Slinky Dog Coaster

Something beyond a basic outdoor coaster with props scattered around would be preferable. I would have preferred a detailed and immersive dark ride, at least themed to a Pixar IP that's not Toy Story. I simply find Toy Story land to look boring, an off-the-shelf carnival ride with a simple looking coaster isn't what I go to Disney for, I can get that at Six Flags.

ok, I can definitely understand wishing they picked a property other than Toy Story - but knowing that was selected I think the cars look good and quite cute

Also, this is not an off-the-shelf ride - it is custom built with mutliple linear induction launches. I do hope they make the theming as significant as possible (as the level of theming elements seemed to vary based on what draft proposal of the ride is seen)

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/898950594781642752

If you look at Bioreconstructs photos here you can see they have space to store 3 trains, plus 1 more in the station. That fits with the blocks they have set up as well. Block one - Station; Block two - Linear launch 1; Block 3 - Linear launch 2; Block 4 - holding outside of the station. I believe others are spot on here in that what we are seeing is only a small portion of the train. There could also be an unload prior to the loading, however, the station length does not suggest that.

edit: For four trains there should be an additional block, not sure where that is looking at the photos. It could only be a three train system.

Last edited:
ok, I can definitely understand wishing they picked a property other than Toy Story - but knowing that was selected I think the cars look good and quite cute

Also, this is not an off-the-shelf ride - it is custom built with mutliple linear induction launches. I do hope they make the theming as significant as possible (as the level of theming elements seemed to vary based on what draft proposal of the ride is seen)

I think my "off the shelf" comment wasn't about the actual layout or technology, but rather the nature of a more simplistic outdoor coaster. I'm just not inspired by it. I could be wrong and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised but I'm just not as excited for this as I want to be

Something beyond a basic outdoor coaster with props scattered around would be preferable. I would have preferred a detailed and immersive dark ride, at least themed to a Pixar IP that's not Toy Story. I simply find Toy Story land to look boring, an off-the-shelf carnival ride with a simple looking coaster isn't what I go to Disney for, I can get that at Six Flags.
Well every toy Story land Disney has done looks like this. Technically Toy Story already has a dark ride "in" the land. That being Toy Story mania.

They'll likely be testing the vehicle in the coming weeks. They need to have the theming elements in place to test the "ride envelope" and ensure that the elements are far enough away from the track to be safe.
Yep, you'll see a large half circle test piece of sorts that simulates a humans arm at every angle in the ride vehicle. They did the same thing with testing Mine Train.

I think my "off the shelf" comment wasn't about the actual layout or technology, but rather the nature of a more simplistic outdoor coaster. I'm just not inspired by it. I could be wrong and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised but I'm just not as excited for this as I want to be
Given the nature of Andy's backyard, the only alternative would have been to put it into a giant termite mound, something not generally found in the U.S. They were kind of limited in coaster theme by the land theme, but I think it looks ok. I might have gone with more of a tinker toy look to the coaster infrastructure, something a kid would have actually made, but a lot of it will depend on queue theming for me.

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/898950594781642752

If you look at Bioreconstructs photos here you can see they have space to store 3 trains, plus 1 more in the station. That fits with the blocks they have set up as well. Block one - Station; Block two - Linear launch 1; Block 3 - Linear launch 2; Block 4 - holding outside of the station. I believe others are spot on here in that what we are seeing is only a small portion of the train. There could also be an unload prior to the loading, however, the station length does not suggest that.

edit: For four trains there should be an additional block, not sure where that is looking at the photos. It could only be a three train system.

From the station construction and length it appears to me to have a separate unload and load area. I think they'll run with 4 trains.

Given the nature of Andy's backyard, the only alternative would have been to put it into a giant termite mound, something not generally found in the U.S. They were kind of limited in coaster theme by the land theme, but I think it looks ok. I might have gone with more of a tinker toy look to the coaster infrastructure, something a kid would have actually made, but a lot of it will depend on queue theming for me.

I agree - I think they could have tried to make the actual track and support look more like it was tinker toys or erector sets or something - but making it look like Big Thunder Mountain or something wouldn't really fit the theme

You can't get around the fact that Disney is taking the "Dino-rama" approach with this land. They are in the "crap... we need more rides in this place quick and cheap" mindset with this one. This is the All Star Resort version of the Disney experience... build something on the cheap and stick a couple props next to it to make it look "themed".

Saying "Given the nature of Andy's backyard" when discussing Slinky Dog's aesthetics is like saying "Given the nature of a '50s roadside attraction" as an excuse for the crappiness of Primeval Whirl's aesthetics. Would Andy build something that looks like Big Thunder when playing with his toys? No. He would (and did in the movies) build something that looks like this, though:

Toy-Story-3-Hidden-Mickey-Clock.png

Had Disney wanted to spend more time and money, the coaster track and supports would have at least been themed to look like this. Instead, we are getting what essentially is a standard exposed support steel coaster like you would see at any number of amusement parks around the country with a couple of props set on the side to make is "Disneyfied". Not everything has to be immersive and cost billions of dollars like they'll have spent combined on Avatar and Star Wars, but let's call a spade a spade.

Last edited:
I agree - I think they could have tried to make the actual track and support look more like it was tinker toys or erector sets or something - but making it look like Big Thunder Mountain or something wouldn't really fit the theme

Originally when the rumor of a Toy Story coaster first started swirling, I imagined a "Hot Wheels" type race track, but those usually have an inversion loop somewhere. Just a little much for a "family" coaster! I still like the idea though. I think the red and yellow colors of SDD echo the classic colors of Hot Wheels, and I'm okay with the planned theme of a toy set constructed in the back yard. I don't think every land/ride at Disney must be themed like they did with Pandora and are planning with SWGE.

As for getting that kind of experience at Six Flags, your local Six Flags must be a heck of a lot better than ours. Six Flags in Arlington is so neglected and sad. Its nowhere close to even the most basic area at Disney.

Years ago, there was a toy coaster XD simulator video that took a similar idea and had the small coaster twisting and turning through a kid's bedroom. In an ideal world, there'd be a dark coaster like this themed to Toy Story set up in Andy's room (far less intense in the drops of course to keep up with the family ride aspect). Slinky Dog should be fun - but (in a world where money and space are no object) something along these lines would be amazing.

Had Disney wanted to spend more time and money, the coaster track and supports would have at least been themed to look like this. Instead, we are getting what essentially is a standard exposed support steel coaster like you would see at any number of amusement parks around the country with a couple of props set on the side to make is "Disneyfied". Not everything has to be immersive and cost billions of dollars like they'll have spent combined on Avatar and Star Wars, but let's call a spade a spade.

I agree they could have, but I think sometimes expectations just outstrip reality. I've argued in places that Disney needs to ease off spending on theming and add on spending on rides. Whether that is an additional ride here and there, or simply a longer or more innovative ride here or there, I think that needs to be done. If the choice for dollars spent was spending extra money painting the supports to look like tinkertoys or having the second accelerator to make the ride a little more interesting, I'll take the accelerator. Let alone the choice between having tinkertoy painting or having the second ride in the area. Now we don't know if they made that choice or needed to, but there is always a budget. And I'll take one less floating mountain for a longer Navi River Ride with more AAs. This is kind of the same thing in my mind. Spend a little more money to build the rides, spend a little less to build the land.

Years ago, there was a toy coaster XD simulator video that took a similar idea and had the small coaster twisting and turning through a kid's bedroom. In an ideal world, there'd be a dark coaster like this themed to Toy Story set up in Andy's room (far less intense in the drops of course to keep up with the family ride aspect). Slinky Dog should be fun - but (in a world where money and space are no object) something along these lines would be amazing.

That is amazing! And would be a great way to reuse the Dinosaurs from UoE!

I agree it could be a bit more themed - specifically the tracks and support - but not sure another indoor ride was needed. They already have TSMM in the land that is inside and then the Alien ride will be covered - I prefer a mixture of indoor and out door attractions vs all indoor

It should be pointed out that the intention is a family (kid) friendly coaster here. Anyone that was expecting something spectacular is a little too hopeful. I think as far as the theme goes its probably too early to judge how well that works. I don't think it will have the "cheap off the shelf" feel of Primeval Whirl though.

They'll likely be testing the vehicle in the coming weeks. They need to have the theming elements in place to test the "ride envelope" and ensure that the elements are far enough away from the track to be safe.

Looking at the latest aerials, although I can't tell for sure, it doesn't look like the grouting is complete on all the supports yet, that would have to be complete before any testing. As of ride envelope, I think we are still a few months away from that.

Yep, you'll see a large half circle test piece of sorts that simulates a humans arm at every angle in the ride vehicle. They did the same thing with testing Mine Train.
I remember seeing the envelope testing at mine train, but that happen quite close to the ride opening (I remember the first envelope tests were in March/April 2014 as it was the first thing I reported on for my website. And 7DMT opened in May). Doesn't it seem weird they could be starting envelope testing for SDD soon for a Summer 2018 opening?

I remember seeing the envelope testing at mine train, but that happen quite close to the ride opening (I remember the first envelope tests were in March/April 2014 as it was the first thing I reported on for my website. And 7DMT opened in May). Doesn't it seem weird they could be starting envelope testing for SDD soon for a Summer 2018 opening?
They'll do a lot of testing before they open the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter