on Flickr

I like the shape of this one. These fireworks shots remind me of flowers!

Fireworks Nikon D60 Neutral density 39 by Marlton Mom, on Flickr

This is a shot without the Neutral density Filter. You can't catch as many bursts but that may be a good thing....

Which style do you like? The Multiple Bursts with the ND filter or the 'plain' Jane ones like this original style one?..

Fireworks Nikon D90 Tokina 28 by Marlton Mom, on Flickr

I sure did miss the fireworks at Disney. These were launched quickly and all from the same spot. I was kind of sad because the artistry was missing and it was bang, bang, BANG!

Fireworks Nikon D90 Tokina 34 by Marlton Mom, on Flickr

Great pictures Janet and Marlton Mom

Marlton Mom, in these particular examples you can mark my vote for the D90 non-ND filter pics but they are all good.

Here are some examples of what 7+ hours of waiting, a 3 hour drive home and a lot of mental instability on my part got me.
(Fortunatley I have an understanding family)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Really beautiful pictures, everyone! :thumbsup2

I'd like to show you some of mine, but... I got talking to a fellow shutter bug down at the beach last night, an older gentleman who enthusiastically told me he was there to get fireworks shots with his new camera (a PEN!), but it became clear during our conversation he had no idea how. So I told him to use my tripod, set his camera up on it, showed him what to do, helped him get started, then went and joined my family and friends to sit back and enjoy the show.

The look on his face to see his shots and his profuse thanks was way more fulfilling to me than any shots I might have gotten - I've gotten plenty over the years, anyway. :laughing: As we were leaving I noticed a Purple Heart on his license plate. So glad to be able to "give back" to this guy!

Awesome shots everybody! Really inspiring work.

This was the first year I went out to try and shoot fireworks....here we go.....

SingleWeb.jpg

Burst1Web.jpg

Burst2Web.jpg

ColorWeb.jpg

Color2Web.jpg

LauncherWeb.jpg

Some great shots. What are the best settings to shoot FW's, and how do you determine what settings to use? Anyone brave enough to shoot w/out a tripod?

Hey capt445, make sure you enter one of your Disney shots in the weekly photo contest right here on this board.

Clearskies you had the best location and your captures are gorgeous! It was definitely worth the effort!

nice shots!
what are the steps to post a photo?
check out this video:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/WebmasterWill/videos/6/
For the most up to date info, check out the instructions on the photo hosting site that you will be using. From Flicker, the Disboards use BB code which you can just copy paste directly into your post from the menu that says "Grab the HTML/BBCode".

Really beautiful pictures, everyone! :thumbsup2

I'd like to show you some of mine, but... I got talking to a fellow shutter bug down at the beach last night, an older gentleman who enthusiastically told me he was there to get fireworks shots with his new camera (a PEN!), but it became clear during our conversation he had no idea how. So I told him to use my tripod,......

That was so nice of you!! :hug: Now this poor guy is going to be hooked and before you know it he will have "CEASE" or Camera Equipment Acquisition Syndrome Eh! All kidding aside, think of how inspired he must have felt thanks to you!! :thumbsup2

Some great shots. What are the best settings to shoot FW's, and how do you determine what settings to use? Anyone brave enough to shoot w/out a tripod?

I use the lowest ISO that my camera has and I set the aperture to the 14, or 16 f stop. As for shutter I use a setting called "bulb" which basically means you open and shut the shutter when ever you want. Most of my exposures were in the 5- 10 second range except where I was using that Neutral Density filter, which reduces the light to the sensor. Then I could keep the shutter open longer to catch more bursts

The use of a tripod is essential.

Everybody's pictures are really great. Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!

~Marlton Mom

Great shots everyone!

Marlton Mom....... I also tried out my ND filter but am sort of so-so about it. (Of course, I didn't have 2 bodies going, so now figuring out which were with and which without is sort of a guessing game..) Maybe my problem is that our local show had most of the shots ending up in the same place. So I could get more bursts, but it was a little too busy for my taste. Of course, I'm not likely to love any of my shots, since there's no castle in them! :lmao: Don't know yet if I'll try the ND filter at Disney or not.

Capt445....... great shots!

Clearskies......... Awesome shots! I bow to your greatness in getting your family to accompany you on your adventure! Mine wouldn't even go with me to the display 4 or 5 blocks from home! :rotfl2: But I did get them to drop me off so I would only have to walk back.

Pea-n-me........ that's an awesome story. And what a wonderful ending!

Hello you great photographers... I have a Nikon D3000 and I have not mastered the art of taking firework shots like these. Mine turn out blurry streaky or dark... is there anyone that can give me some advice as to what settings I use... Please help. I feel so dumb for asking...
I can pm my email address
Thanks in advance..

Hello you great photographers... I have a Nikon D3000 and I have not mastered the art of taking firework shots like these. Mine turn out blurry streaky or dark... is there anyone that can give me some advice as to what settings I use... Please help. I feel so dumb for asking...
Thanks in advance..

Have you been using a tripod and shutter release cable?

Thanks in advance..

No reason to feel dumb. Everyone that has posted fireworks shots on here had to start somewhere.

To get the shots I took, I was on a tripod (like mom2rtk mentions), setting my camera to BULB mode (I shoot Canon, but I assume Nikon has something similar) and a shutter release.

You point the camera where the fireworks are going to explode, focus on that spot, and then put the lens into manual focus mode. Then when I see the streak of the firework going up, I press and hold the button on my remote shutter release. Eventually, as the firework begins to decay I release the button. A neutral density filter can help a bit, but people can go either way on that.

You will also want your ISO at 100 to 200 and your aperture set somewhere between f/8 and f/16. Use whatever lens gets you the focal length you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter