Silliest question/comment you've heard about Disney?

MrRomance said:
I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone or their wedding. If they are happy with their choice and had a fantastic wedding, good for them. I'm happy for them. However, there are a lot of people, myself included, who do not view the Swan and Dolphin as Disney. I would say that they have Disney "themed" weddings. I would not be bothered or offended if someone didn't have the same opinion of my choices as I did. It is entirely my choice where I choose to stay, get married or whatever and I'm happy and secure in the decisions I make for myself, therefore I wouldn't argue about it or be offended. My point here was that there are differing views about the Swan & Dolphin and as the OP said, people assume they are Disney when they're not.

This is not about a judgement value, it's about a personal opinion. I do not feel that being on Disney land automatically means it is Disney. Is the Hess gas station, Disney because it's on property? I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Swan and Dolphin, or their weddings, but my opinion is they are not Disney owned and operated and they are not the same as Disney. There are many people that love them, and we have been over there a number of times and I can't fault them, but to say they are Disney is not true in my opinion.

What I can't figure out is WHY you care... Shows a bit of an issue within you, I think.

The one I hear the most is "Isn't it just like Six Flags?" because we have a Six Flags here. I have even heard that it is just like the State Fair. Oh my gosh :(

Comparing Six Flags to Disney World is like comparing dollar store bologna to le celliers filet mignon.

NHKristy76 said:
What I can't figure out is WHY you care... Shows a bit of an issue within you, I think.

I actually see this point. Hess gas station is undoubtedly on Disney property. Dolphin and Swan, while lovely, are not Disney. I would imagine the cost of an "actual" Disney wedding would be the reason the pp "cares."

There is nothing for adults to do (said by someone who has never been but thinks they know everything). And something about "wearing a Minnie Mouse dress" to my Disney wedding. arghhh people!!

When I told my BIL he really didn't need a rental car while staying on Disney property, he angrily told me he wanted to do the safari at Animal Kingdom, and how would he "be able to drive through it if he didn't have a car?" :rotfl2:

Six Flags Great Adventure has/had a drive through Safari. Maybe he figured WDW AK Safari was the same.

Planning trips around love bug season. How are love bugs even an issue?!?!!? The don't do ANYTHING but float around. They don't bite, they don't sting, they don't cause allergies, they don't make noise, they don't cause disease. They just do their thing. They aren't mosquitoes or gnats or ants, lol. Everytime I step outside a gnat tries to fly into my eyeball. Ugh.

:hippie:

But if you drive through a fog of Love Bugs with your car and you don't get to wash them off right away, their bug juice eats into the paint & ruins it. I know this from experience. We drove down in October once during major Love Bug season with DHs new car. Didn't know what damage could happen until we washed the car when we got home & the paint was all pitted on the front of the car. (A few years later he had a minor accident and the whole front of the car was repainted. Finally all the Love Bug damage was gone)

Life Lesson Learned: If Love Bugs squash on your car, try to get it washed ASAP to prevent paint damage.

From my FIL upon us teling him we were going to WDW in May. "you two just went a couple years ago, and you (myself with a friend) just went in June. WHy go back now. Wait til you have kids at least..."

To which I replied (and let me stop here and say I'm a bit intimidated by my FIL, he's a wonderful man but very opinionated and takes it too far very often) "why are you going to Mexico in April...didn't you just go last year and every year for the past 6 years?" Well that quieted him pretty fast lol

Now in FIL's defense, he HAS be to WDW before with DH and DBIL when they were young and he always raves about what a wonderful time they had at POFQ and all 3 parks (AK wasn't around yet, and how interesting DTD was. But swears that without kids it's a waste of time and money because you just can't have fun without children. While agree that I love watching little kids reactions to things (I'm not creepy I swear lol), I have a blast with other Adults too

I just remembered my favourite, spoken by my best friend on a girls trip while in like for Soarin to a little girl behind us who was scared about trying "It's ok sweetie it's not scary at all, you just get into the little car and go around california like in the golf ball" ...might I add that my friend had never been on soarin' either and I had to set her straight and explain what it was really like to the poor little girl

My partner and I, ok me but he plays along, are the type to say things about Disney just to see if a can get a rile up, especially someone who seems to "know" what they are talking about. I'll engage people about the cost of fast pass, How to get to ... that I know is in a different park, just smart##s comments.
DSO (Disney Significant Other) gets mad at me at times, but we end up laughing, I know we shouldn't laugh at others expense, but it's fun.
Don't get me wrong if someone truly seems confused or in need of help that I can give I will. But the "know-it-alls" get the NJ attitude. So some of the funny comments might just be someone pulling someone else's leg.

You're mistaking my making a comment because the OP made me remember the other thread with caring about what other people do or don't do. I really don't care, I'm perfectly happy with my own decisions and happy for anyone else to make their own decisions. What I object to is being flamed for expressing an opinion.

Not WDW but Disney Paris. My mum and dad told me they'd gone to Disney Paris when I was 18. Mum had bought a raincoat and I was so jealous.

Fast forward to 1999 when dh takes me. We show the pictures to my mum who's looking mighty confused.

They'd taken the metro there. Saw the Disney Village and thought that was it. She didn't realise you bought tickets and went into the park and rode rides. So she'd been telling everyone she didn't get the hype when she'd not gone past the village.

Not WDW but Disney Paris. My mum and dad told me they'd gone to Disney Paris when I was 18. Mum had bought a raincoat and I was so jealous.

Fast forward to 1999 when dh takes me. We show the pictures to my mum who's looking mighty confused.

They'd taken the metro there. Saw the Disney Village and thought that was it. She didn't realise you bought tickets and went into the park and rode rides. So she'd been telling everyone she didn't get the hype when she'd not gone past the village.

Ouch!

My mom and I were leaving Hollywood studios around 4pm during our trip this past October/November and heard this from a father to his family: Nah we don't need fastpasses for Toy Story! The line won't be that long.

:rotfl2:

We got there at opening that day and our fastpasses were good starting at 11:30 even though we went pretty much right there. Maybe he meant another ride? :confused3

slightly :offtopic: below:

This reminds me of all the crazy stuff I hear at my job. like the time a woman came in and complained (ok she was screaming) to the woman working at the first desk that our steps were wet and someone could fall. Now my coworker isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer. She even jokes that she is the reason blonde jokes exist. Anyway, she looked right at the complaining woman and said "Ma'am...its raining..." Which it was. We were getting a torrential downpour left over from a hurricane.

And the man who came into the science and technology museum who got angry that we relied so heavily on technology like the computers we had to sell tickets. He hates technology. Enjoy the museum, buddy. I'll just follow you around all day. popcorn::

Maybe not silly but the best quote I overheard from my last trip:

In the lobby of the Polynesian - Father to young son :
"I told you only Banana leaves here, no toilet paper"

In EPCOT at the Morocco pavilion - A small group of 20 somethings :
Girl: What country is next?
Boy: France
Girl : Oh, there won't be any good food there, what's after that?
Boy : England
Girl: Oh The will have good food!

US: ***? Did we just hear that ?

My mom and I were leaving Hollywood studios around 4pm during our trip this past October/November and heard this from a father to his family: Nah we don't need fastpasses for Toy Story! The line won't be that long.

:rotfl2:

We got there at opening that day and our fastpasses were good starting at 11:30 even though we went pretty much right there. Maybe he meant another ride? :confused3

It might have been me you overheard. ;) (except I wasn't there in that time frame)

I've been on TSM several times where the standby line was very short. I can't say it is often 'walk-on,' but the wait does go to 15 min.

Everyone assumes the standby will be long, and gets a fp. So yes, fp, requests run high...but that doesn't mean guests can't ride TSM standby.

Then again, every time I post this, I get blasted by folks claiming the standby line is always long. It isn't. I'm not saying it was short the day/time of day you were there. It does get long waits, but it isn't impossible to ride it standby.

Akerhaus also seems to be quite popular to mis-spell Akershus.

Um, maybe because it is spelled "Akershus"?

Not that I'm one to throw stones on that front. My posts are riddled with typos. I also use LOTS of acronyms.

But see, all spelling conventions were created by SOMEBODY. A human invention, not divine. In America, one person was responsible for single handedly changing the spelling of many English words. (see: Noah Webster) Spelling and grammar conventions are habits. Habits change. What's proper here, is slang over there. (here and there being almost any two places) Today's slang is tomorrow's proper. (SEE: "KFC") that's why I don't think we should really ever treat language as anything more than a moving object. If we understand each other, it is right. If we don't, we need a better convention.

Here's another way to think about it, so called proper American English is mangled British English, Old English, Germanic...and so forth. Not so long ago, well, okay a little while ago...Latin was the primary language of Europe...then it devolved into Italian, French and Spanish. Can we seriously say Europe is lingusitically better off with the break up of a central language?

So I'm with you. We all know what "Akerhaus" is. If we all start writing it that way, eventually Disney will change all the signs. It worked at KFC.

It might have been me you overheard. ;) (except I wasn't there in that time frame)

I've been on TSM several times where the standby line was very short. I can't say it is often 'walk-on,' but the wait does go to 15 min.

Everyone assumes the standby will be long, and gets a fp. So yes, fp, requests run high...but that doesn't mean guests can't ride TSM standby.

Then again, every time I post this, I get blasted by folks claiming the standby line is always long. It isn't. I'm not saying it was short the day/time of day you were there. It does get long waits, but it isn't impossible to ride it standby.

I'm sure there are times it is short, especially beginning and end of the day or right after its back up after shut down. I figure people aren't going to go out of their way to lie/exaggerate about that stuff. :P And short is relative, depending on the ride. I would've jumped in line if it was less than an hour. This day it was only below 100 minutes that like...first 20 minutes and probably near the end of the day but we left at 4 because we were just done with the park. By the time we got there it was (supposedly) 55 minutes already. I wanted to wait in the line but my mom didn't want to do it since we had fastpasses so we moved on to...something else. This is my plan next year (if reg. fp is still around *crosses fingers*). Grab a fastpass then jump into the short line. I say supposedly because we got into the Star Tours line when it said 20 and it was like 4 minutes before we were seated. At 4 is was almost 2 hours (we kept checking to see if it was below an hour). Maybe to him 2 hours wasn't so bad? Maybe they waited in a longer one so 2 hours was easy? I don't know lol. It was more his tone which sounded more like "oh no one goes on toy story we'll get right on!" His wife, who I saw was looking at a line app, looked less than agreeable :P

marthachick said:
My question is, how is this pronounced? :)

Trying to remember my Norwegian here (it's been a while):

Ah - ker - hoose (like goose, only with an h).

A few years ago my ex in laws made their second trip to Disney World. I was shocked they went there because my ex MIL doesn't like people and hates traveling. When they got back I asked them which rides they went on and my ex FIL informed me that they didn't really go on any rides they went for the shopping.

Not that I don't enjoy shopping in Disney World, because I do, but I'm also a Disney nut and would love nothing more than to have every other item in my home be Disney themed but these people do not like Disney themed stuff. And even if you are like me and love Disney themed everything why would you travel all the way to Disney World just to go shopping? That's what disneystore.com is for. I can see going somewhere like New York or Paris to go shopping but Disney World? :confused3

I just don't get it but then again I have never understood those psychopaths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter