Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some are brining up arguments like overeating and drinking to compare with smoking. I am no debate queen, but that sounds like a red herring to me. Or is it a straw man argument? Either way, having to deal with rude drunks in the park does not support why the smoking ban is bad. I truly get an argument like what a pain it would be to leave a park, navigate through traffic, smoke, and then have to meet up with your party, or an argument about how the few who break the rules do not represent the majority of smokers who follow the rules. Alcohol and unhealthy eating habits are a separate discussion, IMO.

Some are brining up arguments like overeating and drinking to compare with smoking. I am no debate queen, but that sounds like a red herring to me. Or is it a straw man argument? Either way, having to deal with rude drunks in the park does not support why the smoking ban is bad. I truly get an argument like what a pain it would be to leave a park, navigate through traffic, smoke, and then have to meet up with your party, or an argument about how the few who break the rules do not represent the majority of smokers who follow the rules. Alcohol and unhealthy eating habits are a separate discussion, IMO.
I agree, I don’t have a argument against the ban,
1. It’s Disney property, not mine.
2. It’s a choice to go.
What I find a little funny though is Disney is only doing this at the parks, not the resorts or Disney Springs.

I sympathize for the fact that your mother has health issues. However, that doesn't mean she has the right to break the rules. The thing that people need to realize is that you can't have everything in life. That is not how it works. If she isn't mobile enough to walk around a park and get somewhere to have her much need smoke (i don't judge the need as I know it is an addiction and very hard to break an addiction), then she needs to pick either enjoying the park or enjoying the smoke. You can't suck and blow(pun intended).

Also, you do realize that AK out of all the parks is the LAST place they would be okay with smoking in an area not designated for it. You are basically in a zoo filled with vegetation and trees. So you go hide in a corner to have your smoke and then put it out in the ground, except you didn't fully put it out and it catches on something and starts a fire. So now we have a fire and lose a couple of animals in the process (I know I am being over the top) because your mother needs to have her smokes.

My mother actually puts out cigarettes on a surface and puts them in her purse, but thank you for your concern. However, I'm sure you're speaking generally, even though you reference "because your mother needs to smoke", so I understand your concern, because unfortunately people do that. However, at the same time, it's comments like that make my mother feel like she's a criminal, regardless of whether she broke the rules once, or not, she repeatedly always tells me this whenever she has to walk long distances in order to smoke a cigarette and that's when she does follow the rules.

Also, your hypothetical story could also happen in a smoking area that already exists today and could have happened for years.

"The reason" is rubbish regardless. Crowd control has nothing to do with it. The areas are secluded and off to the side. The ice also is due to "crowd control", but they want you to stand in line at a concession (which will cause congestion too), because you just might buy something.

I go by my previous statement, if cigarettes were sold in the parks like alcohol is now this wouldn't have happened.

As a smoker the new rules don't bother me THAT much. Yeah, I'm not thrilled, but I can have one at the outside area when we hop to/from another park. However, if they say you can't even bring them in the park, that would be too much for me. We don't drive to the parks, so having to go back to the resort to have one would is too much.

I will give one warning before closing this thread. If we remain civil and constructive it can remain open. If not I will have to close.

My take...

Smoking is becoming less popular in the US. Sure you have vaping and stuff like that but overall I think people see and understand the health risks. That said they are not banning smoking altogether. You just can't inside the parks. Many public places do not allow smoking. Many states have smoking bans in public areas as well. I also do not think you will see a lot of people cancelling because of this or anything. I would guess the majority of guests even those who do smoke don't know until they arrive what Disney's policies are.

I smoked for 12 years and have vaped for the last 5. I never did either in the park. I dont even take my Vape equipment to the park I leave it in the room. I have no problem with this at all. I have the smell of smoke. If you have quit you know what I mean. I feel like I can't breath. Also It could be 100 yards away and I still Smell it.
I quit cold turkey 9 years ago I know what you mean, really made me self aware of my previous habits

I think that with proper enforcement that this wouldn't have been necessary. Of course, YMMV.

Off topic but what is it about ice? I noticed that it was listed with the banned in the new list.

It just occurred to me that if recreational pot is allowed in all places where Disney has an operation and Disney allowed smoking, but not the smoking of pot, enforcement would be a nightmare. How do you pick out one type of smoker in a tight pack of smokers? You can, but it isn't easy.

The ice thing is about security having to dig through it all to see the bottom of the cooler. They want ice packs to make it easy.

It just occurred to me that if recreational pot is allowed in all places where Disney has an operation and Disney allowed smoking, but not the smoking of pot, enforcement would be a nightmare. How do you pick out one type of smoker in a tight pack of smokers? You can, but it isn't easy.

The ice thing is about security having to dig through it all to see the bottom of the cooler. They want ice packs to make it easy.
The current proposed legislation it would still be illegal in public. So that would be a different monster vs cigarettes/vape

Disney could make a LOT of money if they carried nicotine lozenges in a few locations in each park. Like 3 for $10 kind of money.

I wonder how far from the entrance they are going to be. And how they will hide those well from people walking by to get into the parks.

This is my concern too. There is no way for anyone to avoid going through the entrance so I would hope that the smoking area is farther away. I am trying to picture in my head where these places might be and I can't think of anywhere that they will not impact someone walking. The worst thing I hate are the people that are walking and smoking to the bus stops. How is a person supposed to avoid their smoke if you are heading toward the bus too. I wish they would police people walking and smoking on the way to the buses.

I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of people who seem offended by this new rule and are changing their plans. My husband has verbalized his dislike but has also said he will just smoke less then. No big deal and he's a heavy smoker. I agree with the ban. I do think it will increase the number of rule breakers but the outrage and offense blows my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter