Skipper Canteen info

We are hoping to have a meal here in March. However, no way would I pay $60 for it. Honestly, as long as people are willing to pay outrageous prices at WDW, no matter how much you complain the prices will just keep going up. The only way to stop that is to not jump at the chance to overspend on anything new that Disney has to offer. I don't expect the new menu to come out with prices hovering around $60 per person, but if it does that will be one ADR we won't try to make.
A great idea but impossible to see happen. There are more than enough people who will eat there, no matter the cost.

A great idea but impossible to see happen. There are more than enough people who will eat there, no matter the cost.

I believe you are right, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to be one of them. I can't tell you how many times I have thought that I needed to look into one more ADR or at going to a dessert party just to make this trip special but then I catch myself realizing that our trip is already special! We really don't need to eat here or go to the Merry and Brighy dessert party to make it special. Personally, I'm excited to host my own dessert party and tell my family of 10 that I'm treating them to $600 worth of sugar, treats, and drinks at the Osborne Family Lights, lol! I know that there's no way we will spend that much, but figure it will be a fun night for the kids (and adults) to get whatever they want.

For every one of me, though, I'm sure there's 100 more willing to take my place. I'm really ok with that. We will enjoy Disney for as long as we can in our own way!

We definitely won't be eating here if it's $60 a plate. We may not even try to eat here at all even though we will be there the week it is supposedly scheduled to open. At this point, we are pretty satisfied with our ADRs. I'm still following along to see if it is QS for lunch (I know it's not sounding promising, but you never know.) ;)

For some reason I don't see them opening a signature restaurant inside MK, but who knows.

A girl can dream! I'm still holding out hope somehow for a nice Signature on Main Street somewhere.

In regards to Skipper Canteen, I am hoping we get a menu soon! The mention of Asian/African/South American inspired food is certainly interesting and I feel that more variety in cuisine choices in the parks is a very good thing.

I believe you are right, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to be one of them. I can't tell you how many times I have thought that I needed to look into one more ADR or at going to a dessert party just to make this trip special but then I catch myself realizing that our trip is already special! We really don't need to eat here or go to the Merry and Brighy dessert party to make it special. Personally, I'm excited to host my own dessert party and tell my family of 10 that I'm treating them to $600 worth of sugar, treats, and drinks at the Osborne Family Lights, lol! I know that there's no way we will spend that much, but figure it will be a fun night for the kids (and adults) to get whatever they want.

For every one of me, though, I'm sure there's 100 more willing to take my place. I'm really ok with that. We will enjoy Disney for as long as we can in our own way!

We definitely won't be eating here if it's $60 a plate. We may not even try to eat here at all even though we will be there the week it is supposedly scheduled to open. At this point, we are pretty satisfied with our ADRs. I'm still following along to see if it is QS for lunch (I know it's not sounding promising, but you never know.) ;)

I'm leaving a lunch spot at MK for our February PHM trip. But I agree - I'll see what it looks like when they release the menu and the prices. We've done a ton of events, dessert parties, etc. because we always love an event. But I'm getting more discriminating about what's worth it and what's not (says the mom who just booked the spirit of aloha luau based on teenager's enthusiasm and against better judgment.) OK, so moving forward, I'm going to be more discriminating . . .

However, no way would I pay $60 for it.
Well, $60 per person is extreme. The most expensive entree at the most expensive signature restaurant in the parks is only about $45-$50. I suppose that would be $60 per person after drinks, tax and tip, but just barely. I suppose it is possible that they're going to make Skipper's Canteen comparable to that, but I see no indications of that. There has been no news saying that it is going to be signature, and the name of the restaurant doesn't imply that.

Honestly, as long as people are willing to pay outrageous prices at WDW, no matter how much you complain the prices will just keep going up.
People can definitely make their own choice but prices will keep going up even if a few people start putting their foot down. It would take a more organized guest revolt to change things and that's not going to happen.

Am hoping for a soft opening when I'm there the first week of December. We got lucky when BoG did a soft opening a couple of years back when we were there in November.

It sounds like there isn't a chance of it being open for our trip 11/25 to 12/6. We were just invited to go with our friends on their first trip next fall, so at some point I will get to eat there.

My questions is- how do you get into a soft opening? We don't have an AP (although considering one based on the plan on the second trip)

Thanks!!!

It sounds like there isn't a chance of it being open for our trip 11/25 to 12/6. We were just invited to go with our friends on their first trip next fall, so at some point I will get to eat there.

My questions is- how do you get into a soft opening? We don't have an AP (although considering one based on the plan on the second trip)

Thanks!!!
I've not done a soft opening at Disney but we've gotten in at local restaurants they go outside and ask folks walking by if you want to try a free meal in exchange for dining while they test things.

Well, $60 per person is extreme. The most expensive entree at the most expensive signature restaurant in the parks is only about $45-$50. I suppose that would be $60 per person after drinks, tax and tip, but just barely. I suppose it is possible that they're going to make Skipper's Canteen comparable to that, but I see no indications of that. There has been no news saying that it is going to be signature, and the name of the restaurant doesn't imply that.

People can definitely make their own choice but prices will keep going up even if a few people start putting their foot down. It would take a more organized guest revolt to change things and that's not going to happen.

The question (posed a few days ago) was "would you pay $60" and my answer is no. As a previous poster put it, yes, people will pay these prices but I don't have to be one of them. It's just food in the end and there are other places I would choose to spend my money. I have no problem with other people who would pay it. I agree that it's unlikely that it will be that expensive.

The thing, though, is that they may assign it a $60 price tag, but then use it as a pull for the Dining Plan. People on the Dining Plan don't notice/care what the list prices are, and then use those list prices to see value in the plans.

I don't get the dining plan, pay OOP for everything.
I really want to go to this restaurant and don't care what the menu is (I can find something), but I will draw the line at price.
BoG prices are fine, but $60 for one would be more than I would pay.

I wonder that too, vacationer1954. We are going on our first trip without in April 2016 and I am following this thread in hopes of an ADR for lunch or dinner. We are paying OOP for the first time and I am delighted on how my planning focus is NOT lining up enough meals to make the dining plan worth the cost. I wonder if others are doing the same?

I wonder that too, vacationer1954. We are going on our first trip without in April 2016 and I am following this thread in hopes of an ADR for lunch or dinner. We are paying OOP for the first time and I am delighted on how my planning focus is NOT lining up enough meals to make the dining plan worth the cost. I wonder if others are doing the same?

We are going without it for the first time also in July 2016. I ran the numbers 2 or 3 times and it doesn't make sense for us. I want to try places outside our usual and not do so many character meals, and most of the restaurants we want to try are just not a good value on the dining plan. I also got sick of not finding anything good to use the snack credits on (mostly in Epcot).

We made that decision as soon as "free dining plan" started. Ever since then paying for the dining plan hasn't been worth it to us. I think a certain number of people make the decision every year. There seems to be more new guests every year who buy it instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter