Small Appetite

mickeyway

Mouseketeer
I am a small person and I have a small appetite. I often will order the kids meals at counter service. However at sit down restaurants they never allows this. I hate spending $$$ on a meal that i will never finish. Do any sit down restaurants allow you to order a kids meal at the kids price and do any let you split a meal? If they do allow you to split a meal do they charge you to split?

I also had mouth surgery recently and can not eat certain food.

One of the podcast I listen to the hosts talk all the time about splitting meals. I can't say they've ever mentioned a cost to split, but they seem to be very successful at it and hearing them has made my wife and I rethink some of our meals for future trips. We've done this some at home, a couple thoughts. We tip as though we ordered 2 full meals, to be fair to the server, unless there is a charge a second plate fee. Some places do charge as they don't want to serve and have it split at the table, which I can respect.

We've split entrees at various non-buffet table service restaurants, both at WDW and other locales w/o issues, as well.
You can also order an appetizer or small plate throughout several of the restaurants at WDW including DS.
As far as the mouth surgery I'm sure you have a list of foods the dentist told you to avoid so just peruse the menus and go for it:).

I can't think of any restaurants that don't allow sharing (other than buffets and fixed price, of course).

I do know that Via Napoli doesn't allowing sharing if you are using dining plan credits.

I am a small person and I have a small appetite. I often will order the kids meals at counter service. However at sit down restaurants they never allows this. I hate spending $$$ on a meal that i will never finish. Do any sit down restaurants allow you to order a kids meal at the kids price and do any let you split a meal? If they do allow you to split a meal do they charge you to split?

I also had mouth surgery recently and can not eat certain food.

I am not sure that ordering a child's entrée is not allowed. My niece has done this on occasion when she was with me. With the exception of buffet, character meals and AYCTE meals, would not hesitate to ask in any WDW restaurant. Be prepared to accept a no, but it never hurts to inquire.

I often will order the kids meals at counter service. However at sit down restaurants they never allows this. I hate spending $$$ on a meal that i will never finish

Disney TS restaurants almost always allow adults to order a kid's meal and pay the kid's meal price. There have been many threads through the years discussing it. Have you actually tried to do so at Disney or are you talking about outside of Disney?

Of course, buffet and other "set price" venues will not let you do so and some of the non-Disney owned restaurants may not, but I would say at least 75% of the a la carte TS will let you order a kid's meal.

I have ordered kids meals at TS restaurants at times. My DS would get the adult meal, and i'd get the kid meal. Worked out great. Nobody ever said anything at any of the restaurants we've tried (SciFi and TRex for example).

In addition to asking if you can order a kids' meal or split a meal, you may want to consider simply ordering an appetizer as a main course. I, sometimes, order a salad as an app and then an app as a main entree. It keeps portion sizes and costs down.
Sometimes the apps are also better than the entrees. We found this to be true at San Angel and Coral Reef

One of the podcast I listen to the hosts talk all the time about splitting meals. I can't say they've ever mentioned a cost to split, but they seem to be very successful at it and hearing them has made my wife and I rethink some of our meals for future trips. We've done this some at home, a couple thoughts. We tip as though we ordered 2 full meals, to be fair to the server, unless there is a charge a second plate fee. Some places do charge as they don't want to serve and have it split at the table, which I can respect.

We do this too. We figure that our server is taking care of two people, so he/she should be tipped accordingly. :)

I can't eat much at one sitting, so H and I generally split table service meals, or get appetizers, as a PP mentioned doing. I wish that meant that we eat less in general...but what it usually means is that we just end up eating more frequently! :rotfl2:

OP, if you're at WDW during one of the festivals, the food booth items are smaller and can make a really good meal for light eaters. :)

My experience with adults ordering off kids menu:

Beaches & Cream (sometimes yes, sometimes no)
Liberty Tree - Yes
Tony’s- No
Chefs de France - No
Tutto Italia - No
Via Napoli- No
Teppan Edo - No
Tokyo Dining - No
San Angel Inn - yes
Yak & Yeti - yes
Sci fi - yes
Sanna - Yes

That’s all I can think of right now.
I’ve never had any issues sharing a meal anywhere. Sometimes they’ll separate it for you, other times they’ve only brought an empty plate for us to separate the meal ourselves.

I never had a problem ordering off the kid menu or an appetizer but I only did it at "disney" places. A lot of the time the kid menu stuff is just not really appealing to me but some restaurants have similar food to the adult menu. LTT had no problem with it the first time when I ordered kid's pot roast and my son had the kid's AYCTE. the next time we went we just split an adult pot roast and also no trouble.

Sometimes they will let you order the kid meal but without the drink and dessert, which is fine by me because I don't really need either - the kid desserts are REALLY not appealing.

I've been splitting on and off for 20 years and never had an issue with it either - disney does not charge.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat - it was part of the reason we skipped a dining plan on our trip (also because our elder DS was a Disney "adult" at 10 years old but would never eat anything off the adult menu). When you're paying out of pocket for your meals, most Disney restaurants will let you order anything you want (kids meal, just appetizer, etc). When it's a buffet, you will pay the price based on your age, not how much you will eat, so you'd be kind of stuck there. I think *maybe* the super high end restaurants restrict kids menu items to kids only, but that I'm not 100% sure on.

If you're on the dining plan, you have to order off the menu that matches your ticket (so if you are considered a Disney adult you have to order off the adult menu, and if you're a disney child you have to order off the kids menu)

I have a reservation at Whispering canyon cafe and would like to order off the kids menu as opposed to the adult menu. They did not let me last trip but I am hoping this trip they might.
I have stitches in my mouth from a work accident that has required 3 surgeries. Soups are great or small stuff that I can cut up.

I have a reservation at Whispering canyon cafe and would like to order off the kids menu as opposed to the adult menu. They did not let me last trip but I am hoping this trip they might.
I have stitches in my mouth from a work accident that has required 3 surgeries. Soups are great or small stuff that I can cut up.

Were you on the dining plan last time? That would affect your ability to order off the kids menu. For your situation, I would put a call in to Guest Services and they can note your reservation that you need small bites/soft foods and they are amazing about accommodating!

maybe they thought you were trying to order AYCTE at kid's price? that is definitely a nono - maybe they assumed that is what you meant and not an a la carte option. I have found the disney owned/operated restaurants to be the most accommodating but AYCTE is the one big thing they won't budge on at least per the internet. I have never tried.

I had bariatric surgery a year ago july so on my last trip i was only 7 months out and had no issues anywhere ordering small things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter