Snorkeling in St Thomas or Tortola for a 14 year old?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
Please feel free I am crazy and there is no way you would do this, I'm prepared for that feedback. :-) My daughter loves to snorkel and will be 14 on our next cruise. I was going to sign her up for the CC teen wild side activity but she can't bike and doesn't want to look or feel out of place. Are there any snorkeling tours (with or without Disney) that will take a 14 year old without a parent? I get horrible claustrophobia trying to snorkel and it's just the two of us traveling now.

Alternative bringing her gear to CC for snorkeling on her own which I don't think will be as fun for her but will still be something.

I'd take the ferry to St. John (from St. Thomas) and go to Trunk Bay for the Underwater Snorkel Trail. It's great! You can sit on the beach while she snorkels. I believe Disney offers that as a tour in case you don't want to deal with the logistics.

I don't believe Disney would let her go alone.

I believe a minor cannot go on an excursion alone. You could book the snorkeling tour and wait on the boat while she snorkels, or swim in the ocean without the equipment. It would cost a lot but she would get to do watch she likes.

Snorkeling in the dedicated area on CC is very fun and can take a while. There are hidden things to search for and we usually see the turtle. You can rent the equipment if you don’t want to bring her kit.

I'd take the ferry to St. John (from St. Thomas) and go to Trunk Bay for the Underwater Snorkel Trail. It's great! You can sit on the beach while she snorkels. I believe Disney offers that as a tour in case you don't want to deal with the logistics.

That sounds amazing. I'll look into it.

ETA: Very easy and inexpensive to do on our own. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Hey Heather! Just popping in to say hello as it has been awhile! Wish we were sailing together again, I would take your sweetie snorkeling with us! Hope you are well and Big Sis, too!!

Hey Heather! Just popping in to say hello as it has been awhile! Wish we were sailing together again, I would take your sweetie snorkeling with us! Hope you are well and Big Sis, too!!

Thanks so much and so do I! Big sis is in college and loving it though jealous she's not cruising. :-)

Seconding this, we've done Trunk Bay on our own and it was fantastic - such a beautiful beach. Also I think CC could be great as well. I've snorkeled there and seen tons of fish, and I've also had trips where there were fewer fish. Plus there are a few underwater statues that are fun to find. You could use a snorkel vest (they are free and required at CC) and swim along with her without ever putting your head under.

Another idea - get her an underwater camera so she can show you what she sees!

We did a cataraman snorkeling tour in Tortola. Had all lunch and both kiddie and adult drinks the entire time. They took us to three different snorkeling spots and the snorkeling was great. Only had a total of about 20 people on the boat, most snorkeled, but some didn’t (one of them being my wife). Well worth the money and we booked it outside of Disney and it was a short walk to the marina from the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter