Single Parent Support Thread

Single mom to a 4yo girl and we've traveled tons!! We've done WDW 3 times and going on the Dream on April 25, but this will be our first trip where it's just the two of us, or we're not meeting anyone at our destination, but I'm super excited!

Single mom to a 3 year old boy going sept 12th to 18th. So excited going for his 4th birthday which is that week. This will be his 6th trip!

Single mom to 4 year old girl traveling to wdw for our third visit together. I am a little nervous, as this is our first time on vacation just the two of us. We are going the week immediately following Memorial Day. Hoping for reasonable crowds and lots of fun.

Single mom to 4 year old girl traveling to wdw for our third visit together. I am a little nervous, as this is our first time on vacation just the two of us. We are going the week immediately following Memorial Day. Hoping for reasonable crowds and lots of fun.

Same here, we've always gone with a group or met someone when we got to our destination. Excited though!!

Don't worry single moms. You can do it and it will be great. I've been traveling alone with my daughter since she was 4 and we always have such a great time. We've done non Disney and Disney vacations. It's a great chance for very special memories.

Greetings, single parents!! I am a single mom to a 6 year old boy and 5 year old girl. I grew up going to Disney about once a year, and am taking my kids for the first time in May! My mom is going with us, and we are soooo excited! Thanks for starting this thread!

Hello again, my babies and I are heading back to Disney for our 3rd trip overall and our 2nd summer trip. Very excited, but I haven't told them yet. I want dd to finish the school year before I tell them.

We first went in 2010 when dd was 7 and ds was 10 months. Now, dd is almost 10 (and will be 10 when we go) and ds is 3 years-old. 3 has meant a vocabulary explosion for him. I was actually thinking of going to the beach this summer, but you should have heard his plea for a Disney vacation.

Oh mommy it is so beautiful there. I can't wait to go. Can we go? Can we go see Mickey? Please mom. Pleeeeeaaassseee?

:lmao: There went my plans for the beach.

Another single mom here! I'm taking three of my four kids to Disney in just 10 days. It will be my first solo trip with kids and I am so excited!

We are too :) then we are off on the 30th for our first Disney Cruise. Single mom of 2 DD (4 and 12)

I say get ahold of a school policy book and use it! Here in our district, my kids can take off 3 days for family reasons without penalty and several others for sick days, etc. We just try to make sure we plan trips around days they have off of school. Instead of going during a long break like fall or springbreak, we will take off when they have just long weekend breaks. This way I only have to take them out 1 or 2 days from school. That's why we go over Thanksgiving break or like to most. They are already out of school for the Wed-Fri, so I just add that previous Mon and Tues. I know they don't ususally have tests those days and so they aren't missing much of anything. I know most people like to spend the 'holidays' with family, but we plan trips over fall/springbreak or summer/winter for family trips instead.

I'm a teacher and I do know that some school districts allow for study leave if you relate your vacation to the state standards. You will be surprise how you can plan lessons around Disney.

Single mom taking my 3 boys Memorial Day week! So exciting!

We are too :) then we are off on the 30th for our first Disney Cruise. Single mom of 2 DD (4 and 12)

I'm a single mom to an almost 6 year old daughter (turns 6 Mother's Day). We are traveling to WDW for her 5th trip and our 5th vacation with just the 2 of use, 4 to WDW and 1 non-WDW. We will arrive Memorial Day weekend. :) Also, hoping for reasonable crowds. pixiedust: Looking forward to LOTS of fun.

I'm a single mom to an almost 6 year old daughter (turns 6 Mother's Day). We are traveling to WDW for her 5th trip and our 5th vacation with just the 2 of use, 4 to WDW and 1 non-WDW. We will arrive Memorial Day weekend. :) Also, hoping for reasonable crowds. pixiedust: Looking forward to LOTS of fun.

I'm a Mother's Day baby too!!! Have a great time!! I'm taking my DS (8) this summer. This will be our second trip just the 2 of us!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are planning on doing MK on the 29th. Anyone want to meet up?

Hi all...I'm a Single Mom to an amazin 14 month old boy. I'll be taking him on his first vacation in September at 18 months old and my first vacation without another adult or with a child. I need some advice on which resort to choose. I'm between Poly, Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club. Let me say that the Poly is my favorite resort and I'm stuck on this one because of the convenience of the monorail with a curious "I wanna walk by myself" toddler however, the Poly is the most expensive option. I like WL for the close proximatey to MK with just a boat ride and the much cheaper price but overall not one of my favorite resorts. Lastly, I like the idea of Beach Club because I think he'd love SAB pool complex and the boardwalk area in general but I don't think we'll really be spending any time at EPCOT. I'm also not crazy about long bus rides with him to get all over the place. I'll be spending most time at MK and our resort. Any advice?

I can't remember when I stayed at the Boardwalk if we shared bus service with Beach and Yacht, I think we did along with the Swan and Dophin also. There were a good 4 or 5 stops on the bus line and it made for a long, long ride. That being said it was a breeze going to Epcot and Hollywood Studios which even at 18 months both my kids LOVED those parks. I wouldn't underestimate what there is to do at them with little ones. If your DS is into Disney Junior and Disney/Pixar movies there is a plethora of characters at Hollywood Studios that you will only see there. Plus some of the shows and a couple of the rides. Not always a full day park, but at least half a day, maybe a little more. At Epcot, my kids loved the rides in future world and the boat ride in Mexico was my DD9's favorite ride when she was little. She made me ride it 6 times in a row one day :confused3. They both love, love, love making the masks as we walk through the countries.
Magic Kingdom of course is where the main action is for the little ones. If that is where you feel you will do the most then I would say a resort that has quick access to/from is a good idea. I always stay DVC and boy how I hated waking up a sleeping kid to get on the buses, I always envied those on the monorail who could just either push their sleeping child back to the resort or push them on the monorail! My vote due to the age would be either Poly or Wilderness (and I agree, not my favorite place, stayed once and probably won't again). IF you have the money and are okay spending it, the go with the Poly. If not even though Wilderness isn't your favorite, it's just a place to sleep and hang out, you won't be living there permantly so save some money on the room and stay there. I will say that I got smart after a couple nights of needing to wake up my DD when she was little and that was by wearing her in a hip carrier later at night or even during the days for nap time. It worked out really well for me because having them on my hip still have me my hands basically free to carry the stroller and bags. Plus I could still go on rides with them sleeping in the hip carrier.

Hello!

Single mom of 2 great boys :) We just moved to FL last month (10 min from Disney) - If you have a trip planned post your dates & maybe we can all meet up :)

I'm a single mom to a special needs daughter. She's 6yo and we've been to WDW alone twice so far. I have a surprise trip planned for August. :banana:

It's definitely not impossible, but it isn't easy. I have a rather demanding career which complicates some things. But I am lucky that I have a very understanding boss who doesn't give me grief when I have to leave work for school meetings, doctors' appointments, OT appointments, etc.

I also noticed Andy's mom is a single mom. I'd wondered in the first and second Toy Story movies because we never see or hear a dad, but what confirmed it for me was when they show a picture of Andy graduating from HS and it's only him, his mom, and his sister.

Most Disney Movies are about single parents, there really is not one move a traditional family, families are either blended families, divorced families, families that have lost a parent, etc....
Ex: Cinderella - Remarried/Blended Family
Nemo - Family who lost a parent
101 Dalamations - Blended Family
Lion King - family Lost a parent
Little Mermaid - Family lost a parent
Lilo & Stitch - Family lost a parent
Beauty and The Beast - Single Father
Just to name a few...

Anyways Hello Everyone! Fresh Single Mom here. My back story is one for a Soap Opera, I just got myself over the first bump of many (being in bed for the weekend while the kids were with the grandparents). I have two children DD8 and DS3. Long messy relationships last one ending and taking to many years of my life from me. I am just trying to make it day to day. Only thing Im looking forward to right now is Disney in 50 days. Going with my best friend and her two kids and we are doing the single mom thing together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter