Skipper Canteen (Jungle Cruise themed restaurant) updates and ADR watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been there yet, but just a note on the TS; I'm pretty sure that your skipper is supposed to tell jokes and such when they wait on you? So that being said, a lot of the fun is ruined if you just run in, grab your food and head out.

Jungle Cruise is one of my faves, but for our 3 night trip in Feb where we are staying at the Poly, eating at Ohana and drinking at Trader Sam's...I'm thinking I should skip it while the kinks get worked out.

The original story line when it was announced was it was a place where the "Skippers" could earn a few extra bucks by waiting tables.

But was it good? Sounds delicious (except for soup), but did you like the meal? Was it worth the hype?

Yes! Salad was very fresh, tasty dressing. The veggies and rice flavored with mushrooms very well flavored as was the Marinated chicken. I tasted the acorn squash in my daughter's lentil stew plate. Excellent. Daughter said lentils were a bit too salty. I did not taste. The room we were seated in, the Sea room was very interesting in decor. Comfortable, tables not close at all which added to my personal enjoyment but we were seated on one side of the fireplace. Very experienced waitress. She said food is based on the 4 rivers featured in jungle cruise.

They used texting to alert you table was ready. There was seating outside to wait. Also staff outside available with menus and available to answer questions.

We were not rushed. The person who brought us to the table was entertaining. Not over the top rehearsed but funny. Waitress was more to the point but also brought in the theme. I would go back in a heartbeat.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/magickingdom/adv-shop.htm#skippercanteen is saying "no ADRs first 30 days."

With an "official" open of 12/15 announced, sounds like mid-January. Which, as I've said, is genius. Either people give up ADRs during Christmas to try to get in (waitlisting!), don't give up ADRs to try to get in (thereby paying the no-show and allowing the place they no-show to take walk-ups), or some people without ADRs get to eat there, expanding the food capacity of MK at the time they need it most.

In summary: $$$$$!

I spoke with someone from Disney last night as we are arriving on Sunday and he told me there will be no ADRs right now but they will be accepting walk up reservations starting Wednesday. I am going to head there early on Sunday morning and hopefully get a reservation for sometime that day!!

My thoughts and questions..

Questions..
New drinks with mug.. Can we order the drink in a regular glass and take the mug home?
I hate putting a sticky mug in my bag..

Can salad be ordered with ranch? Or maybe with the dressing on the side? Or is it pre mixed?

do any of the dishes contain nuts??
Im sure the kids dishes don't.. But would be a nice to know..

My thoughts...
The menu is definitely like nothing I've seen in magic kingdom before..
I think there is a reasons for this..
1. Disney is trying to cater to the growing Asian market.. A lot of the items on the menu can be found in authinc Chinese restaurants.. ( not the ones we are all used to)
If you really took a good look around MK they did not offer anything for this market.. And to be truthful I would not have noticed it unless my DH (Chinese) pointed it out.

FYI: DH wants try EVERTHING on the menu.. He said it reminded him of dishes his mother used to cook..

2. Kids menu..
This is hard one.. While a lot of it sounds great, I know my picky eater (4) would not eat any of it!
I can see them adding some form chicken fingers in the near further..
Will it stop us from eating there? NO WAY!
I have no problem letting my 4yo color the entire time while the rest of us enjoy our food.
1/2 the time she ends up pickin off my plate anyways and We can always grab her something before or after

Overall.. I think disney has a smash hit on there hands.. (Even if I would really only order 1-2 dishes)
There is enough people who want something different then the regular MK food.. And disney is finally offering them something..

Last edited:

Yes! Salad was very fresh, tasty dressing. The veggies and rice flavored with mushrooms very well flavored as was the Marinated chicken. I tasted the acorn squash in my daughter's lentil stew plate. Excellent. Daughter said lentils were a bit too salty. I did not taste. The room we were seated in, the Sea room was very interesting in decor. Comfortable, tables not close at all which added to my personal enjoyment but we were seated on one side of the fireplace. Very experienced waitress. She said food is based on the 4 rivers featured in jungle cruise.

They used texting to alert you table was ready. There was seating outside to wait. Also staff outside available with menus and available to answer questions.

We were not rushed. The person who brought us to the table was entertaining. Not over the top rehearsed but funny. Waitress was more to the point but also brought in the theme. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out when we're there in January. Thanks for the info!

Anybody know if the Rice Noodle Bowl is vegetarian if ordered with tofu or if the broth is meat-based?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter