Slinky Dog Coaster

If Disney really wanted they could have this land open by Christmas but they will stick to their Memorial Day weekend opening.

Christmas doesn't benefit them as much. Opening leading into the summer gets them to market to all the summer guests. Three months of patrons vs two weeks. There's a reason all the openings are typically May. Don't expect that to change with TSL.

Christmas doesn't benefit them as much. Opening leading into the summer gets them to market to all the summer guests. Three months of patrons vs two weeks. There's a reason all the openings are typically May. Don't expect that to change with TSL.
SW:GE won't open for the Summer though...

Judging from the production quality of that video, they spent way more on the press boxes with slinky toys than they did on making this film to tell us nothing new. Looked like a freshman's film class project.

Ohh good golly - I thought it was fun! It doesn't have to be the second coming of "Apocalypse Now." It's a quick little promo. :rolleyes2

If Disney really wanted they could have this land open by Christmas but they will stick to their Memorial Day weekend opening.

I dunno about that. Yes, the two rides are nearing completion, but none of the hardscaping or "atmospheric" work has even started. Saying that they're close to finishing now is like looking at a house that just had the brick and windows go on and saying it's almost done - when it's still an empty shell inside.

I dunno about that. Yes, the two rides are nearing completion, but none of the hardscaping or "atmospheric" work has even started. Saying that they're close to finishing now is like looking at a house that just had the brick and windows go on and saying it's almost done - when it's still an empty shell inside.
No they certainly could have if they wanted. This land is not exactly difficult to build. I am not saying they are close to finishing I am saying they could have sped it up and had this ready in 2017.

I agree that they won't open super early, but it would be incredible if they did! After the fiasco with Rivers of Light and the length of time it took to open Pandora, opening TSL early could balance things out. Maybe Spring Break? I'm just impatient. lol

Disney knows better than that. You open two months early you did a nice job. You open one day late you are completely incompetent. They aren't going to adjust or set a date until they are 100% sure they can hit it.

or announce an opening date, not meet it, have a temporary ride: "Toy Story Alive with Magic" which underwhelms, and finally open it 8 months later to less than stellar fanfare

or announce an opening date, not meet it, have a temporary ride: "Toy Story Alive with Magic" which underwhelms, and finally open it 8 months later to less than stellar fanfare

Yup -- there's the point they learned that lesson.

So they're just going to play the movie? If they're calling it that they might as well! :p

I realize Toy Story land is a simpler project by far than SW or Pandora, and that Slinky Dog is a basic coaster with big props, but...

Those Slinky Dog trains are so cute and so well done. They look so much more striking than the concept art. I am very impressed. Does anybody else agree?

Space Mountain just feels so much faster though, and more intense to me than Everest and Rip Ride Rockit in Universal if we're speaking
My kids took one of the youth education classes a few years back and rode SM once with the lights on and once with them off. They said it felt much faster in the dark.

We're planning to be at WDW the second week in June. I'm really looking forward to TSL - the coaster looks perfect for my 5-year-old. My coaster junkie teenager, who will ride anything, would even like it because she loves the movies.

Ohh good golly - I thought it was fun! It doesn't have to be the second coming of "Apocalypse Now." It's a quick little promo. :rolleyes2
If it was a quick little thing posted without any hype to the Disney Parks blog, I might agree with you.
This was something the company touted by sending out teaser kits to the press. I would expect a little more effort if they are hyping something up like that. It was very amateur feeling.

My kids took one of the youth education classes a few years back and rode SM once with the lights on and once with them off. They said it felt much faster in the dark.

We're planning to be at WDW the second week in June. I'm really looking forward to TSL - the coaster looks perfect for my 5-year-old. My coaster junkie teenager, who will ride anything, would even like it because she loves the movies.

I really do think Slinky Dog might be a perfect level family coaster - other than the lesser level of themeing. But with the launches I think it might be exciting enough for some older kids but the drops aren't crazy and I would think it would be much smoother than Barnstormer and so good for little ones as well

Regardless, I think the swinging barrels were an interesting idea, but I hardly notice them during the ride. Not sure it was worth the effort except as PR.

The swinging cars actually make 7DMT much more tame than it would be if it didn't have them. The cars swing out on the turns, so you don't ever get any lateral forces against your body. The minimal forces you'd experience are eliminated as they are always straight down towards the floor of your car. The track layout would certainly never make for a thrill ride, but the swinging cars make what could be a fun little coaster downright dull.

Last edited:
If it was a quick little thing posted without any hype to the Disney Parks blog, I might agree with you.
This was something the company touted by sending out teaser kits to the press. I would expect a little more effort if they are hyping something up like that. It was very amateur feeling.

or, as that wise sage Butthead of Bevis and Butthead lore said: "These effects aren't very special."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter