So do you guys still fly?

perd

DIS Veteran
Does it scare you? I last flew in July of 2001. I had a hard time convincing DH to fly then - he has always been afraid of flying. Then after 09/11, forget it. He will never get on a plane again, I'm sure. I admit I would be pretty nervous.

I'm sure not looking forward to that long drive to Orlando, though.

And that is a long drive from Kansas. I have flown on three trips since 9/11, one, the week after. All have been as uneventful as all other trips I have flown. Don't let 9/11 hold you back, perd. Terrorists, in any aspect of life, attempt to do just that.

I was always afraid when I flew, but I never let it stop me. Last year we chose to drive (from Colorado, no less) instead of fly. But mostly because our vacation was too close to 9/11, and airplanes weren't flying yet, and I didn't want to postpone it. We flew this year, and I was nervous, but not about terrorists. I am just afraid of flying. I think, however, it's a lot better than the long drive. Believe me!!!

Yes! Just got back from Florida 3 weeks ago today via US Air. Had no problems at all. DH has made many business flights in the past year.

Will admit that we ended up driving home from Vail, Colorado last year when 9/11 occured, but that was only because our flight home kept getting pushed back - was supposed to fly home on Sept. 12th but would have actually borded the plane on Sept. 17th. It was too expensive to stay in Vail for an extra week - plus we had our two teens with us and we had to get them back home for school and we had to get back to the main office.
Pam

Yes I do.

I would have to be considerably more scared than I am now to put myself through the torture of a 20 hour car trip with the kids. I hate to fly in bad weather though - I always have. :D

I really enjoy to fly, I prefer it to driving and I've made one trip by plane since the attacks (much to my dismay it hasn't been more than once ;)). I will be flying in December and I admit I prefer the thought of a few hours on a plane over about 16 hours in a car. Try not to let fear keep you from flying. I do believe it is so much safer to fly than to drive!

Okay, everyone. I will tell DH "If we don't fly, then the terrorists win!"

I have flown 2x since 9/11/01. The first time was actually no big deal, a little longer at check in and security, and that was back in April.

But...I flew last week on 9/12/02, and I have to tell you getting on that plane was one of the hardest things I have EVER done. But, I did it, and it is and was fine.

Good Luck

Debbie

We flew to Orlando in February, and I hope to be flying back there in January.

I'm not afraid to fly, maybe a little concerned since 9/11, but not enough to keep me from doing it.

Honestly, I'm more concerned that something mechanically will go wrong with the plane than a terrorist being on board. I've felt this way both pre- and post-9/11. So, while I am nervous to fly, I don't let it stop me.

I have to admit that I always have loved flying (my dad was a pilot so I've been flying since I was a couple of months old) but when I flew to Texas this year (my first time flying since 9/11), I was a little nervous. I got picked twice to be wanded (once on my way out and once on my way back).

I have to admit that I always have loved flying (my dad was a pilot so I've been flying since I was a couple of months old) but when I flew to Texas this year (my first time flying since 9/11), I was a little nervous. I got picked twice to be wanded (once on my way out and once on my way back).

Heck yeah, I fly. :) I've flown about 6 round-trips since 9/11. I love to travel and I hate driving long distances. Flying doesn't bother me at all, other than it's tiring to travel and it's a hassle to deal with airports.

I love to fly! I always have and I most likely always will. I can't stand being cooped up in a car for hours on end. I've flown several times since 9/11. The most recent trip was on July 4 with my DD11. I barely gave it a second though.

I don't have the exact statistics, but you have a much greater chance of dying in a car accident than a plane accident. I'd be more worried about the drive to the airport than the actual flight.

I agree with Dan on this one. Don't let the terrorists rule your life. :)

Believe it or not, my family and I have flown more since 9/11 than we had in the 10 years prior to 9/11. It just worked out that way. My wife is flying down to Orlando in 15 days with her mom and her aunt. In 50 days, Sue and I are flying down to Orlando again. That will be my 4th flight since 9/11. The extra security is not as much of a hassle as the media makes it out to be. Buy a ticket. Get on an airplane. It's good for the economy and it gets you there much more quickly.

I haven't flown since 9/11, but that's just because I haven't needed to. We always drive to WDW since it only takes about 8 hours, and we would have to wait nearly that long at the Atlanta airport. ;) I have a fear of flying, but it has nothing to do with 9/11, and I fly when I need to.

I'm one of those who hold up the airplane (I HATE flying); however, I refuse to let fear prevent me from doing what I want and I especially refuse to let terrorists stop me from living my life. We flew back and forth to Florida this April and had no problems (except the weather).

My aunt was on a plane from New York to Miami on 9/11/02 and said there were no problems. Apparently everyone was very low-key.

Good luck with your DH.

We planned to rent a van to drive down since I got rid of my van a couple of years ago and got a Jeep instead, and a Jeep is just not spread out enough with three kids. They cannot be touching -ever!

So I checked car rental prices yesterday and found out we'd be paying around $500 for the rental, not counting gas and not counting extra nights in a hotel for the drive down there and back. And then there is the two days of driving.

Then I looked at Southwest Airlines and saw the five of us could fly for $855 if I wasn't too picky on when the flights were, or just over $1000 if I was picky. Then we'd have to get a bus or something to WDW (doubt if we'd rent a car if we flew there), but I wouldn't imagine a shuttle bus would cost much, if anything.

Just seems like not that much more to fly than it is to drive, all things considered.

Yep. We still fly - to Disney World and lots of other places. We really love to travel and we want to see the world, so that means flying. Neither of us was ever nervous about flying before 9-11, and we aren't now either. We've flown six times in the past year and didn't think twice about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter