Snacks in Theaters on ships?

Even Broadway shows aren't serving food - only drinks. And those snacks are big money makers for them,

I would hope that at least before the live shows start the CMs will ask people to replace their masks if they take them off. I know they have at the 3 Broadway shows I've been to since reopening. And if someone was proving particularly apt to keep their masks down, ushers kept extra eyes on them and would ask them mid-performance to put their masks up.

I don't think PP was implying that they weren't going to follow the rules.

Perhaps not, but when the question is followed up with a question specifically asking about breaking the rules...it certainly reads that they are trying to find a way around it.

As others have said, cruise lines are being EXTREMELY cautious because they do not want another 18 month shutdown - that would probably kill the industry.

Private companies can have whatever rules they want, including Disney. However, we do not have to agree with the rules. Either follow them or just don’t go.

In my opinion, the masks on the ships are for “theater” since everyone is either vaxed/tested negative, but we will follow the rules none the less. It’s their ship and we will be guests and respect their policies.

Their house, their rules.

You're free to not go to the movie if you can't follow the rules. They don't need to explain every little thing to you in science based studies to get your approval to follow the rules a private company is asking you to follow.
Thanks. I really appreciate you telling me what to do. If you can't see how illogical their "rule" is then I can't explain my point.

You may do things differently, but when I have a drink in a movie theatre, I am not drinking constantly, so I would lift my mask for a moment now and then for a drink. And currently, I don't even lift my mask as I use a metal straw and just slide it under the edge of the mask. Popcorn is often eaten in a more constant manner, kernel after kernel, requiring the mask to be down for a long period of time.
Wow!

You may do things differently, but when I have a drink in a movie theatre, I am not drinking constantly, so I would lift my mask for a moment now and then for a drink. And currently, I don't even lift my mask as I use a metal straw and just slide it under the edge of the mask. Popcorn is often eaten in a more constant manner, kernel after kernel, requiring the mask to be down for a long period of time.
Wow!
I don't think PP was implying that they weren't going to follow the rules. I think it was a reasonable question and I tend to agree. It really isn't any different than being in the dining room. All shows were distanced with a row in front of you and behind you and 3 seats to either side. You are stationary the entire time. In my opinion, if they are going to tell people they have to wear masks the entire time, then increase capacity and bring back nightly shows. If you want to keep people distanced and limit the offerings, then at least allow us to have a snack or drink while we enjoy it. Particularly the movies. No one is moving around. We have all been vaccinated and/or tested negative. And if you get up or move around, you put your mask on.

That being said, we followed the rules because we understand they are being extra cautious. I am pretty cautious too but I do think there are some inconsistencies in the policies and asking a question doesn't mean you intend to break a rule.
Well said.

Private companies can have whatever rules they want, including Disney. However, we do not have to agree with the rules. Either follow them or just don’t go.

In my opinion, the masks on the ships are for “theater” since everyone is either vaxed/tested negative, but we will follow the rules none the less. It’s their ship and we will be guests and respect their policies.

Their house, their rules.

And yet, a kid tested positive on one of the ships just a few days ago and caused a number of other families to quarantine because of exposure at the kids' club.

The masks are there to limit spread since children can't be vaccinated, yet. It's not just theater.

Anyway, we're probably all going to get shut down if we keep arguing about which rules make sense and which don't. The original questions has been answered.

As COVID goes down (let’s hope no more surges), Disney will eventually relax their rules. How long that will be from now is anyones guess.

I do find it kind of ridiculous that the same company that packs people like sardines into lines for rides and on Main Street for fireworks at WDW says they have suspended Deck Parties (which are also outside) due to COVID. To me, that sounds like a cost cutting measure when you think about how they do things at WDW for events/queues outside.
they havent suspended deck parties

And yet, a kid tested positive on one of the ships just a few days ago and caused a number of other families to quarantine because of exposure at the kids' club.

The masks are there to limit spread since children can't be vaccinated, yet. It's not just theater.

Anyway, we're probably all going to get shut down if we keep arguing about which rules make sense and which don't. The original questions has been answered.
that is interesting since the kid had to be tested before he even got on the ship. one of those test was wrong obviously. remember those pcr tests are only about 80 percent accurate. and they tend to have more false positivies than negaties

that is interesting since the kid had to be tested before he even got on the ship. one of those test was wrong obviously. remember those pcr tests are only about 80 percent accurate. and they tend to have more false positivies than negaties

Consider these points.

1. The kid might have picked up Covid the day before embarkation, or even on embarkation day. A test before boarding wouldn't catch that, but a test a few days later certainly would.

2. The NAAT tests used at the port are probably more than 80% accurate. But, if they are only 80% accurate, then all the more reason to continue requiring masks indoors since some positive cases will slip through the testing stage.

3. If someone tests positive at the port, then the sample is retested to confirm the result. That increases the accuracy significantly.

4. I don't know if DCL does the double test for someone who tests positive onboard, but if so, then a double positive almost certainly isn't a false positive.

When I called Disney Cruise Line they told me that they had suspended them on the Wonder. I know for sure the sail away party is not happening. What deck parties (aside from fireworks) still are happening?

On our Dream cruise last month they had an adult masquerade party up on deck. It was pretty empty but they had circle markers on the deck to keep people apart.

MJ

Last edited:
When I called Disney Cruise Line they told me that they had suspended them on the Wonder. I know for sure the sail away party is not happening. What deck parties (aside from fireworks) still are happening?

At least on the Dream, there was a short Mousequerade party for Halloween and a short dance party after the fireworks. In both cases, everyone had to stand on blue dots to stay distanced. Attendance wasn't high at Mousequerade because they held it at the same time as the Hocus Pocus movie shown in the main theater. Attendance was higher for the fireworks, but dropped substantially for the dance party.

The Magic had a Frozen deck party for the UK cruises, which also never seemed to have high attendance.

I think Disney is just trying to avoid the two biggest deck parties (Sail Away and Pirates).

We are rule followers but the rule that made me shake my head on our cruise was the requirement to wear masks on the open air tram at Castaway Cay. That was silly to me. I thought I heard they weren’t doing that anymore but I don’t know for sure.

Or the kid was exposed in transit. It's not that weird an idea.

that is interesting since the kid had to be tested before he even got on the ship. one of those test was wrong obviously.
Not necessarily. The exposure could have been too recent to show up on the pre-boarding test. That's the biggest problem with relying on testing to "prove" you don't have COVID. It only shows that AT THE TIME THE SAMPLE WAS TAKEN a person wasn't carrying the virus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter