• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except now some smokers will say "eh I'll just leave for the day" instead of reentry and walking back to where they were before. So they won't be in the parks spending money.

Nobody is going to spend $130/day to walk out "for good" the first time they have to go outside the gate to smoke. They will spend their money THEN walk out of the gates. Disney gets their admission money either way.

Maybe the “path to nowhere”

My thoughts, too..

I love this move, personally!

I fully agree with this and have been hoping for this for a while. I used to smoke and I can say, even when I smoked, I never understood why theme parks, especially those with a focus around children would allow smoking inside. It is hazardous to other people's health (especially little one's lungs) and the smell is terrible. Having quit smoking I get physically sick if I smell cigarette smoke now, so I can't imagine what it's like for little ones.

But I remember when my DH and I last went to DW, we stayed for a night at Pop Century and upon entering the room I was immediately struck with the over powering smell of smoke. We called the front desk to request a new room, because it was making us both sick, and the Cast Member said apparently people sometimes smoke in their rooms and blow it into the vents and that blows it through to other rooms. I know that this ban isn't going to change instances like that but I just wish there was a way to better enforce where to smoke. There will always be rule breakers and people trying to sneak them in. I am happy though that this will reduce that in the parks themselves. At least it's easier for the cast members now to say "No smoking at all" in the parks, rather than "You need to smoke over there".

Maybe it's because I'm from CA, but this seems long overdue, and totally reasonable to me. If they can keep you from bringing selfie sticks and oversize strollers into the park, why can't they keep you from bringing your pack of smokes and lighter? I also don't want the guy in the unit next door, or the guy who just checked out of my room smoking - that smell never goes away. If you are going to WDW or DL, you can't smoke - PERIOD.

Maybe it's because I'm from CA, but this seems long overdue, and totally reasonable to me. If they can keep you from bringing selfie sticks and oversize strollers into the park, why can't they keep you from bringing your pack of smokes and lighter? I also don't want the guy in the unit next door, or the guy who just checked out of my room smoking - that smell never goes away. If you are going to WDW or DL, you can't smoke - PERIOD.[/QUOTE

That isn't the case with this ban. This ban is inside theme parks. Just incase there was any confusion.

To be honest, I’m not really concerned how far out of the way it is..
I would tend to agree but in all honesty I think the further away it is the more rule breakers there will be. People will just find a spot that is out of the way with no cast members around or walk around in the park smoking rather than walk all the way to the dsa. IF it is enforced well enough it might be a deterrent but if it's just a slap on the wrist and the smoker being told to put it out it won't stop anyone.

I guess I have just had better luck that most with the rogue smokers and I haven't had much issue avoiding the dsa if I wasn't going to smoke. To me it just struck a cord like the ban at work. Smokers also pay $100 more a month for health insurance here because smoking is unhealthy and I worry about that slippery slope...Why not charge obese people more? drinkers more? people with longer commutes more? Where does the slippery slope lead?

well, unhealthy people will pay more for life insurance and the like - also many life insurance plans give you rebates if you show you go to the gym a certain amount of times a month, etc. So it does impact things

Pretty sure they don't allow cars IN the parks but I drive to the parks every time I visit WDW. Maybe not every park day but most park days. And also to Narcoossee's if I have reservations there. WDW certainly doesn't seem to be too concerned with serving me a bunch a liquor and letting me drive by to my resort.

they shouldn't - if they can tell you are intoxicated they shouldn't serve you

bar onwers can get sued if someone was served while visibly intoxicated and then they get into an accident b/c they drive drunk

well, unhealthy people will pay more for life insurance and the like - also many life insurance plans give you rebates if you show you go to the gym a certain amount of times a month, etc. So it does impact things

Fat people at work don't pay more...folks with long drives don't pay more...folks that drink don't pay more...but if smokers have to, what's keeping the company from adding other higher risk folks to the list that pay more?

Last edited:
Because that was so civil. ;)

I apologise if it did not come out civil. What I was referencing were comments on Facebook I keep reading over and over again that there were going to be issues because the poster's husband smoked and just wait until he had to wait in a two hour line in 90 degrees heat with yelling children all around (lots of comments to something like that). Then no one would have a good time.

I should have included those specific comments but I was pressed for time at work and still wanted to comment on the post.

I apologise if it did not come out civil. What I was referencing were comments on Facebook I keep reading over and over again that there were going to be issues because the poster's husband smoked and just wait until he had to wait in a two hour line in 90 degrees heat with yelling children all around (lots of comments to something like that). Then no one would have a good time.

I should have included those specific comments but I was pressed for time at work and still wanted to comment on the post.

I was just teasing! :)

Like I said earlier, I empathize. But I can also see where people are being overly dramatic about it too.

Everyone will accept this eventually.

Fat people at work don't pay more...folks with long drives don't pay more...folks that drink don't pay more...but if smokers have too, what's keeping the company from adding other higher risk folks to the list that pay more?

they should and do for individual life insurance - those that live a healthy life style should pay less than those that don't. I know health insurance is a tricky issue and many people get it via a group plan at work - but out on the open market if you show you are living a healthy lifestyle you should pay less

I wonder if they will institute some kind of re-entry queue separate from the main lines for smokers, and others who leave the park for one reason or another, to get back in more efficiently and not bog down the main queues. They could give them a wristband or something on the way out the gate so not just anyone can use that queue.

Fat people at work don't pay more...folks with long drives don't pay more...folks that drink don't pay more...but if smokers have too, what's keeping the company from adding other higher risk folks to the list that pay more?
When we bought life insurance, we had to have a physical from a nurse who recorded our weight, BMI, lifestyle habits,etc. Our rate was based on all of those factors. In fact, my DH, at 5'10" and 190 lbs was considered overweight and had a higher rate than me! For our health insurance, we have to fill out a survey every year that asks us similar questions - weight, amount of alcohol you typically consume, if you smoke, etc. Discounts are given based upon how you answer. Every year when we renew our car insurance, we have to tell them how far we typically drive our car each day (how far it is to work, for example) and they ask for an odometer reading every year. Our rates are based on this. So at least in my experience, smoking isn't the only "higher risk" lifestyle choice that requires you to pay more for insurance.

It's gonna go over well with the Asian and European tourists who aren't treated like lepers back home.

Wow, I'm shocked. Was supposed to go this summer with DH and Dfather. Disney makes their rules and they should be obeyed, but they will lose some business because of it. Wow. I guess the loss of some business is ok if they get fewer complaints when they know the parks will be flooded due to SWGE.

This was my second thought about this rule. A lot of people you see smoking outside of designated areas are foreigners. They don't understand why you can't just walk around without a cigarette. Just look at how many smoking areas there are at DLP. So many I don't know why they bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter