Small Appetite

I prefer an appetizer and a salad vs a big meal. I could have made the cheese platter and a dessert at Jiko my meal last week. It was SO good and a lot of food (they give you amazing rolls ahead of time, too).

All You Care to Eat :)

Basically, the buffet or family style meals like Chef Mickey's or Hoop Dee Doo. They have a set price based on age regardless of how much you eat.

Also included within that would be things like the skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe (where they'll bring you more of anything you ask).

Another fan of appetizers here. In some cases they are among the best items on the menu. On the off chance they're too small you can always order dessert!;)

HMMM...had bariatric surgery 10 years ago and either split meals with my grandkids or order off the kids menu (usually their meals are not as interesting but...) Never had a problem. Of course buffets... no. Last trip I went to Jiko with my granddaughter and the chef came out to discuss my dietary needs. He suggested the kids menu or an appetizer if I could not find anything appealing. Never had an issue.... ever!!

Oh Duh I should have figured out the all you care to eat. I wanted the kids pancakes platter and I was told that adults can not order kids menu items. I understand the skillets and at buffets being charged as an adult but I don't get the other items.

Oh Duh I should have figured out the all you care to eat. I wanted the kids pancakes platter and I was told that adults can not order kids menu items. I understand the skillets and at buffets being charged as an adult but I don't get the other items.

Were you using a dining plan at the time or paying out of pocket?

Paying out of pocket. I enjoy the having a sit down dinner or breakfast sometimes but find I am spending a lot more and wasting food.

Paying out of pocket. I enjoy the having a sit down dinner or breakfast sometimes but find I am spending a lot more and wasting food.
Hmmm. That might have been one ill-informed server if it wasn't a "bottomless" plate kind of situation. I have definitely had no problem ordering a kids meal, or explaining to the server that an adult portion is too much - even if they could have arranged to get you a "side" of pancakes instead of a full pancake breakfast, that would have resolved the portion size issue. If it were to happen again, I'd ask to speak to a floor manager - especially if you're paying out of pocket.

DD15 never eats adult meals. She'll either order a side of fries or a kids meal and we've never had a problem. I typically order a kids meal at Sanaa. I always ask before I order and they'll tell me that's not a problem. I tell them I just want to save room for dessert, they have the best! Either that or I have been known to just order an appetizer.

We have split meals before and had mixed results, mostly they did the split in the kitchen, and a few time they did bring us a plates to divide out what we wanted.. twice we requested plates as we were sharing 3 meals with 5 people so everyone got a little bit of each dish...

On ordering kids meals, as an adult. We have been allow to do it but they up charge for adult portions.

I don't like being charged more for a kids meal simply because I am an adult. Up charge for adult portions but ordering smaller portion form the kids menu doesn't add up to me. It is the same as if I went to the store and bought a quart of milk but they charged me for the gallon because I am an adult. Or am I missing something?

Another fan of appetizers here. In some cases they are among the best items on the menu. On the off chance they're too small you can always order dessert!;)

I do this a lot-for example, I'm not a fan of the entrees at Nine Dragons but enjoy the appetizers there and it's been a fairly reliable walk-up option in my experience.

I don't like being charged more for a kids meal simply because I am an adult. Up charge for adult portions but ordering smaller portion form the kids menu doesn't add up to me. It is the same as if I went to the store and bought a quart of milk but they charged me for the gallon because I am an adult. Or am I missing something?

It's standard restaurant practice. Kids Meals are at a lower price point to get adults in families in (and to get kids used to restaurants to keep them going as they grow into adults)...many chain restaurants offer a chicken tenders meal at a cheaper price than the comparable app or meal on the main menu is (and the size is sometimes comparable or even identical compared to the app). So, it should be a very happy surprise if WDW ever allows an adult to order a kids TS meal at kid price...that is not normal restaurant procedure...

I guess it is standard practice. OH well i will stick to the counter service.

While it might be standard practice IRL and even in Disneyland (2x the portion for 2x the price is common for picky teens) it is NOT the standard practice at the Disney Owned restaurants in WDW. My mom and I both got the kid's portion of chicken pot pie at 50's for instance as neither of us was hungry. We got the kids portion at the kids price.

While it might be standard practice IRL and even in Disneyland (2x the portion for 2x the price is common for picky teens) it is NOT the standard practice at the Disney Owned restaurants in WDW. My mom and I both got the kid's portion of chicken pot pie at 50's for instance as neither of us was hungry. We got the kids portion at the kids price.

And we have been charged 2x the kid meal price for at WDW. I think it just varies by server.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter