• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smugglers Run - how roles are assigned?

I have never yet complained to a Disney cast member about anything, and normally would certainly not complain about something they have no control over, BUT, if my 8 year old gets pilot and some adult gives him crap about his performance, that might be enough to convince to express my frustrations to a cast member. I think it's like others said...it's one thing to feel disappointed and another to actually say something negative to another guest about it.

Although I can absolutely promise you that anyone in there with my family would be much, much better off with my 8 year old as a pilot than my husband or myself. ::yes:: Just yesterday he out drove my husband in a car game by miles. DH was crashing all over and the 8 year old was driving like a champ, LOL! :drive:

I wonder if someone who has ridden multiple times could report back whether the experience changes each time? My impression is that they have designed it to essentially be the same ride no matter what your team does. So, maybe you hit a bunch of stuff but it doesn't cut your ride short or give you a different outcome. Your score much be lower, like space ranger spin but it shouldn't be life-ruining.

I took a look at some of the videos of the ride and already found one difference...

Hyperdrive failes and you end up in the middle of an asteroid field

Hyperdrive works and you exist hyperspace at the edge of the asteroid field:

I took a look at some of the videos of the ride and already found one difference...

Both of those versions look awesome. This ride looks fantastic!

So looking closer at the sequence of events in these two videos, the one where your hyperdrive is damaged leads to asteroids field sequence. The one where you didn't take the damage skips that sequence and the ride is padded out with a sequence about "picking up a hitchhiker" after landing. So, flying badly actually give a better ride experience.

I’m glad we have 6 in our group and we all know who should be in what positions, me being the least talented of all.

There’s no Spanish/French/Portuguese/Mandarin narrations of Star Tours or any other simulator rides either, right?

None of the other simulator rides need other language narrations. You aren't given instructions and a job to perform that affects the other people you're with. You are in Smuggler's Run. That's my point. All you do in the other simulator rides is sit there and look at a screen.

Too much pressure. Mission Space has led me to believe that all you need to do to successfully fly through space is to press a button when the CapCom tells you to. And if you forget, the “computer override” does it anyway. I guess that as is so often the case, it’s not actually quite that simple.

Too much pressure. Mission Space has led me to believe that all you need to do to successfully fly through space is to press a button when the CapCom tells you to. And if you forget, the “computer override” does it anyway. I guess that as is so often the case, it’s not actually quite that simple.
Falcon is rendered as a video game. Mission space was not. Disney wanted to do something like nothing before and give guests some actual control of the incredibly famous ship so many love.

I haven't read that, but I suppose it makes sense if the ride moves more when you crash.

Take Bonine, saved me on our cruise and didn't make me sleepy. :)

Thanks I'll have to look that up. I took Dramamine once and I was half asleep the rest of the day.

edit: I just looked it up and it's meclizine, the same as the non-drowsy dramamine I already tried.

Last edited:
Took a look at the description of the Rise of the Resistance ride, and wow, if non-English speakers are baffled by Smuggler's Run they're going to be downright terrified during RotR, since it's very heavy on rider participation. You're captured by the First Order and need to actively try to escape and fight your way out of a battle. Yikes.

At first, I was afraid to do this for many reasons listed here, but the videos are making me want to try it. It would be great if there was a way for parties of fewer than 6 to "recruit" a crew. I might be fairly popular, too, since I don't want to be a pilot!

LOL, if I make the trip I'm hoping for next February, I might have to post here to see if anyone going at the same time needs a well-meaning rookie flight engineer. :wave2:
I don’t want to be a pilot either lol. We are hoping to do it in Nov. at Disney World

Took a look at the description of the Rise of the Resistance ride, and wow, if non-English speakers are baffled by Smuggler's Run they're going to be downright terrified during RotR, since it's very heavy on rider participation. You're captured by the First Order and need to actively try to escape and fight your way out of a battle. Yikes.
No, Rise is very much a more “ride” experience instead of a interactive experience.

No, Rise is very much a more “ride” experience instead of a interactive experience.

I found this article about the ride, and it looks like it's some of both:

https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-ride-details/

If what I'm reading is accurate, it's a very immersive experience that involves a lot of getting into and out of vehicles, walking, and some interactivity with characters. It seems like it has a LOT of moving parts, and my first impression on reading this is that it's going to require a ton of maintenance to stay up and running.

I found this article about the ride, and it looks like it's some of both:

https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-ride-details/

If what I'm reading is accurate, it's a very immersive experience that involves a lot of getting into and out of vehicles, walking, and some interactivity with characters. It seems like it has a LOT of moving parts, and my first impression on reading this is that it's going to require a ton of maintenance to stay up and running.
This article is not accurate.

You just work it out with your group. There were 2 of us so we were with 4 "strangers" each time we rode.

I made it very clear I was the weak link in the group and wanted the least intense job. I was the Engineer both times which was fine with me.
With that position there is a lot of looking to your side to make sure you push the right buttons when they light up. You get an accuracy reading at the end!

My husband was the Gunner and the Pilot. Let me tell you, watching him be a Pilot of the Millennium Falcon was a highlight. He was 17 when Star Wars came out and this was all his teenage boy dreams come true. He was so stinking blown away and happy, it made my day.

One of our rides the group had been on it 4 times and didn't care what jobs they had so they let us choose.
You initially get a card that has a job assigned, but you can switch up cards.

Oh boo, really? Because that looked absolutely boss.
Disney has come out and denied the 28 minute run time. It certainly is an incredible attraction in scale and technology but not everything in that story is true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter