So how does everyone else remain calm in the operating room?

Next surgery is April 23rd. Today I received drug and testing scrips and pre-op instructions. When rolled in awake for past surgeries I like seeing the cleanliness, being hit with the cool air and hearing the room's acoustical deference. In certain minor procedures have seen the Propofol snake down the tubing and thennnnn......it's wakey-wakey.

Last pre-op EKG we had an issue after wiring was hooked up. My heart rate was 32bpm, too low for reading so I had to "shake it up" to raise the beats. Will attempt to repeat this time. The low heart rate also causes anxiety issues for the nurses before actual surgery. Questions asked until I can assure them it's normal and then they let the anesthesiologist know at her/his turn for introduction.

Next surgery is April 23rd. Today I received drug and testing scrips and pre-op instructions. When rolled in awake for past surgeries I like seeing the cleanliness, being hit with the cool air and hearing the room's acoustical deference. In certain minor procedures have seen the Propofol snake down the tubing and thennnnn......it's wakey-wakey.

Last pre-op EKG we had an issue after wiring was hooked up. My heart rate was 32bpm, too low for reading so I had to "shake it up" to raise the beats. Will attempt to repeat this time. The low heart rate also causes anxiety issues for the nurses before actual surgery. Questions asked until I can assure them it's normal and then they let the anesthesiologist know at her/his turn for introduction.
No pacemaker yet, huh? My mother got one last year for 48!

The surgery doesn't scare me. The anesthesia leaves me nervous as heck. I know with working in surgical care that most problems come up with complications of anesthesia. You just never know how your body will react to it. We've had healthy people flat line on the table because their body didn't react well to anesthesia. People who have been cleared and deemed healthy.

Ok so I was just laying her having random thoughts and I actually think I've come up with a good comparison about being anxious on the operating table.
Its kinda like a thrill ride. Let's take RNRC for example... you are waiting in line building up anticipation (I like thrill rides so its more of an exciting feeling vs scared) and it seems like the line is taking forever. You're talking to your family about what you'll be doing later and passing the time. Then suddenly its your turn and you're thinking ok here we go! and as Steven Tyler counts down you get butterflies and zoom there you go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and straight into a loop.
In the hospital its like you're waiting and building up the anticipation more scared than excited. It feels like its taking forever and then you're wheeled into the OR and zoom everything is going so fast. Monitors are being put on left and right, you're asked if you're ok, you're told ok you're going to sleep now, here breath in some oxygen, goodnight.
I feel like if they maybe wheeled me in and hooked me up and made me wait there for a few more minutes I'd have a chance to catch my breath before the launch.
I think the quickness of it all overwhelms me a bit.

BTW I still don't know if I'm having the surgery.
The waiting to hear from the Dr's office is killing me.
They said they'd call in no more than a week. Well its been a week and nothing.

The surgery doesn't scare me. The anesthesia leaves me nervous as heck. I know with working in surgical care that most problems come up with complications of anesthesia. You just never know how your body will react to it. We've had healthy people flat line on the table because their body didn't react well to anesthesia. People who have been cleared and deemed healthy.

Probably NOT what the OP wants to hear. LOL

After reading through this thread I'm very happy with how I handle anesthesia and the process! I've had 4 surgeries as an adult, I was nervous the first time only because I didn't know what to expect. From there on it's been smooth sailing. I've been very lucky that in each of my four surgeries I've been the first one of the day, which means I'm not in the waiting room nearly as long as others.

I take to anesthesia really well. I never even remember getting rolled into the operating room and typically don't remember how I got home! I've thankfully never come out of anesthesia feeling sick or anything like that, I just feel very tired for a few days!

I remember last time I had surgery being wheeled into the OR and seeing friendly faces, beginning to say hi to them, and then nothing, lol. I really don't even remember waking up! First memory I have is of being on a stretcher and my PACU nurse talking to me. Ugh! I am not crazy about surgery myself!!

Last time DH had surgery, DD and I were in the pre-op area with him when the anesthesiologist gave him the first whiff of drugs down his IV, and as they rolled him off, DH was laughing maniacally! :scared1: We were lik, OMG! :rotfl2:

Its odd how so many don't remember the experience.
Even when I am given a medication beforehand or as soon as I climb onto the operating table I can very clearly remember everything and when I wake up I'm completely lucid. I'm very tired, usually throw up, and my body feels numb for a few minutes (last time at a surgery center the recovery nurse was dressing me before I could even feel my body which was annoying since the time prior to that they let me fully wake up and dress myself).
Once when I woke up Jeopardy was on and I was answering a question correctly and my mom rushes over and asked what was wrong. I said nothing I'm just watching Jeopardy lol.
In one way I wish I did have amnesia but in another way I like that I know what happened.

The Dr's office called.
Its a definite April 25th.
I'm excited to have the surgery and its not supposed to be a very painful or long recovery so I'm not stressing about that.
Now I have 1 month to lean the art of being zen lol.
Pre-op appointment and blood work next Thursday and then medical clearance April 19th.

The Dr's office called.
Its a definite April 25th.
I'm excited to have the surgery and its not supposed to be a very painful or long recovery so I'm not stressing about that.
Now I have 1 month to lean the art of being zen lol.
Pre-op appointment and blood work next Thursday and then medical clearance April 19th.

Good luck with everything! Hopefully they can get you in for the surgery earlier in the morning so there's less of a wait/ time for you to get anxious/ feel starving and dehydrated. ask at your pre-op if you're allowed to swish water around in your mouth and spit it out on the morning of surgery. Many times for me it's been allowed (as long as I don't swallow it) and it helps with the dry mouth. As for the Zen thing, it helps if you work on visualizing your "happy" place. Close your eyes, try to block out everything around you (helps when practicing to do this in a quiet, dark room). Try to picture the smells, the sounds, etc of your happy place, and imagine you're there. It gets easier with practice and then if you're nervous going into the OR, you can close your eyes and take yourself away to your happy place. I hope everything goes well for you.

Good luck with everything! Hopefully they can get you in for the surgery earlier in the morning so there's less of a wait/ time for you to get anxious/ feel starving and dehydrated. ask at your pre-op if you're allowed to swish water around in your mouth and spit it out on the morning of surgery. Many times for me it's been allowed (as long as I don't swallow it) and it helps with the dry mouth. As for the Zen thing, it helps if you work on visualizing your "happy" place. Close your eyes, try to block out everything around you (helps when practicing to do this in a quiet, dark room). Try to picture the smells, the sounds, etc of your happy place, and imagine you're there. It gets easier with practice and then if you're nervous going into the OR, you can close your eyes and take yourself away to your happy place. I hope everything goes well for you.

Unfortunately its at 11am so I'll be starving and dehydrated since I believe the cut off for having something to eat early in the morning is if your surgery is 1pm or later.
If they say like 8hrs instead of midnight then I will be sure to get up and drink some water prior to that mark.
If its still midnight I plan to have my usual almost midnight snack and I'm drinking a bottle of water prior to midnight so at least I'll get a good shot of hydration in my veins lol.
I think I'll try to lay in bed and just relax and breath between now and then.
I was also thinking that on the way maybe I'll watch some Disney videos on youtube.
And I'm definitely telling them as soon as I get there that I get cold easily. When I am cold I automatically get tense so if I stay warm my body will be a bit mroe relaxed.

I don't know if this is in time to be helpful, but I always ask for tons of blankets (or the x-ray vest if I'm at the dentist.) It's like one of those thunder buddy vests for nervous shaky chihuahuas :rotfl2: The pressure really helps. I get cold easily too, and the IV fluids make you even colder. They always have to stab me 100 times to get the line in as well, and I'm not bad with needles but it definitely doesn't feel good. If I pinch myself on my other arm it helps me not focus so much on the repeated stabbing.

I am an insomniac though, so I almost look forward to anesthesia as it's one of the only times I actually feel rested. Think of it like a really solid nap! Good luck!

Just remember, advancements in surgery have come SO far in just a short amount of time. Even the largest surgeries are no big deal any more, and you definitely have the best of the best and highest trained staff around you at all times. There is literally no safer place than in the hands of those workers.

I don't get nervous - I'm the opposite, I think it's all so cool. HAHA I had 3 surgeries for my breast cancer and by the time I heard I needed a third I opted to stay awake through it! Loved it! Literally set up right after and walked away. That was weird just walking out of the OR but man no side effects from being put under.

For those that do get sick from the anesthesia - tell the doc before you go in. Mine gave me these patches behind my ear I think and I never got sick. It was awesome.

For those that have veins hard to get to for the IV - make sure your drinking lots and lots of water up until you can't have anything. It helps plump up your veins.

I am probably having surgery soon.
It wouldn't be the first time (last surgery was 6 years ago though) and I know "the drill" but I still get anxious and I know its normal but that foreboding feeling drives me nuts.

The day of I'm hungry and dehydrated, then I get really cold and shaky.
I have found that if I wear fuzzy socks very my regular socks that does help with the cold and shaky part.
I start getting nervous about getting the IV not because I'm squeamish but because its always hard for them to get a vein so either they are smacking my hand for 10 minutes or they poke me 5 times.

I can actually manage to suppress the anxiety pretty well during all that BUT then comes the O.R.
It feels like "there's no turning back now muahahaha" and suddenly fight or flight kicks in because I don't like the lack of control I have from that point forward.
My reaction is more mental than physical. I want to cry and I feel sick to my stomach.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Have you found any techniques that help calm you so you can kinda just sit back and enjoy the ride?
I'd love to find a way to be chill about it instead of feeling and probably looking like everyone is trying to kill me lol.

You can use "control" to minimize anxiety. We have black belts in this dept. My dd has had syncope since she was a kid and now she is 21.

You can say, I am having major anxiety, let me speak with the doctor. Then go over your options for lessening it. They may be able to give you meds.

Biofeedback/Breathing techniques is a non drug way of maintaining control of yourself as well. It is rhythmic deep breathing. There are many benefits as well as calming effect. My dd has become pretty good at it. Her last couple of blood draws & a dental procedure she did very well and did not pass out. So progress IS possible.

As far as myself, I close my eyes and start breathing to go to sleep. That works for me.

Good Luck!

ETA...for those of you who get sick, get your medical records and the case notes from your previous surgeries and let the doctors read them when they come to talk to you about anesthesia. It will be a detailed account of your procedure.

Last edited:
I've had 5 surgeries and DH has had 4. We look at it this way, it's to fix what is wrong. 200 years ago, I've would of been dead at 23 and DH at 35. Definitely look at it as the glass half full. Lots of warm blankets beforehand helps to relax. Everyday small talk of what are your plans this weekend, next vacation, holidays, you're next big meal, etc. do help. Having a support person with you until they take you away helps HUGE. Me & DH have played cards. IMO I do find the nurses in the surgery department way more accommodating, outgoing, and warm. Don't be afraid to ask for anything.

Before I had all my lady parts removed I was have a surgery a year for about 5 years. It doesn't bother me except I'm allergic to codeine so can't take the pain meds after, which sucks and have a severe reaction too anesthesia, which means they have use the bare minimum on me. I actually woke up in the middle of one surgery (the last one oddly enough). I can remember the doctor saying I shouldn't be moaning and to check me and everyone kind of freaking out. I also remember it hurt like heck. I've never had any panic issues either, I don't watch when they put the IV in because I faint at the sight of blood but otherwise I'm good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter